Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2016 11:35:40 PM EDT
I am going to buy a revolver next month.  I've thought about all that I want to do with this weapon.

1.  Full Size Carry Sidearm
2.  Lots of Range time with 357 Magnum loads
3.  More range time with .38 Special loads
4.  Owning a 357 cause Murica!

I've compared the GP100 to the Smith & Wesson 686 in similar barrel lengths circa 4."  I have muscle memory with the controls on the S&W from carrying a Model 15 over thirty years ago.  It feels light in the hand, however, the Ruger GP100 fills my hands better.  I was able to rent a S&W 686 for a few rounds, damn was I impressed with the beginner's luck accuracy at 25 feet.  Yeah I know that is not far.  Will the GP100 be a better fit for me?  I do plan to reload for this weapon as well.  The 6" barrel is much the same price as the 4" barrel but I plan to go with the 4" barrel so it can be carried with some dignity.

I fent and bought the GP 100 4" barrel.  The revolver met every expectation.  The first rounds down range this afternoon were 357 Magnum Ball.  Wow!  The concussion was amazing.  The trigger pull felt smooth with a clean break.  Double action worked very well, in fact follow up shots were faster than expected.  The accuracy at 15 yards was minute of bad guy after the first couple of rounds.  I am satisfied that I can put rounds into a 12" Circle at that distance.   I will need some more practice before I begin carrying this new revolver.  One of the applications I did not list in this post originally was to take it to a Three Gun Match.  This will be a hoot for that and also provide me with some practical trigger time under stress of time limits.  Flinching after a few 357 rounds seems par for the coarse.  I will not be so proud to find some 38 SPL to practice with.  Total rounds fired today was around 56 of full power 357 most of which were Tula 158 Grain rounds.  For now, the only thing I want to change is the front site to a fiber optic to help pick up the target picture.  Fifty year old eyes really handicapped me this afternoon.  His name is Thor's Hammer.  Oh forgot Murica!
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Had both.

Sold the 686

GP100 is better
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are good expensive .357's although went to the local Cabela's and they had an EAA .357 with six round for cheaper than all the .38 specials with 5 rounds. Although Never heard of them and research says the gun is made by Weihrauch out of Germany yet it appears that they import the 4" and chop it down to a 2" yet the sites from the one I looked at didn't seem it was chopped down.And was definitely heavy on the barrel end which would be good for .357 loads in it. Just haven't found out much about them except being cut down two inches and people bitching about the crown on it. For $300 didn't seem like a bad price. Just want to see if anyone else knows anything about it. Asked around at work for the gun guys and they never heard of European American Armory. Most reviews I have see said that they were good till about 2k rounds then shit fucked up. I am looking at it for HD so will probably never hit the round count to fuck it up. Yet all steel frame is always good. And felt nice in the hand. Just one draw back was the 2" barrel I would love to have at least 4" if not 6" just because that round loves the longer barrel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used both the GP100. Both are very good revolvers. Either would be a good choice.
If I could only have one, it would be the GP100 - specifically the Match Champion with adjustable sights.
If you go with the 686 instead, I would recommend the Plus model with the 7 shot cylinder.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]
GP100 with 10# hammer/8# trigger wolff springs, hi viz front sight is what you need!

Or MC with jeweled internals.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
find a clean older 686

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#6]
S&W!

Just my perspective so don't get your panties in a bunch of you don't agree.

So I own a Ruger (Blackhawk 357/9mm Convertable) and it is a fine revolver but if you are going to shoot your revolver a lot a S&W is a finer revolver.  Everyone talks about how strong Rugers are (and I don't dispute that) but when you look at what the top revolver shooters in the world are shooting it is almost always a S&W.  If you going to hot rod cartridges and just shoot a few of those fireballs till you can't think right a Ruger is a fine choice but if your going to shoot high volume think S&W

The USPSA Revolver Nationals, since 2013 is a stand alone match.  The match attracts the best revolver shoots from all over.  The match frequently has 100+ shooter in attendance (except this year, 86) and yet you can count the number of Ruger shooters in attendance on one hand.  Two hands would cover 2013 to 2016 added together.  These guys are shooting their body weight in bullets or more through there revolver each season and they almost always select a S&W.  Now we can argue USPSA rules catered to S&W since they allow the 7 & 8 shot revolver to play and even before that rule change the rules heavily favor the 45 ACP revolver.

So IDPA is far more friendly to Rugers product line.  The Ruger Match Champion was made for IDPA rules (or was that the other way around).  So even with a rule system much more friendly to Ruger's revolver products the IDPA nationals the last few years I can find data for is still 80+% S&W in the Revolver division(s).  The best revolver shooter almost always pick S&W.  No doubt a similar story could be told with ICORE.

OP I would serious give a 686+ (7-shot) a look and if you might also give a 627/327/R8 (N-frame 8-shot) a look.  You say the GP100 fits your hand better.  That maybe true but revolves because of the frame can accommodate a huge variety of grips shapes.  There are more grip shape and material for revolver grips then you can imagine.  I would not shy away from the S&W just because of the grip.  A grip can be bought or made that will make your hands happy on almost any revolver out there.

A rambling S&W lover...  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have owned multiples of both.  For esthetics and collectibility I would go with the S&W hands down.  If you just want something to shoot that is tough as nails, get the Ruger.   Or be like me and get both then be happy.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]

the old K-frame gets beat up by hot 125gr magnum loads

the L-frame ( 586 686 etc ) is designed from day one to handle a lifetime of magnum loads

GP100 looks stronger because it's cast
S&W are forged

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had both.

Sold the 686

GP100 is better
View Quote

This. Had 681PC. Bought GP100 WCII. Sold 681PC and bought second GP100 WCII.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I own a gp100. My friend owns a Smith. Honestly, they both shoot the same to me. The Smith is a little more refined in looks. Trigger seems the same to me as well. Both will last forever even with hot H-110 loads. So basically it boils down to price. Good luck with either great revolvers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have owned both and prefer the Smith. It's got the better trigger, better sights, and an extra shot (686+). The Ruger is a hog, but that came in handy once when my son had to use it to pistol-whip a bear. It came into their campsite one night and stuck its nose in their tent. He couldn't shoot it because of Rule #4.

The difference is not great, though. You'll be happy with either.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have used both the GP100. Both are very good revolvers. Either would be a good choice.
If I could only have one, it would be the GP100 - specifically the Match Champion with adjustable sights.
If you go with the 686 instead, I would recommend the Plus model with the 7 shot cylinder.
View Quote

All this.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

S&W!

Just my perspective so don't get your panties in a bunch of you don't agree.

So I own a Ruger (Blackhawk 357/9mm Convertable) and it is a fine revolver but if you are going to shoot your revolver a lot a S&W is a finer revolver.  Everyone talks about how strong Rugers are (and I don't dispute that) but when you look at what the top revolver shooters in the world are shooting it is almost always a S&W.  If you going to hot rod cartridges and just shoot a few of those fireballs till you can't think right a Ruger is a fine choice but if your going to shoot high volume think S&W

The USPSA Revolver Nationals, since 2013 is a stand alone match.  The match attracts the best revolver shoots from all over.  The match frequently has 100+ shooter in attendance (except this year, 86) and yet you can count the number of Ruger shooters in attendance on one hand.  Two hands would cover 2013 to 2016 added together.  These guys are shooting their body weight in bullets or more through there revolver each season and they almost always select a S&W.  Now we can argue USPSA rules catered to S&W since they allow the 7 & 8 shot revolver to play and even before that rule change the rules heavily favor the 45 ACP revolver.

So IDPA is far more friendly to Rugers product line.  The Ruger Match Champion was made for IDPA rules (or was that the other way around).  So even with a rule system much more friendly to Ruger's revolver products the IDPA nationals the last few years I can find data for is still 80+% S&W in the Revolver division(s).  The best revolver shooter almost always pick S&W.  No doubt a similar story could be told with ICORE.

OP I would serious give a 686+ (7-shot) a look and if you might also give a 627/327/R8 (N-frame 8-shot) a look.  You say the GP100 fits your hand better.  That maybe true but revolves because of the frame can accommodate a huge variety of grips shapes.  There are more grip shape and material for revolver grips then you can imagine.  I would not shy away from the S&W just because of the grip.  A grip can be bought or made that will make your hands happy on almost any revolver out there.

A rambling S&W lover...  

View Quote
No kidding.

- A S&W shooter.

Rugers are great revolvers. The biggest influencing decision between a GP 100 and a 586/686 is how you like to hit the cylinder release. Everything else is almost equal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an older pre-lock 686 I really like.

Never owned or shot the Ruger but it looks solid as well.

Really comes down to price if you plan to keep them both forever. If you think you may sell in the future get the Smith & Wesson
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Own both and both are fantastic wheel guns. If you can swing a deal on a used GP100, and budget is an issue, go with that.

If you have some time to search and can spend a bit more, pre-lock 586/686 would be what I'd hit the ground looking for. You might be able to reel one in for the same price as a new GP100.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

All this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All this.

Can't go wrong with either one.  I've always owned at least one .357 for the last 30+ years.  Still have a Colt King Cobra, a couple of S&W K-frames, and a GP100.  The last one I bought is the Ruger MC mentioned above.  Love it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#18]
The 686 and GP100 are both good choices and the group I shoot with has multiple examples of each. I own the 4" GP100 and I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my Rugers. I have two 4" GP100's as my primary HD guns, one upstairs and one downstairs. They are affectionately known as the "Twins". I bought them initially because I like the way they look and the price. As an added bonus, they shoot incredibly well. Everyone in the house loves those two revolvers better than any other gun we have.

That said, S&W and Ruger are both fine guns and you should chose the one that fits your hand and shoots the best. Period. Quality is not an issue with either. Buy the one YOU like not what others like. You won't go wrong.

roy d...good luck and happy shooting
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#20]
For regular carry I would suggest the 3"

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Those are good expensive .357's although went to the local Cabela's and they had an EAA .357 with six round for cheaper than all the .38 specials with 5 rounds. Although Never heard of them and research says the gun is made by Weihrauch out of Germany yet it appears that they import the 4" and chop it down to a 2" yet the sites from the one I looked at didn't seem it was chopped down.And was definitely heavy on the barrel end which would be good for .357 loads in it. Just haven't found out much about them except being cut down two inches and people bitching about the crown on it. For $300 didn't seem like a bad price. Just want to see if anyone else knows anything about it. Asked around at work for the gun guys and they never heard of European American Armory. Most reviews I have see said that they were good till about 2k rounds then shit fucked up. I am looking at it for HD so will probably never hit the round count to fuck it up. Yet all steel frame is always good. And felt nice in the hand. Just one draw back was the 2" barrel I would love to have at least 4" if not 6" just because that round loves the longer barrel.
View Quote

My EAA Windiactor lasted 50 rounds before a buddy slapped the cylinder open and closed detective style. Shipping both ways to EAA repair.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am going to buy a revolver next month.  I've thought about all that I want to do with this weapon.

1.  Full Size Carry Sidearm
2.  Lots of Range time with 357 Magnum loads
3.  More range time with .38 Special loads
4.  Owning a 357 cause Murica!

I've compared the GP100 to the Smith & Wesson 686 in similar barrel lengths circa 4."  I have muscle memory with the controls on the S&W from carrying a Model 15 over thirty years ago.  It feels light in the hand, however, the Ruger GP100 fills my hands better.  I was able to rent a S&W 686 for a few rounds, damn was I impressed with the beginner's luck accuracy at 25 feet.  Yeah I know that is not far.  Will the GP100 be a better fit for me?  I do plan to reload for this weapon as well.  The 6" barrel is much the same price as the 4" barrel but I plan to go with the 4" barrel so it can be carried with some dignity.

I fent and bought the GP 100 4" barrel.  The revolver met every expectation.  The first rounds down range this afternoon were 357 Magnum Ball.  Wow!  The concussion was amazing.  The trigger pull felt smooth with a clean break.  Double action worked very well, in fact follow up shots were faster than expected.  The accuracy at 15 yards was minute of bad guy after the first couple of rounds.  I am satisfied that I can put rounds into a 12" Circle at that distance.   I will need some more practice before I begin carrying this new revolver.  One of the applications I did not list in this post originally was to take it to a Three Gun Match.  This will be a hoot for that and also provide me with some practical trigger time under stress of time limits.  Flinching after a few 357 rounds seems par for the coarse.  I will not be so proud to find some 38 SPL to practice with.  Total rounds fired today was around 56 of full power 357 most of which were Tula 158 Grain rounds.  For now, the only thing I want to change is the front site to a fiber optic to help pick up the target picture.  Fifty year old eyes really handicapped me this afternoon.  His name is Thor's Hammer.  Oh forgot Murica!
View Quote

Nice, can't go wrong with a GP100.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:57:42 AM EDT
[#23]
This ad is directly implying ruger manufacturing technology is bogus.
Damn smith you are outta line!!!!!

Quoted:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/Smith%20revolvers/ad_686vsgp100.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/Smith%20revolvers/ad_686vsgp100.jpg</a>

the old K-frame gets beat up by hot 125gr magnum loads

the L-frame ( 586 686 etc ) is designed from day one to handle a lifetime of magnum loads

GP100 looks stronger because it's cast
S&W are forged

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top