Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2016 8:20:41 PM EDT
Local pawn shop has one of these for $599.  Finish on it looks brand new, guy said it went back to S&W for a refinish and these LE guns had a matte finish on them.  Dont know if he was BS'ing but it wasn't a blue like my 19-3.

It had the smaller grips on it , I think they are called the magna?  Dont know if those are original to the gun either...I seem to remember them with bigger grips.

Thoughts on grips, finish, price?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
28's were the budget 27's.  The finish was a matte blue.  Non checkered top strap.  

Your gun from the description is original
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quick search on GB shows that to be at or a little under the going rate, and probably expected for refinished gun.  
If it's one thing I've learned about the older Smith market, if you have the money, and you like the gun buy it.

At worst it's value will rise with inflation. At best, it's value will increase above the rise of inflation.

In either scenario, you have a great pistol that you can still shoot and enjoy and as long as you don't completely thrash it to death or let it rust out will retain value.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The finish is correct and IIRC the grips are correct too.  A quick look at gunbroker says you have a very reasonably priced LGS.  Looks like a buy if you like and have the money situation.  Haggle and see if there's any wiggle room.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What barrel length?

2 1/2"?  You'd better run and get it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought four ex-Texas Department of Public Safety police trade-ins back when I had my FFL.  They were in the low twos, but long ago.  Came with the big grips.  And the finish was more 'modest' the high polish and blue.  Texas specified the pencil barrel, must be 4 inches or so.  Perfect in my book.

I would be tempted at $599.  But I wouldn't be saying "shut up and take my money".

Grips can always be changed out.  Search term would be "Smith Goncalo Alves"

By the way, N-Frame Smiths are my favourite.  And you can't beat the trigger.

Ray
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy!  Smith revolver prices keep going one way and it's not down.  A 27 or 28 is on my list to acquire.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#7]
It was a 3 or 4 inch barrel....what ever the standard length was.  Def not a 6".

I'm going to go back sometime this week to check it out again, wanted to grab the serial # to see when it was made and try and grab some pics.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was a 3 or 4 inch barrel....what ever the standard length was.  Def not a 6".

I'm going to go back sometime this week to check it out again, wanted to grab the serial # to see when it was made and try and grab some pics.

View Quote

The Highway Patrolman (model 28) was available with a 4 or 6 inch tapered barrel. Magna grips were standard but Target grips were optional.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Bring cash.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought four ex-Texas Department of Public Safety police trade-ins back when I had my FFL.  They were in the low twos, but long ago.  Came with the big grips.  And the finish was more 'modest' the high polish and blue.  Texas specified the pencil barrel, must be 4 inches or so.  Perfect in my book.

I would be tempted at $599.  But I wouldn't be saying "shut up and take my money".

Grips can always be changed out.  Search term would be "Smith Goncalo Alves"

By the way, N-Frame Smiths are my favourite.  And you can't beat the trigger.

Ray
View Quote

The guys down here used to swap the grips all the time. The Goncalo Alves were checkered and we also had factory Rosewood. They were matched halves and were smooth. pretty common.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
talk him down to $550 then buy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The Model 28 is a great revolver.  Post a pic if you get it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Finish should be a less polished blue with a bead blasted appearance around the edges of the frame.

Great guns, basically a M27 with less fluff and buff. Offer a bit less and fo. Grips sound original, I believe pretty much all HPs shipped with magna's. Pulling the grips for a matching serial will tell you for sure.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy!  Smith revolver prices keep going one way and it's not down.  A 27 or 28 is on my list to acquire.
View Quote

This, I'd make an offer given its a pawn shop and fo. 4" guns seem to bring a small premium over 6".
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
That seems like a good deal to me, especially on the 4" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
It seems high to me but I bought mine new for around $350 in the mid-1980's.

Yes the finish on these were duty grade, not the high polished finish of their other models. It was meant to be a work revolver to be carried and used a lot.

They are every bit as nice to use in the field as any other S&W N frame. Built for much larger and more powerful rounds (.44 Magnum) the frame handles full power .357 with ease.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Highway Patrolman (model 28) was available with a 4 or 6 inch tapered barrel. Magna grips were standard but Target grips were optional.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Model 28 came in 5" barrel as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about that? I thought they were 4" and 6" only also.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

yes the 27 was offered in 3" - fbi issue & 5", the 28 was 4&6 only.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]
If it is a 4 inch, buy it.

It is probably the best .357 service pistol in terms of ease of shooting. The weight soaks up recoil well and it handles the 180gr .357's like a Ruger, while being better looking and have a better trigger than the Ruger.

Here is a late '54 Highway Patrolman to whet your appetite.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Model 27 was offered in a variety of barrel lengths.  I have two.

a Pre Model 27 3 1/2 inch (hard chromed long before I got it)

A 5 inch 27-2 (wear stag grips these days)

And my brothers 1965 vintage 6 1/2 inch 27

And I have a pair of 28-2's

4 inch Gemini customs tuned gun

and a 6 inch

Bottom Gun, top to bottom 4 inch 28, 5 inch 27, 6 inch 28

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top