Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2016 11:58:11 AM EDT
So I'm leaning toward a GP100 and was wondering about the Match Champion version. Worthwhile upgrade? It would be used for practice and woods carry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The MC is running $700 to $800.  Stock GP is mid $500 and up.  The price difference small enough to me that I'd probably lean toward the MC.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The MC is running $700 to $800.  Stock GP is mid $500 and up.  The price difference small enough to me that I'd probably lean toward the MC.
View Quote

Same predicament I was in last month....found the GP for $200 less, added Hi Viz front sight, 10$ Wolff hammer/trigger spring kit and it's a no brainer.  The MC has the sights and jeweled trigger job, and is lighter.......but not worth the extra money IMO.  My buddy actually preferred my GP trigger over his stock/polished MC.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a match champion.  Aesthetically I like it better than the regular gp100. Is it worth the extra cost?  Thats for you to decide.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So fair to say it's mostly aesthetic plus a nicer trigger that could be achieved on a regular GP?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Imo, worth the $$$.  I have a Smith model 27 as well.

I prefer the match champion.

But, my first action for any firearm is to improve the trigger.

The match champion has no Room for  improvement.

And it's beautiful, imo.

Txl
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Imo, worth the $$$.  I have a Smith model 27 as well.

I prefer the match champion.

But, my first action for any firearm is to improve the trigger.

The match champion has no Room for  improvement.

And it's beautiful, imo.

Txl
View Quote

The MC jeweled trigger is sweet...the grips are a nice touch as well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Same predicament I was in last month....found the GP for $200 less, added Hi Viz front sight, 10$ Wolff hammer/trigger spring kit and it's a no brainer.  The MC has the sights and jeweled trigger job, and is lighter.......but not worth the extra money IMO.  My buddy actually preferred my GP trigger over his stock/polished MC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This....I bought my stainless  gp100 used. Had the green fiber optic front sight and Wolf spring kit already for $500. Spent another  $100 on hogue hardwood grips and still had less in it than the MC sitting next to it. I wasn't too impressed with the trigger on the MC after feeling the one my gp100. And I prefer a full underlug
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with the Match Champion.  For me, it was worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at the MC, but I got to wonder about that horrible display of machining in the cutout for the ejector rod. Such a expensive piece, and they couldn't finish the cut a little nicer than that?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot my friends MC. I have a stainless 4 inch gp and a 6 inch Talo gp100 non fluted cylinder. I prefer the Talo over the MC. The trigger really isn't that much better on the MC.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both. Even after working on the standard one the MC is better.

My MC's trigger is as good as my 686 no dash. I might have just got a good one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have both. Even after working on the standard one the MC is better.

My MC's trigger is as good as my 686 no dash. I might have just got a good one.
View Quote

It's no fluke...MC is legit!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:24:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Sweet... What lenght barrel is that ? Thanks WD      
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/1979hondatrail90/media/GP100_1_zpsepwbuhx2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s477/1979hondatrail90/GP100_1_zpsepwbuhx2.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I debated back and forth for a while and decided the extra features of the MC were worth the extra price, and would keep me from wanting to spend money and time to upgrade it.  I certainly have not been disappointed with it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like my MC.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/1979hondatrail90/media/GP100_1_zpsepwbuhx2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s477/1979hondatrail90/GP100_1_zpsepwbuhx2.jpg</a>

That looks like the 3" Wiley Clapp edition GP100. Not 100% sure though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:31:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I really like the ascetics, grip and trigger on my Match Champion.

About the only thing I don't like is the billboard engraving on the side.

I paid 719 for mine. I did the math and I figured that by the time I was done modifying a stock GP to what I wanted I would be well over that. Unless I got an absurd deal on a used one. I have been very happy with my purchase. One of the guys I shoot with, who has bought and sold more guns than I can count has told me that I should never sell it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a 3" which IMO is the perfect length for the GP.

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my opinion, not worth it.
I own a GP100, it's good as it is.

Make sure you get a 5 inch barrel.

Besides, the revolveritto won't turn out good with the MC...

Taco is hot!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I've owned both. I had one of the first Match Champions to hit and it looked like it was built by Stevie Wonder and finished by Ray Charles... When Ruger got it back in house they called to tell me that it never should have been allowed out the door. That said, they built me a new gun and had it back to me pretty quick (less than 2 weeks IIRC) and it was fine. The gun shot well, pointed very well and was robust. I had the early model with the fixed rear sight. That always bugged me. The wood stocks on the MC beat up my hand so I used Pachmary grips... and the stock front sight on the MC was NOT a quick change unit like those on the standard GP100.... I ran the gun in IDPA and it performed very well.

That said... my '96 GP100 was smoother, had the quick change front sight and an adjustable rear sight and I didn't pay extra for the wood stocks so it didn't bother me to put pachmayr grips on that one.....

For the money I would buy a clean, standard GP100. They are a tough, stout, robust gun... I shoot Smith & Wesson 686SSR's but the GP100 is a fine revolver. Given your intended use I think you would be very happy with one. As a buddy of mine always says, "It's a Ruger... you can shoot roofing nails through the thing and you won't hurt it".... I tend to agree.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So I'm leaning toward a GP100 and was wondering about the Match Champion version. Worthwhile upgrade? It would be used for practice and woods carry.
View Quote

I can't say I care for the trigger on either.    Then again I own S&Ws, Colts, and Dan Wessons.   So, it isn't a fair comparison.

Now here is something funny.   I like the trigger on the LCR, moreso than that of the MC.

Having said that, since the GP100 and MC are not safe queens, they make great shooters or beater guns.    I think of them like Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]

GP100 Talo.   Just another option to think about
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I do not like full under lugs so it was a no brainer when I saw the Match Champion.  It balances so much better for me than the full lug version.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Match champion for me.  I bought mine to hit the woods with too.  I have the fixed rear sight.  Like it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I so want one of those
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I so want one of those
View Quote

Worth every penny
Get one while you can as they have just about dried up. If you hunt you can still find one at a decent price but they are already fetching high prices and get snapped up quick in the more common places.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Worth every penny
Get one while you can as they have just about dried up. If you hunt you can still find one at a decent price but they are already fetching high prices and get snapped up quick in the more common places.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/ChicasPix/Forum%20Posts/48A585CB-0BB9-4C88-8BB2-A723D8303BEB_zps9jpmsegx.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I so want one of those

Worth every penny

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/ChicasPix/Forum%20Posts/48A585CB-0BB9-4C88-8BB2-A723D8303BEB_zps9jpmsegx.jpg

Selling mine was is a huge regret of mine.  I didn't have a choice at the time, but man that was a nice revolver.  

Still have my SP101 WC though.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Worth every penny

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I so want one of those

Worth every penny

Possibly the best revolver Ruger has ever made.  I carry mine from time to time.  I switched to Ruger compact grips (they're making them again).  I't s bit heavy but with proper belt and holster carries just fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#30]
You won't regret buying either one, but the MC is definitely worth the extra money.  I think it's the best choice for a 4inch gun.  Excellent trigger, balance, and grips.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the 4" GP100 and it is a great revolver.  I can shoot up to Buffalo Bore 180 grn rounds through it no problem.  I install Hi Viz sights in about 3 minutes.  I also added the Ruger rubber grips with rosewood panels.  I do not care for the MC, if I was going to spend that much, I would go ahead and get a 686 SSR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top