Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2016 3:29:54 PM EDT
So i got my new revolver home and was cleaning it and measured the barrel to cylinder gap and a .006 feeler gauge just starts to go in on the left but stops and a .011starts on the right side but only gets the tip in. I figure the left is at about .005 and the right at about .010. The b/c is also closer toward the bottom than the top too. Taking it to the range later today. I just wasnt sure of this is a problem. Im sure ideally an even b/c is desired but with these being production line im not sure you will always get that. This is my first revolver so any opinions are appreciated. If anyone wants to measure the gap on both sides it would be appreciated. Thanks

ETA

I am putting all this in forst post so it is easier to see:

I did a bit more measuring. The top eight starts a .011 gauge. The bottom right starts a .007 gauge. The top left starts a .006 and the bottom left wont even start a .003 gauge. Not sure what i should do. I am assuming this needs to be corrected, right?

Noticed a couple other things. The cylinder seems to not be straight. It angles down at the front. Not sure if it is a problem or not.

Also the barrel seems to not be straight with the frame. The barrel looks like it is angled down.

I am not familiar with revolvers so I am not sure of the proper terms. Any insight in to what is going on is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
See how well it shoots.  Most likely not an issue.  All makers have opened up the cylinder gap in recent years and it doesn't seem to have effected accuracy.  The only concern I would have is .005 is very tight and you may get some crud build up.  Regular cleaning will cure that.  I suspect the forcing cone is the culprit here.  

I've owned revolvers for decades and still have close to twenty.  I don't own a feeler gauge and have never felt the need to acquire one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I own feeler gauges for work purposes so i fugered i would give it a quick measurement. I suspect the bottom os probably tighter than .005 since the gauge .005 gauge still wont go all the way through at the bottom.

Also as anote, i tried every chamber in the cylinder and they all had the same b/c gap.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright. I did a bit more measuring. The top eight starts a .011 gauge. The bottom right starts a .007 gauge. The top left starts a .006 and the bottom left wont even start a .003 gauge. Not sure what i should do. I am assuming this needs to be corrected, right?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply. I own feeler gauges for work purposes so i fugered i would give it a quick measurement. I suspect the bottom os probably tighter than .005 since the gauge .005 gauge still wont go all the way through at the bottom.

Also as anote, i tried every chamber in the cylinder and they all had the same b/c gap.
View Quote

That tells me the forcing cut is cut ever so slightly on a slant.  You could probably relieve it with a stone.  Or if the gun doesn't want to shoot right all Ruger.  I've excellent results with them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Updated with other information in first post. thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Contact Ruger and provide them with pics before you shoot it. Tell them you don't think that this revolver is safe to shoot...
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
double post.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Try shooting it.

Bullet hits the forcing cone, not the outside rear edge of the barrel.

If it shoots bad send it back.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I would contact Ruger and send it back for correction or replacement. They have good CS and a good reputation but every so often something not right may slip out. Good Luck and keep us posted on what happens...<><....:)
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#10]
As others have said , shoot it .
As a S&W guy I claim Ruger is known for having good customer service only because they have so much practise
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
It is on its way back to ruger. Itll be a couple weeks before i get it back hopefully. I will post when I get it back and to the range.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
the crane looks bad
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah. I think I received a Friday afternoon special. Kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the crane looks bad
View Quote

+!

The top of the crane has a huge gap on the left side compared to the right side of the crane/frame fit line.
A side note:
Cylinder gaps can be anywhere from .002" to .008" with most landing in the .005"/.006" range. I have a couple of Dan Wesson's that the user can set the cylinder gaps on. It's another way to fine tune a load to the firearm. Allot of bullet like to have a .002" cylinder gap with 4 different bbl's in 2 different frames.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that a crack in the crane?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#16]
No crack. It was just some residue. I wiped it off.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Crane looks fucked. Did you order this from a distributor/gunbroker etc or did you buy it off a gun shop shelf?  Looks like someone has done the 'TV detective flip' to close the cylinder.  It can and will fuck up the geometry of the crane and frame in short order.  I bought a Thunder Ranch .44 S & W a few years back from Buds, delivered to my LGS near where I was living at the time.  I'm in the shop picking it up and a guy I shoot skeet with came into the shop and we started chatting.  I show him the new gun, still had the  S & W paper wrap etc.  I take the paper off, hand it to him.,  First thing he does is open the cylinder, then before I can even blink he flops the damn thing closed, then open, then closed.  You could hear the crane clunking each time he did it.  I grabbed it and with as much control as I could muster, explained you shouldn't do that.  I carefully looked over the gun and viewed from the front there was a massive uneven gap from the bottom front of the crane up to the barrel lug.  I got some feeler gauges and as you pulled the trigger you could see the cylinder pin was no longer plumb, the cylinder would visibly move out of round and you went from chamber to chamber.  I shuddered and (I'm not proud about it) sent it back to Bud's and they sent  me a different gun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I just got it back. The notes say they fit a new extractor, adjusted barrel gap, repaired crane fit and adjusted top strap. The barrel is now aligned with the frame. The cylinder gap is still very uneven but it is from one side to the other not at angle. Left side gap measures at .006 and right side measures at .012.  Crane fit is better. You can tell because the cylinder is more centered in the frame. It still sags in the front a bit. The top back on of the cylinder measures .023 (.58mm) between the frame and cylinder and the top front measures at .025 (.64mm). Just checked bore to cylinder alignment and it sucks. The cylinder is not aligned. I checked every cylinder some are better than others but it not centered. It is not even close. Just got it back today and gonna be calling for another label and sending it again tomorrow. Maybe some day I will be able to take my new gun to the range. Looks like it will be a month or two after I bought the damn thing. Pics below.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]

I would shoot it first and see if there is a problem. You have semi custom revolver now.

I have few Ruger revolvers and none of them is ideal; it's not Colt Python or Anaconda

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I just don't see how it won't be shaving lead when I shoot. That picture was taken with the hammer back. I stuck an empty piece of brass in there and on one side (left side when looking at the picture), the edge of the case is behind the barrel, not indexed and centered with the bore. I tried getting a picture but it is hard to light it up enough for it to show. The cylinder gap is a minor concern but the cylinder indexing issue, in my opinion, is not good.

ETA: Also if the cylinder came out just as far as the lands then I wouldn't be concerned. However, the cylinder comes out past the lands in the rifling.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I would shoot it......if it bothers you that much, sending it back and forth is going to prove to be futile.  I would push to have Ruger send you a new revolver.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I just don't see how it won't be shaving lead when I shoot. That picture was taken with the hammer back. I stuck an empty piece of brass in there and on one side (left side when looking at the picture), the edge of the case is behind the barrel, not indexed and centered with the bore. I tried getting a picture but it is hard to light it up enough for it to show. The cylinder gap is a minor concern but the cylinder indexing issue, in my opinion, is not good.

ETA: Also if the cylinder came out just as far as the lands then I wouldn't be concerned. However, the cylinder comes out past the lands in the rifling.
View Quote
Take a similar picture with the trigger held all the way back.  Remember that gun fires when the trigger is all the way back not when the hammer is cocked.  The pawl will continue to move with the trigger as you release the hammer.  Snap the gun double action then without releasing the trigger take a similar picture and see if you still have the miss alignment.  Check all the charge holes.  I suspect it will be better, maybe not better enough but better.

That said that gun has serious issues.  I would go shoot it and when you get hit is the face with shaved lead or the accuracy looks like bad buckshot patterns I would push Ruger to replace rather than repair that poor revolver.  Tell them they can use it as an example of how not to assemble a GP100 to up and coming assembly workers they are training.  But who knows maybe is will be an awesome but fugly shooter.   Shoot it then use that info to push Ruger to make it right.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Misalignment is still there even when trigger is back. Hard to get a picture showing this though. Took it to the range and i was catching blowback to the face with pretty much ever shot. I called ruger and got another label. It is going back again. Asked them to fix it properly, replace it or refund me my money. You would think they would get it right when ilt comes back but i guess it is easier just to quickly "fix" it hoping all issues have been addressed. This will be the last ruger i buy. I dont care if they have great customer service. I'd rather have a gun that functions like it should amd not have to worryabout customer service.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Misalignment is still there even when trigger is back. Hard to get a picture showing this though. Took it to the range and i was catching blowback to the face with pretty much ever shot. I called ruger and got another label. It is going back again. Asked them to fix it properly, replace it or refund me my money. You would think they would get it right when ilt comes back but i guess it is easier just to quickly "fix" it hoping all issues have been addressed. This will be the last ruger i buy. I dont care if they have great customer service. I'd rather have a gun that functions like it should amd not have to worryabout customer service.
View Quote
Bummer!  Hopefully they make it right the second time.  That would be frustrating.  Good luck!

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't shoot it, send it back the frames tweeked. All's you are going to do is eat the forcing cone up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Gp 100's are known to be very accurate and very durable but Rugers are not known for their looks or finishing.

A Dan Wesson or Smith and Wesson Performance Center is what you seek.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Gp 100's are known to be very accurate and very durable but Rugers are not known for their looks or finishing.

View Quote

I have been looking at dan wesson revolvers. Saving up for one as we speak. Wish i would have looked at DW first.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have been looking at dan wesson revolvers. Saving up for one as we speak. Wish i would have looked at DW first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't count out the s&w performance centers. They flat out shoot.

Didn't take long to find a couple of plinking loads with my favorite 38spl/357 bullet. A 640 158gr hp. Some 6-shot groups @50ft.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with dw's. Been shooting them for decades and I'm down to only 2 of them right now. I setup for beating and banging on everything with fullhouse 357 loads. They have:
Trigger jobs
Custom 1 in 10 twist bbl's for heavy (170gr) bullets.
Muzzle breaks
Heavy bbl shrouds
Low front sights for the flat shooting hv ammo
The ability to adjust the cylinder gap and the bbl tension to "tune" the firearm to a specif load is priceless.

I do keep other bbl's around for general range use/plinking.

Kept a nib dw around for awhile but eventually sold it to help fund a 308 project.

I really have nothing against rugers and wish they would get your gp100 correct. But when they had 2 bites of the apple and things don't line up I don't see 3rd trip back to ruger making that same pistol right.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Just received the gp100 back from ruger for the second time. Looks much better. Cylinder alignment is better and I have an even bolt/cylinder gap of .006.

I will take it to the tange sometime this week. They sent a target with ut and it looks to be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Well F me. So I took it the range. It shot great except on one cylinder it was tough to get the hammer back either by thumb or in DA. Ended up shooting about 50 rounds and took it home and cleaned. I checked B/C gap just out of curiosity and all cylinders were good except one. The b/c gap is tighter than .005 (my smallest feeler gauge) but still has visible light coming through. The problem is the endshake allows for the top of the cylinder to make contact with the top of the forcing cone. I must not have noticed it before. Yes, I did clean all the carbon off the two surfaces to make sure it wasn't that. Needless to say I am at a loss. Twice to Ruger and still has issues. Each time it comes back from them it has a different problem. At this point what should I do? Should I take a file to the forcing cone and shave a tiny bit to extend the B/C gap. Right now it is about .006 on all cylinders except one or two but they are still good (which are probably around .003 to .004 ( a piece of paper slides in between the B/C gap on one cylinder but gets stuck on the other)

What should I do. Send to Ruger for a third time and hope by some miracle they can actually correct the problem? see if they will just get rid of this thing and give me my money back? Put the gun in a vice and take a swipe or two with a file across the forcing cone to extend it by another .001 or .002?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Well at this point I would ask them for a replacement gun or my money back.
I'd tell them how disappointed you are that after sending the gun in twice
you're still having issues. I would not try to fix it myself.
Ruger is a damn good company but, there is no reason they shouldn't make it right!
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I know ruger makes a decent revolver. However, after this experience I would never buy one again. I dont even want this gun anymore.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I would send it back for trip number 3, mark the bad cylinder with a sharpie
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#34]
The problem is at this point i have zero faith that ruger can get ot right. This experience has soured me on there products.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Any updates ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#36]
To all folks who say shit like "just shoot it" or "if it bothers you that much" you are not helping one bit. If you are gonna say that shit just dont even bother saying.
Leave the post. Your words are worthless.

To OP and whom it may concern,

Ruger has been effing up lately. A similar shit happened to my new gp100 too.
But they fixed in one shot and its been working fine: over a thousand round n no breakage.
Yes, its ruger and it will probably function without a problem. But wtf, You paid hundreds
Of dollars on the gun. Even the cosmetic issues should be fixed by Ruger.

You are obviously not satisfied with the quality that Ruger promised so whatever you feel is wrong let
Them know and they will fix it.

Im not gonna tolerate a crooked cylinder or barrel. That just looks fucked up for the money.

At this point you deserve a new gun. (Im def late on this suggestion)

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well F me. So I took it the range. It shot great except on one cylinder it was tough to get the hammer back either by thumb or in DA. Ended up shooting about 50 rounds and took it home and cleaned. I checked B/C gap just out of curiosity and all cylinders were good except one. The b/c gap is tighter than .005 (my smallest feeler gauge) but still has visible light coming through. The problem is the endshake allows for the top of the cylinder to make contact with the top of the forcing cone. I must not have noticed it before. Yes, I did clean all the carbon off the two surfaces to make sure it wasn't that. Needless to say I am at a loss. Twice to Ruger and still has issues. Each time it comes back from them it has a different problem. At this point what should I do? Should I take a file to the forcing cone and shave a tiny bit to extend the B/C gap. Right now it is about .006 on all cylinders except one or two but they are still good (which are probably around .003 to .004 ( a piece of paper slides in between the B/C gap on one cylinder but gets stuck on the other)

What should I do. Send to Ruger for a third time and hope by some miracle they can actually correct the problem? see if they will just get rid of this thing and give me my money back? Put the gun in a vice and take a swipe or two with a file across the forcing cone to extend it by another .001 or .002?
View Quote

Personally, I would love a ruger with .002 bc gap. I dont think bc gap is still am issue for you.
Smaller bc gap only means better pressure on the projectile
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:32:31 AM EDT
[#38]
OP, it's a Ruger revolver.

It may be a bit rough on fit and finish as would be a expected from a mass produced revolver.  
It will loosen up with break in.  

You keep saying it has problems, but all I hear is your beef with dimensions.  
Is it shaving lead? Is it failing to fire? Have you dry fired it as rapidly as possible and if so does it hang up?
You have a revolver that's not even broke in yet.

Shoot 500 rounds thru it and it will just be broken in.  Then tell us how smooth the trigger is an how accurate it is.  

Personlly if using a revolver for self defense you want some loose dimensions so it goes bang every time.
The tighter the fit the less tolerant it is of dirt or fouling, less reliable.

Don't need naval lint that fell out of your feeler gauges jamming the cylinder at a critical moment.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:59:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Personally, I would love a ruger with .002 bc gap. I dont think bc gap is still am issue for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe with a clean gun that doesnt foul...

But mechanical advantage/leverage against the forcing cone on the barrel/cylinder gap will magnify it's way to the trigger making for a shit trigger pull.

.002 is not enough room on a double action gun.   Maybe on a single action like a Freedom Arms or something but not on something you might ahoot double action.

.005-.008 is a really good spot to be.

I have a 1950s 38/44 Outdoorsman that has a no shit mid 5 to 6 pound double action trigger pull.   It started to wear a bit with the barrel/cylinder gap getting tight, direct impact on the trigger pull as the gun fouled.  Resetting/shimming the yoke helped restore the b/c gap and returned the trigger pull to silky smooth perfection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP, it's a Ruger revolver.

It may be a bit rough on fit and finish as would be a expected from a mass produced revolver.  
It will loosen up with break in.  

You keep saying it has problems, but all I hear is your beef with dimensions.  
Is it shaving lead? Is it failing to fire? Have you dry fired it as rapidly as possible and if so does it hang up?
You have a revolver that's not even broke in yet.

Shoot 500 rounds thru it and it will just be broken in.  Then tell us how smooth the trigger is an how accurate it is.  

Personlly if using a revolver for self defense you want some loose dimensions so it goes bang every time.
The tighter the fit the less tolerant it is of dirt or fouling, less reliable.

Don't need naval lint that fell out of your feeler gauges jamming the cylinder at a critical moment.

View Quote

The endshake causes the cylinder to hit the forcing cone on one cylinder. That is a problem and it should be fixed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry about your issues. Just sent it back. Maybe take the grips off and you'll get a free set and maybe a Ruger hat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I sent my brand new Match Champion back today because the trigger sticks to the rear. I feel your pain. Hope I don't have to face the same issue.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Sometimes these problems are just the luck of the draw and a bunch of parts with tolerances that don't agree go together and nobody catches the fact that stuff is weird.

Other times a bad part (say a barrel with crummy crooked threads gets forced on and it tweaks the heck out of everything.

It is a shame when stuff doesn't get caught and worse yet when the gun has to travel back multiple times and still isn't right.

The OP's gun may be fixable but at this point it is clear that Ruger should have taken one look at it and tossed it in the scrap pile. The time they have invested into it and shipping has to be greater than their raw cost for a new gun.

Not like they are getting any good press about it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Just wanted to update. The gun is back at ruger getting looked at. They were very reluctant to take it back. Customer service rep said they tested and it was fine. I explained the problem and was told that it is normal for the endshake to be so excessive that cylinder hits the face of the barrel. After insisting that it was not, they agreed to look it over one more time. We shall see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm.

I'd sell it the day it got home before I even shot it or looked at it for plausible deniability.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I agree with you that the particular problem that you are experiencing is an actual problem. I was reading on another forum about a guy that was having issues with his Ruger Super Blackhawk 454 Casul. He sent it back 4 times now to fix various issues and each time it comes back it has a new issue that it didn't have before. They offered a refund. You might want to take them up on it if they can't fix it this time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I agree with you that the particular problem that you are experiencing is an actual problem. I was reading on another forum about a guy that was having issues with his Ruger Super Blackhawk 454 Casul. He sent it back 4 times now to fix various issues and each time it comes back it has a new issue that it didn't have before. They offered a refund. You might want to take them up on it if they can't fix it this time.
View Quote

If they offer a refund I will jump on it and spend a bit more to get something that will work properly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#48]
So i received it back. It looks good but i havent shot it yet. I measured b/c gap and it is good. We will see. I will report back after a range trip
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Ruger should not hesitate to scrap that revolver and give you a new one. Stories of poor quality and ever poorer customer service tend to travel far and wide. I've never owned a Ruger pistol. This thread hasn't pushed me closer to buying one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ruger should not hesitate to scrap that revolver and give you a new one. Stories of poor quality and ever poorer customer service tend to travel far and wide. I've never owned a Ruger pistol. This thread hasn't pushed me closer to buying one.
View Quote

Trust me. Last ruger i will buy. If the gun shoots i will keep it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top