Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive got a .22 snubbie i use for dog training. I like it, it always works
View Quote

Seems kind of hard on them. Ever tried a rolled up newspaper or spray bottle?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
S & W 4" 686 pre lock and call it a day.

Dave N
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have a Raging Bull in .454?  How do they hold up to use?

I'm leery of Taurus in general and haven't bought one even though I've wanted a .454 for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
NOPE!  They're Rugers, from Brazil!????
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend bought a Factory REMAN M817 38spl 7 shooter.

Guess when it goes through the REMAN process they finally take the time to get everything right so the gun does not come back again!

Ti Airweight frame, silk smooth action reminds me of a S&W model 60 just with +2 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  NOPE!  They're Rugers, from Brazil!????
View Quote

They're Smith & Wessons from Brazil.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Wow! That's a cool looking pistola!

Love those speed loaders also, awesome!

I also have been very curious about Taurus stuff. Thanks op for asking the question.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonder if there are any aftermarket hammer for the Taurus?  Want to get rid of that stupid lock!
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a Taurus 82 revolver, it's my only revolver. I had bought a used 82 for $200, it was cheap enough, but when I was cleaning it at home I noticed brass casing stuck on the rifling.  I called Taurus and they replaced the gun for me with a new one.  For $200 (plus shipping fees), I got a new 82.  For the price, I'm happy enough with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
.44 Mag Raging Bull; no complaints

bought it due to no Dan Wessons available and I had a .44 Mag itch
Still looking for a Dan Wesson or S&W 629
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my Smiths. I love my Rugers. I love my Taurus. Ive got a 4 inch 357 and a snub nosed 357 that Ive had for 15 or more years-with lots of rounds and carry time. The snub nosed gets carried quite a bit, Lots of firepower in s small package. Also LOVE my  PT99. My Taurus are all 100% reliable-exactly like my smith and wesson and rugers. I demand 100% reliablity in  defensive firearm. I know theres a lot of distrust of their guns-but Ive always had great luck. I'm seriously looking at the ultralite and the 9mm slim. I guess i bought my Taurus before the interwebs could educate me properly. LOL I guess at this point i probably wouldnt buy another without carefully checking out timing/lockup and general mechanics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Taurus quality have improved exponentially over the years. A lot of the negativity is either recycled opinions from years ago or pure snobbery. Too many reviews start with "I never owned one but"....ive read a handful of reviews from people who actually owned one and had an issue...I've also read a handful of reviews from people who have had issues with a gp100...there will always be lemons, unfortunately. The majority of reviews from people who actually own a Taurus including myself are favorable. I have never had a problem with my tracker or my model 44.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Taurus quality have improved exponentially over the years. A lot of the negativity is either recycled opinions from years ago or pure snobbery. Too many reviews start with "I never owned one but"....ive read a handful of reviews from people who actually owned one and had an issue...I've also read a handful of reviews from people who have had issues with a gp100...there will always be lemons, unfortunately. The majority of reviews from people who actually own a Taurus including myself are favorable. I have never had a problem with my tracker or my model 44.
View Quote

Well, and the massive recall, and the Brazilian police video of the shaken service pistol firing w/o the trigger being pulled.  There are legitimate reasons not to choose Taurus.  They do seem to have improved in the QC dept, and the PT111 G2 sells like hotcakes.  But I don't spend any time trying to persuade folks who dismiss Taurus.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a gaucho a few years ago. It shot about 2' high at 15~ yards. I sold it at the next gun show. The only Taurus I do and would own is the older pt92. It was actually built on beretta machines left behind after a military contract in Brazil.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#16]
608 with Hogue grips.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I own a Taurus tracker in .17hmr. Fucking thing destroys brass and is a bitch to eject, but it is an accurate gun
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  NOPE!  They're Rugers, from Brazil!????

Waat?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a used Model 66 6" back in 1991.  The guy I bought it from said he bought it back in the mid 80s I think.  He put 1000s of rounds through it and I have done the same.  The vast majority were 357 mag.  The gun shoots as good as any of my Smiths or Rugers.  I haven't had any issues with the gun so I can't really complain.

Now the newer Taurus handguns are a different story.  My buddy bought a Judge as his first handgun.  The place he bought it had a shooting range.  He bought the gun, ammo, and cleaning kit and went to the range.  On the second shot the gun locked up.  The range master tried to free the cylinder and it was so bound that they had to ship it to Taurus with the firearm still loaded.  It took about six weeks to get the gun back from Taurus.  Since then the gun has functioned fine.  I know several people that have been bitten by the quality control of Taurus.  Mostly on their semi auto guns though.  

I prefer S&W and own a 642 for an EDC.  I also own several Ruger revolvers, mostly Single action but I do own a GP 100 Match Champion that I really like. I fight with the wife at the range to who gets to shoot it.  She will shoot up all the ammo if i'm not paying attention.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought a used Model 66 6" back in 1991.  The guy I bought it from said he bought it back in the mid 80s I think.  He put 1000s of rounds through it and I have done the same.  The vast majority were 357 mag.  The gun shoots as good as any of my Smiths or Rugers.  I haven't had any issues with the gun so I can't really complain.

Now the newer Taurus handguns are a different story.  My buddy bought a Judge as his first handgun.  The place he bought it had a shooting range.  He bought the gun, ammo, and cleaning kit and went to the range.  On the second shot the gun locked up.  The range master tried to free the cylinder and it was so bound that they had to ship it to Taurus with the firearm still loaded.  It took about six weeks to get the gun back from Taurus.  Since then the gun has functioned fine.  I know several people that have been bitten by the quality control of Taurus.  Mostly on their semi auto guns though.  

I prefer S&W and own a 642 for an EDC.  I also own several Ruger revolvers, mostly Single action but I do own a GP 100 Match Champion that I really like. I fight with the wife at the range to who gets to shoot it.  She will shoot up all the ammo if i'm not paying attention.
View Quote

There used to be a sight called something like "handgun review .com", last I checked it's no longer around, but it was sorta like a forum, but all you could do was write reviews. Anyways, there were tons of reviews about Taurus's jamming up just like that. I remember somebody saying their Taurus revolver jammed up like a cheap Saturday night special.
In my area I notice dealers asking the same price for a Taurus as a s&w. One dealer here had a Taurus and a similar s&w and one was like $445 and the other was like $460. When the price is even close I'd go s&w all day. So basically no reason for me to even try a Taurus. Now if they were like $200? Yeah, I'd roll the dice. If you want a $200 snubby though go look at the rock island m206. I've been watching them get great reviews and also watch as they are out of stock and prices climbing.
Eta, it's the same thing with charter arms around here, charter was always a cheap Saturday night special type of gun, but they are only about 20 to 50 dollars difference bwteen s&w where I live. Closer to $20 I think.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Waat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  They're Smith & Wessons from Brazil.

Waat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_(manufacturer)

In 1971, the Bangor Punta Corporation, then the parent company of Smith & Wesson, purchased 54 percent of Forjas Taurus, allowing the two firearms manufacturers to easily share information regarding design and manufacturing. In 1977, Taurus was purchased from Bangor Punta by its current owners, and its ties to Smith & Wesson were severed.

In 1980, after Italian arms manufacturer Beretta had completed its contracts to produce firearms for Brazil's military, Taurus purchased Beretta's São Paulo manufacturing plant along with the tooling, technical drawings, and work force necessary to produce several different pistol designs.

In order to more effectively tap the U.S. market, the company created a subsidiary, Taurus International Manufacturing Incorporated, also known as Taurus USA, in 1984.

In 1997 Forjas Taurus purchased the rights & equipment to manufacture Rossi brand revolvers. They currently manufacture three .38 special models & four .357 magnum models under the Rossi name, manufactured in São Leopoldo, Brazil.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waat?

In 1971, the Bangor Punta Corporation, then the parent company of Smith & Wesson, purchased 54 percent of Forjas Taurus, allowing the two firearms manufacturers to easily share information regarding design and manufacturing. In 1977, Taurus was purchased from Bangor Punta by its current owners, and its ties to Smith & Wesson were severed.

In 1980, after Italian arms manufacturer Beretta had completed its contracts to produce firearms for Brazil's military, Taurus purchased Beretta's São Paulo manufacturing plant along with the tooling, technical drawings, and work force necessary to produce several different pistol designs.

In order to more effectively tap the U.S. market, the company created a subsidiary, Taurus International Manufacturing Incorporated, also known as Taurus USA, in 1984.

In 1997 Forjas Taurus purchased the rights & equipment to manufacture Rossi brand revolvers. They currently manufacture three .38 special models & four .357 magnum models under the Rossi name, manufactured in São Leopoldo, Brazil.

Curious to know if any SW mode s are the parallel to the Taurus M85?  Would love to replace the hammer with one that does not have the lock.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waat?

Don't confuse a business arrangement with a manufacturing arrangement.  The Taurus is no more a Smith & Wesson than the Spanish copies that were floating around in the early 20th Century.  The internals are quite different and a Taurus is not a Smith & Wesson on the cheap.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Many years ago I bought an 85 snubbie for an old girlfriend that lived WAY out in the boonies. For what it was (inexpensive, carried a lot, shot a little) it was fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a Taurus j-frame clone.  Despite the nice job bobbing the hammer, it was a POS.

"Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Tauruses."  You must have seen those bumper stickers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had a couple Tauruses and the Model 85 and the 1911 where the only good ones. I got rid of the 85 because I was planning on replacing it with a Smith or a Detective Special and never have gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had a Taurus j-frame clone.  Despite the nice job bobbing the hammer, it was a POS.

"Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Tauruses."  You must have seen those bumper stickers.
View Quote

I thought they were referring to the Ford Taurus.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Absolutely the worst revolver I have ever owned was Taurus made. Model 85 as a cheap back up gun when I first started in LEO profession. Would not hold timing. It took 2 trips back to Taurus on there dime before I sold it. Taurus is just a hair above hi point in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Taurus 44 mag Tracker, and I love it.

Very accurate, good fit and finish.

It's a project gun that I will finish up in Durabake with my own trigger job.

I mainly shoot intermediate power handloads through it.

Great rough and tumble revolver for use as a working pistol.

G.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#31]
They did name it almost correctly.........at least half ways ...and it is...LIKE BULL.................................................................................... SHIT
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I belong to a large club and have worked on and off at a small gun store. I am also old as the hills and have been messing about with guns foe 50+ years.

I am a cheap bastard and don't care about name if I can get the function I want in a item.

No doubt there are some folks who are ok with their taurus revolvers but there are also many more who have had a less positive experience .

If you want something that shoots well and don't have much money search around for a S&W with a worn finish.

If you are determined to have a new gun just save until you can swing a S&W .

Ruger single action are great for hunting and are pretty good for range use if you can deal with the slower loading and unloading

I believe for a double action revolver you have S&W and Ruger LCR line . Anything else is going to be less.

You can't justify taurus on cost as the resale is real rotten.

Grips and other aftermarket stuff for Taurus is hard to impossible to find , everyone who makes gun stuff has things for S&W guns
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top