Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2016 11:01:13 PM EDT
I was curious how well my FBI configuration (3" heavy barrel, round butt) Model 13 would do on the current FBI pistol qualification course, using 158 gr +P ammo.  

The current FBI pistol qualification course of fire is as follows:

Target used is the QIT-99 or QIT-03
Course consists of a total of 60 rounds
Each round counts as one point
Any hits inside the target area count
You must draw from concealment for every string of shots
Passing score for Agents is 48 out of 60

Stage 1: 3 yard line

3 rounds in 3 seconds using your strong hand only
3 rounds in 3 seconds using your strong hand only
3 rounds using strong hand only, switch hands, 3 rounds using support hand only in 8 seconds

Total of 12 rounds for Stage 1

After Stage 1, all shooting is done with two hands

Stage 2: 5 yard line

3 rounds in 3 seconds
3 rounds in 3 seconds
3 rounds in 3 seconds
3 rounds in 3 seconds

Total of 12 rounds for Stage 2

Stage 3: 7 yard line

4 rounds in 4 seconds
4 rounds in 4 seconds
Have two magazines loaded with four rounds each. Fire four rounds, reload, fire another four rounds in 8 seconds.

Total of 16 rounds for Stage 3

Stage 4: 15 yard line

3 rounds in 6 seconds
3 rounds in 6 seconds
4 rounds in 8 seconds

Total of 10 rounds for Stage 4

Stage 5: 25 yard line

Requires barricade.
Move to cover and fire 2 rounds standing, then 3 rounds kneeling, all in 15 seconds
Move to cover and fire 2 rounds standing, then 3 rounds kneeling, all in 15 seconds

Total of 10 rounds for Stage 5

-----

Now...the tricky part for a revolver on this pistol oriented course of fire is this portion of Stage 3:

"Have two magazines loaded with four rounds each. Fire four rounds, reload, fire another four rounds in 8 seconds."

Getting eight rounds on target in eight seconds is a challenge with a 6 shot revolver.  I found that to come close, I had to use the outdated FBI reload rather than my preferred Stress Fire reload.

Even then, the best I could accomplish in 2 qualification runs was 7 out of 8 rounds as round 8 left the barrel at 8.24 seconds on the first attempt and 8.29 seconds on the second attempt.  

Even then, it was really moving given the concealed carry start and the concealed carry of the reload.  However, I think with some practice I can shave off the extra third of a second and get 60/60.

The other stages were all easily done with around a half second to spare on the short range stages and 2-3 seconds to spare on the 25 yard stage.  If there is a major impact, it's the need to fire all rounds in the 3, 5 and 7 yards stages in DA mode, rather than with the shorter, lighter, (but rather gritty and creepy) trigger on a Glock.

The 15 and 25 yard stages offered enough time to use the revolver in SA mode, which improved the score to 59/60 on the second run, as compared to 54/60 on the first attempt.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Want, want, want, want!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Gawd, have they ever dumbed done the auto pistol course.  Partly why the emphasis on M4s and the abandonment of 870s.

ALL of the course is/should be shot DOUBLE ACTION.

You'd be laughed off the line cocking the hammer.  Its not safe.  Its barely more accurate than trained DA fire. And DA is much faster.

Before I retired, it was easy to clean the Auto pistol courses with a Smith 66 faster than the auto shooters could finish with Glocks. But the damn revolver was always empty.  I loved the Glock 22.

Replicating courses abandoned with a revolver 20 years ago is interesting, but?

The FBI methods of reloading a revolver are spot on from the era.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
When I carried a model 66 back in the late 70's we were issued dump pouches which were pretty slow to reload.  I convinced the Chief to let us carry speed loaders and I used the Safariland with the trim carrier where the actual rounds slipped over the top edge od the Sam Brown belt.  Using a proper right hand reloading technique where you open the cylinder and transfer the revolver to the weak hand and retrieve the speed loader with the strong hand I think I could pass that stage.  The Safriland speed loaders released the cartridges by pushing the loader body, not by turning a knob like on the HKS loader which requires more fine motor control and harder to use under stress.

Another advantage of the Safriland speed loader was the shells were held in the loader more rigid and were easier for me to index into the cylinder than the wobbly rounds of the HKS loader.  If you really wanted to be fast you needed to use round nose lead or jacketed round nose bullets to aid the bullets entry to the chamber.  Flat nosed hollow base wadcutters could be a little more challenging but back in the day of the revolver the stages had a lot of time to shoot each string.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gawd, have they ever dumbed done the auto pistol course.  Partly why the emphasis on M4s and the abandonment of 870s.

ALL of the course is/should be shot DOUBLE ACTION.

You'd be laughed off the line cocking the hammer.  Its not safe.  Its barely more accurate than trained DA fire. And DA is much faster.

Before I retired, it was easy to clean the Auto pistol courses with a Smith 66 faster than the auto shooters could finish with Glocks. But the damn revolver was always empty.  I loved the Glock 22.

Replicating courses abandoned with a revolver 20 years ago is interesting, but?

The FBI methods of reloading a revolver are spot on from the era.
View Quote

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or what?

I certainly don't mind shooting double action with a Model 13, and I'm not necessarily advocating using SA in a gun fight but historically, the point of having SA is to improve accuracy at longer ranges, and the 15 and 25 yard times are generous - even with a revolver.

There isn't really any point here other than seeing if the Model 13 would shoot a clean score on the current course of fire.  

As for the FBI reload, it's day was the 1930s to the early 1970s.   .357 brass after a stiff .357 mag load can stick in the chamber and may not always eject cleanly, making the Universal and Stress Fire reloads better choices than the FBI reload which was really designed for .38 Special.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Really not.
View Quote
Feel free to post a target, rather than just post.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Are there any videos out there of this qualifying drill? Interesting, all BS aside.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really not.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate the local color/waltz down memory lane - but again the point of the exercise was again just to see how well the Model 13 did on the current course, not to debate why the FBI adopted pistols in the wake of the Miami shootout.

I'm also not real worried about suit jackets as I no longer have to wear a suit.  

I agree with you, at least historically, about rubber grips -  most options back in the day did increase the trigger reach.  Pachmayr now sells their professional series which leaves the back strap exposed and is about 10% smaller than their other grips - which eliminates the problem.  They also sell their compact grips (as pictured above) which are smaller and also don't pose an issue on a K-frame,  unless you've got really tiny hands.

----

What I would appreciate are the specific for the old FBI revolver qualification course in use at the time the Model 13 was issued to agents (1980-91) since it was before my time.  

That would actually be useful information that I'd find useful for comparison purposes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Withdrawn.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Going to the range on lunch, I'll give it a shot. Wont be able to do stage 5 though since I can't really move to cover or shoot kneeling.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
The Smith 13/ 65 3"  or the Ruger Speed Six in 2 3/4" are probably the best self defense revolvers ever made. Shorter barrels but with a full length ejector rod.  

Other than looks, I don't understand the attraction to the short  barrel Smith 19.  It has the shorter ejector and is much slower to reload.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#17]
OK shooting.  

The  FBI Target needs scoring rings.  The rest of Federal LE (or at least through FLETC) uses the transition target:

Score to get out of training 210/300 (anybody with working eyes and and hands should be able to do this), I THINK the ICE minimum score was 240, Secret service minimum 270/300, expert starts at 285.   The FLETC basic qual course is a pain to find online, but it is a mix of 1.5 yard retention position shooting, 3 yards, 7 yards, 15 yards kneeling, and 25 barricade shooting.  In my opinion the FBI stresses speed which is great but if you pull all your rounds low or get consistently marginal hits you still pass.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Smith 13/ 65 3"  or the Ruger Speed Six in 2 3/4" are probably the best self defense revolvers ever made. Shorter barrels but with a full length ejector rod.  

Other than looks, I don't understand the attraction to the short  barrel Smith 19.  It has the shorter ejector and is much slower to reload.
View Quote

+1 - perfect mix of length, bulk, speed, and precision in a revolver.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I appreciate the local color/waltz down memory lane - but again the point of the exercise was again just to see how well the Model 13 did on the current course, not to debate why the FBI adopted pistols in the wake of the Miami shootout.

I'm also not real worried about suit jackets as I no longer have to wear a suit.  

I agree with you, at least historically, about rubber grips -  most options back in the day did increase the trigger reach.  Pachmayr now sells their professional series which leaves the back strap exposed and is about 10% smaller than their other grips - which eliminates the problem.  They also sell their compact grips (as pictured above) which are smaller and also don't pose an issue on a K-frame,  unless you've got really tiny hands.

----

What I would appreciate are the specific for the old FBI revolver qualification course in use at the time the Model 13 was issued to agents (1980-91) since it was before my time.  

That would actually be useful information that I'd find useful for comparison purposes.
View Quote

Well I found this document that has a lot of standards.  They do have the old FBI course that was phased out in /97 but it does not go back to the old revolver standard..  Too bad.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OK shooting.  

The  FBI Target needs scoring rings.  The rest of Federal LE (or at least through FLETC) uses the transition target:

http://www.letargets.com/images/ltr-iiflc_L.jpg

Score to get out of training 210/300 (anybody with working eyes and and hands should be able to do this), I THINK the ICE minimum score was 240, Secret service minimum 270/300, expert starts at 285.   The FLETC basic qual course is a pain to find online, but it is a mix of 1.5 yard retention position shooting, 3 yards, 7 yards, 15 yards kneeling, and 25 barricade shooting.  In my opinion the FBI stresses speed which is great but if you pull all your rounds low or get consistently marginal hits you still pass.  

View Quote

I've always wondered why FLETC wives weren't referred to as "transitional wives" like the targets.  

I agree with you on the scoring rings.  Although to be fair, the thinking originally behind the Q target (bottle target), included the CNS, heart, lungs and hip girdle.  The current  QIT is basically the same target minus the hip girdle and with boxes for CNS and cardio hits.

---

The CBP Use of Force target is based on the FLETC Transitional II target, but a) the scoring is based on CNS and cardio cardio/pulmonary hits, and b) it's subdued, so you can't use the highlighted bits as aiming points.    

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Short ejector rods are one of the reasons why the Universal and the Stress Fire reloads use the palm of the strong hand to operate the ejector rod, rather than the thumb.  It's slower but imparts more force and velocity to the rod.

The other reason is the use of the longer .357 case and a tendency for cases in maximum loads in the .357 Mag to stick in the chambers.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well I found this document that has a lot of standards.  They do have the old FBI course that was phased out in /97 but it does not go back to the old revolver standard..  Too bad.
View Quote

Thanks, I'm pretty familiar with the FBI's prior course of fire, and oddly enough I've found documentation on what passed for qualification in the 1930s. I just can't find what they did in the declining years of the revolver.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#23]
3 inch wheel guns with fixed sights are the best.

My USPI contract gun.....

S&W Model 13

GP100 3 inch

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

----

View Quote

Yeah, who would want information or background from someone actually there.  Nothing worse than first hand accurate info.

As an aside, usually when people ask for something, they acknowledge it being put up.  But I guess since you don't bother reading your PMs or respond, so be it.

Standard problem with WannaBees.  Lotta posts BSing and no info.

The course above was the core/basic revolver course for as long as revolvers were issued.  Note the 1997 date.

The other ones I had up and pulled off were secondary revolver ourses which eventually got modified into the semi-auto pistol courses.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Short ejector rods are one of the reasons why the Universal and the Stress Fire reloads use the palm of the strong hand to operate the ejector rod, rather than the thumb.  It's slower but imparts more force and velocity to the rod.

The other reason is the use of the longer .357 case and a tendency for cases in maximum loads in the .357 Mag to stick in the chambers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true,  I would prefer the little extra barrel length and the longer ejector and have some room for sticky extraction.  The grip  is the hard part to conceal anyway. Imho
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Adjustable sights I suppose, the front sight is a bit taller - that's about all I can come up with. The full length ejector rod is a real plus, no doubt about it. 3" is about ideal for a revolver used as a CCW.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Man those 13 in that set up are sexy.  I will find one some day to make mine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Move fast - Smith revolver  are going up in value all the time.   Minty older ones without the lock are limited in number and pricing for Smiths is also being affect by  the Python lunacy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
I love my Model 13..... but my Model 65 is even better!

The perfect everyday combat revolver.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/OiDa2Nxh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FiH2bqih.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/OiDa2Nxh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FiH2bqih.jpg

Yeah I have considered the Model 65 as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Neat thread OP. It's making me want to try firing our current quals with a Model 15...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I love 3" revolvers. Here's my 65 along with its somewhat rare 3" Model 632 (.32 Mag) little brother. I keep saying I'm going to bob the hammer on the 65 but haven't gotten around to it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#34]
This is awesome, gun and all.

I'm going to add this to The Official Drill of Every Couple of Weeks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I would say good shooting, becoming a lost art.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top