Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2016 4:54:21 AM EDT
I just got some S&W wood grips for my Model 19.  I installed them but found them quite loose.  When I went to take them off I was unable to remove the screw.  The screw appears to just spin.  The brass escutcheon does not spin.  I am not sure how to remove the screw.  Any suggestions?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Screw or escutcheon is probably stripped.   Best way I found is to place a punch against the screw tip on the escutcheon side.   Apply pressure and use a screwdriver to back the screw out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just got some S&W wood grips for my Model 19.  I installed them but found them quite loose.  When I went to take them off I was unable to remove the screw.  The screw appears to just spin.  The brass escutcheon does not spin.  I am not sure how to remove the screw.  Any suggestions?  
View Quote

Gun is probably ruined, better send it to me.  

Weird about the loose grips, did you buy them from S&W?  I just put new grips on my 19 today and bought them direct from them and they fit perfect.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I took it to a gunsmith and he got the screw out.  The screw and escutcheon were stripped.  He was actually able to fit a new screw.  The grips were loose because the screw wasn't engaging anything.  Unfortunately now they are still loose (thought not as bad as with the stripped screw), but it looks like they could be shimmed to fit better.  I took off the wood grips (yes they were S&W by the way) and put the Hogue rubber ones back on for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top