Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 7:39:16 PM EDT

He's not a shooter and does not own a handgun.  He has a couple of shotguns, which he only shoots on occasion.  He really liked my 686 when he shot it.
My MIL now says he wants a .22 revolver, probably around the size of my 686.  They aren't the wealthiest of folks, so price is an issue, but I do not know how much.  I have actually wanted to buy him one for a while now.  He's a wonderful, loving person and welcomed me into the family right off the bat.  
I looked real quickly at Bud's website at Charter Arms (price), Ruger, and S&W options.  The three examples I sent her were:
1. Charter Arms Pathfinder 2" (obviously a small gun)

2. Ruger SP101 4.2" in .22

3. S&W M63 3"
Can anyone point me at any other options?  I was looking at a Ruger Single-Six and -Ten as well.  I need to talk to him to figure out more what he's looking for though.
Thanks!

**Update**
They are coming down Friday and I'll take him around shopping.  A son and two daughters are giving $100 each, and my wife and I are going to put $200 in.  That's $500, and I figure, with my MIL making up the rest, we could probably get him into a NIB 617 (if he likes it).  Yeah, it would have the lock, but he wouldn't care.  I browsed a lot of shops recently and didn't find much new or used.  The only new stuff was the 617 and SP101 .22, IIRC.  Everything else was small frame.

I did speak to him briefly on the phone the other night.  I asked if he was sure he wanted .22 and he does due to ammo price.

**Update #2**

I took him to a couple of locations yesterday.  I had narrowed it down to two shops (possibly a third) to hit.  The first was a high-end tacticool gunshop.  I really like them and have been a customer for several years now, but they are typically priced higher than other places.  I told my FIL we were just stopping in to look at one gun in particular, a Ruger SP101 .22.  I figured he probably wouldn't like it as he said he wanted a larger frame gun, and that thought was correct, so we moved on.

Store number two was where I felt we'd find what he wanted.  I had the guy pull out a S&W 617, GP100, and Single-Six.  Everything else in stock was a smaller frame.  My FIL handled the Single-Six, but dismissed it rather quickly as he didn't like how it felt.  He went back and forth between the 617 6" and GP100 4".  I didn't let him ask or see what either cost, and simply said, "Pick out the one you want and don't worry about it."

He went with the GP100 and was a very happy guy!  Too bad he leaves today for Colombia for a week.  His wife won't let him have it anyway until his birthday early next month.  

Thanks for the assistance, fellas!

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Rossi R98 Plinker 6". Not bad if you don't mind a made-by-Taurus Rossi.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W model 17. If money is tight for them, perhaps offer to pay the budgetary shortfall at the shop?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Taurus tracker... I know everyone hates Taurus but those little revolvers are real nice pieces.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If there is any possible way FIL or a combo of FIL and OP can swing it the 617 (or a used 17 , also expensive) is really by far the best gun .

The Ruger single actions are nice in their own way but just god awfull slow to load and unload .

Taurus, Rossi , Charter arms --just don't do much at all for me , poor actions , poor triggers and hard to shoot at all well .

Another possible option is the Ruger LCR . Double action only and a smaller gun but a excellent trigger and a very good shooting gun .

The SP101 is a solid well built gun but in rimfire the trigger is heavy and hard to really use well .

The 63 isn't horrible but a long way from the 617
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Great options and recommendations, thanks guys.  Will be interested to talk to him and see what suits him.  This gives me something to go with.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

S&W model 17. If money is tight for them, perhaps offer to pay the budgetary shortfall at the shop?
View Quote
For cryin out loud, he's her Dad!

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at the new Ruger GP100 .22lr.  It's a 10 shot beauty
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The plan, for now, is to pay a good chunk.  Originally I wanted to buy one for him outright, but not sure if we can at the moment.

I saw that GP100 .22 last night while looking around.  It looks great!

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I hesitate to suggest this is a revolver forum...

I would have the FIL shoot a Ruger MKIII before buying him a revolver.
He may think he wants a 22 revolver, but he apparently does not have the experience
to understand the alternatives.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

He may think he wants a 22 revolver, but he apparently does not have the experience

View Quote

Well, he's shot a lot of my pistols over the years.  He has never expressed much interest in my semi-autos.  He'd say things like it was "fun," but won't talk about them afterwards....they don't seem to "do it" for him, lol.  

When I bought my 686 this Winter I let him shoot it.  FYI, it's my first revolver and the first one he shot as well.  He couldn't stop talking about how much he liked it!  He kept saying that, "If I were to buy a gun, I'd want a revolver like that!"  He had the biggest grin the whole time.  I think he'd just want .22 for plinking's sake.  When I talk to him, I'm going to pass the idea off of getting something to shoot .38spl (at least), which would be good for plinking, but also fit a good self/home defense role.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Rossi R98 Plinker 6". Not bad if you don't mind a made-by-Taurus Rossi.
View Quote

I have one of these Rossi Plinkers, a 4 inch blue. 8 shot, about the same size as a K frame. It's a pretty good shooter.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I say start looking for a deal on a s&w model 17. Mines a -6 and I love it, the trigger is great, gun is nice and heavy but balanced well. Target hammer is large and easy to cock for sa shooting. The Blued finish is very nice, way nicer than a ruger.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, he's shot a lot of my pistols over the years.  He has never expressed much interest in my semi-autos.  He'd say things like it was "fun," but won't talk about them afterwards....they don't seem to "do it" for him, lol.  

When I bought my 686 this Winter I let him shoot it.  FYI, it's my first revolver and the first one he shot as well.  He couldn't stop talking about how much he liked it!  He kept saying that, "If I were to buy a gun, I'd want a revolver like that!"  He had the biggest grin the whole time.  I think he'd just want .22 for plinking's sake.  When I talk to him, I'm going to pass the idea off of getting something to shoot .38spl (at least), which would be good for plinking, but also fit a good self/home defense role.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As you keep saying, he really likes your 686 which can also fire 38 special. It sounds like both you and he have settled on a particular type and style. As mentioned, the 617 is a great match up to the 686 for both 4 & 6 inch but they are not as inexpensive as some other options. I'm not putting it on you but maybe you could make up the difference between what he may be able to spend and the actual. There is also the used market and occasionally they do pop-up.

The center is a 686, the bottom is the 617.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I've always liked the look of the Ruger Bearcats.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is where I would go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As you keep saying, he really likes your 686 which can also fire 38 special. It sounds like both you and he have settled on a particular type and style. As mentioned, the 617 is a great match up to the 686 for both 4 & 6 inch but they are not as inexpensive as some other options. I'm not putting it on you but maybe you could make up the difference between what he may be able to spend and the actual. There is also the used market and occasionally they do pop-up.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Taipan01/Revolvers2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Taipan01/Revolvers2.jpg
Without talking to him and based on his past comments, I'd say the 617 would be the way to go.  Will shop around, thanks.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I say start looking for a deal on a s&w model 17. Mines a -6 and I love it, the trigger is great, gun is nice and heavy but balanced well. Target hammer is large and easy to cock for sa shooting. The Blued finish is very nice, way nicer than a ruger.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/24318977/412188593.jpg
View Quote

Excellent choice.  I have one just like it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 4" Taurus .22lr that is one of my favorite guns.  They tend to get a bad rap from people who have never owned or fired one.  I also have quite a selection of rimfires, so it isn't like I am a Taurus fan boy, I am just saying, pick one up and check it out for yourself.  

I looked for years before I found a vintage 617.  Ruger makes some rock solid guns too.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#19]

These are now available again with a magnum cylinder and target sights.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The S&W 617 is solid , well made , generally has a great trigger and sights and is among all of the other choices about the easiest double action revolver to shoot well. This last part is to me what makes it fun and enjoyable . The downside is both the new guns and any used one you are likely to find carry a pretty steep price tag .

The Ruger Mark I , II or III also are solid , well made with  good trigger and sights and new guns (mark IIIs) are somewhat reasonable and there are quite a few used ones out there at very reasonable prices about 1/2 what the revolver would cost you . For a new or more casual shooter the trigger on a semi rimfire is easier to lean and use while the double action trigger on a rimfire revolver takes a bit of training and learning . If one is only going to shoot single action might as well just buy the single six and save a pile of money

I like the Ruger semis but from all reports the browning buckmarks are also good .

For someone on any kind of a budget it is pretty hard to justify the price of a good revolver over the very reasonable semi in rimfire . The cheaper revolvers are generally lacking in my experience , not to be recomended
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my Single Six. It is a 6.5" bbl, blued, .22LR only. I picked it up used for less than $300.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
My 617 replaced all of my .22 handguns. Just a wonderful gun. Anyone that shoots it falls in love too. That gets my vote (or the blued one).

ETA: Since it is his first handgun, you might want to treat him to one of the NRA basic handgun safety classes. While it might sound lame, it would reinforce safe handling of his first handgun and could also be something you two do together. It sounds like you got a good FIL.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 17 is always on my want list.
I currently have a 4" 63 and would never sell it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Smith 17 or 18
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#25]
This  http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruger-Single-Six-Stainless-Steel.aspx
If you can find one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#26]
S&W 17/18/617 in a larger K frame or a nice 34/63 in a smaller J frame. Can't go wrong with any of those.

The new .22 Ruger GP100s look interesting.

Budget fun would be tracking down a used Ruger Single Six single action.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My 617 replaced all of my .22 handguns. Just a wonderful gun. Anyone that shoots it falls in love too. That gets my vote (or the blued one).

ETA: Since it is his first handgun, you might want to treat him to one of the NRA basic handgun safety classes. While it might sound lame, it would reinforce safe handling of his first handgun and could also be something you two do together. It sounds like you got a good FIL.
View Quote

Update:

They are coming down Friday and I'll take him around.  A son and two daughters are giving $100 each, and my wife and I are going to put $200 in.  That's $500, and I figure, with my MIL making up the rest, we could probably get him into a NIB 617.  Yeah, it would have the lock, but he wouldn't care.  I browsed a lot of shops recently and didn't find much new or used.  The only new stuff was the 617 and SP101 .22, IIRC.  Everything else was small frame.

Vaughn, that's a good idea on that class.  I'll check into offerings in the area.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#28]
The best pistol to give your father in law is one that shoots backwards!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Update in OP- he picked out his first handgun.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice,when he gets home lets see a range report

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice choice, hard to beat a Ruger for the money.................
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Very cool OP, hope he enjoys it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Good choice
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Different strokes and all that .

Even though I would have chose differently (I am a S&W guy ) it is very cool that the OP set things up so his FIL could make his choice and get what he wanted . The Ruger is a good gun and I would expect Pops will have a bunch of fun with it
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Different strokes and all that .

Even though I would have chose differently (I am a S&W guy ) it is very cool that the OP set things up so his FIL could make his choice and get what he wanted . The Ruger is a good gun and I would expect Pops will have a bunch of fun with it
View Quote

Thanks nhsport, and thanks everyone else as well!

I wanted to post to let you all know that I haven't forgotten about this thread, it's just that he hasn't shot it yet.  We're all getting together this next weekend for his and my son's birthday, so he'll be able to shoot it then.  Will update when I can.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Well, we all made it out to the pond yesterday!  Turns out my FIL had shot his revolver the day prior out there on his actual birthday, so I wasn't around for it.  

He said he loved it and it ran just fine with no problems.  I was hoping I'd get a few rounds on the trigger, but we decided not to shoot (I brought my 686 as well) since there were a lot of little nieces and nephews/grandkids running around.

The fishing was pretty good though!  Caught some nice largemouth and bluegill all day long.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top