Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2016 5:42:05 PM EDT
Hey guys I have a line on a Smith 681 in .357. It's got a 4" barrel and original magna service grips along with a set of aftermarket stocks. I know these are the fixed sight version of the 686. What's a good price for something like this right now? Prices on GB seem to vary quite a bit.

Edit: Pics added in post #10 below.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my regular stops on my weekly rounds of gun shop checks had a 4" 681 that was pretty nice for $700. The next week it was gone. This particular shop normally does not haggle on anything that has been out less than a few weeks so I bet it sold close to the asking price. Ironically, you would think it would be worth less than a 686 but that doesn't appear to be the case. I would have valued a similar 686 as being worth less than $700. A very nice 4" 65 wouldn't bring more than $500 around my parts
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Picked up one of the Australian Federal Police CAI imports about a year ago for $500.  The 681 is somewhat uncommon.  Total production was around 53,000.  I'd guess 686 numbers at ten times that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a police trade in many years ago with the full intent of it becoming an NRA Action revolver.  Y'all are making me glad I never got around to following thru.  At the time I had searched for one over the 686 since I didn't want to modify a "nice" 686.  This may be the best investment I've ever made.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Around here in decent shape would probably fetch $550-$600+ in a heartbeat. Prelock 686/586 guns hardly ever pop up around here. You see M19/66 and M27/28 fairly often. A certain MT pawnshop and Armslist have helped me build my prelock 686/586 collection. But in my town, hardly EVER see them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I found a tight one I'd go $500 easy.

They seem to be above $600 on gunbroker lately.

A big part of the problem is we have turned the corner from "good old surplus cop gun" to "desirable pre-lock S&W".  
View Quote

Well, although the new lock models with MIM parts aren't bad guns, I certainly place a premium on the premium made guns with no lock and forged trigger/hammer parts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]

I paid $550 for this one a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help guys.

I ended up buying it yesterday for $400 friend to friend. It's a 681 no dash with a nice set of Altamont grips on it. The original magna service grips are also included, but the seller forgot to bring them. I'll get them from him in a couple of weeks. It does not have the M stamp on it so I assume it has not had the recall service done on it. The pistol was pretty dirty, but with some scrubbing and a little Flitz polish it cleaned up nicely. I don't think it's been fired much at all. I had thoughts about converting it to a 7-shot cylinder and having the barrel shortened to 3", but I think I'll just leave it original and shoot the crap out of it. The action is excellent, especial single action, which is amazing.

I'll get some pictures up when my camera's battery is recharged.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I guuuueeess you did OK.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#10]
A couple pics.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]
That is a great looking pistol……
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Chop away at that barrel!

Only half kidding....I realize these are going up in value, and I got mine when they were sleepers.....but it is REALLY nice as a 3" round butt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice pistol and I like those grips!

That was the last revolver model my department fielded before going plastic.   Missed an opportunity or two to buy them off of retirees who wanted to get shed of them years later.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I ended up buying it yesterday for $400 friend to friend. It's a 681 no dash with a nice set of Altamont grips on it. The original magna service grips are also included, but the seller forgot to bring them. I'll get them from him in a couple of weeks. It does not have the M stamp on it so I assume it has not had the recall service done on it. The pistol was pretty dirty, but with some scrubbing and a little Flitz polish it cleaned up nicely. I don't think it's been fired much at all. I had thoughts about converting it to a 7-shot cylinder and having the barrel shortened to 3", but I think I'll just leave it original and shoot the crap out of it. The action is excellent, especial single action, which is amazing.

View Quote

Smith is still doing the modification.  I sent mine in Friday.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s311.photobucket.com/user/Tonecod/media/581015_zps38dfa00e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk462/Tonecod/581015_zps38dfa00e.jpg</a>

Only half kidding....I realize these are going up in value, and I got mine when they were sleepers.....but it is REALLY nice as a 3" round butt.
View Quote

That is sweet.......!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7 shot or 3" or both?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk462/Tonecod/581015_zps38dfa00e.jpg

View Quote
If it wasn't for hurting the value - I'd say that is an awesome modification - actually I still think it is pretty awesome regardless of the value!

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

7 shot or 3" or both?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

7 shot or 3" or both?

I think he's referring to the "M" modification.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

7 shot or 3" or both?

Yep.  S&W sent me a Fed Ex return label.  On a gun that's almost thirty years old.  I think I'm the fourth owner.  Australian Federal Police to CAI to my dealer to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Great looking gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#21]
You got a screaming bargain on that pistol. I am green with envy. That and the 581 are all I lack for my collection, and they are hard to find at a decent price. Seems the value is climbing rapidly, as with all things pre-lock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Feeling mean tonight....
http://i44.tinypic.com/scwf84.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You got a screaming bargain on that pistol. I am green with envy. That and the 581 are all I lack for my collection, and they are hard to find at a decent price. Seems the value is climbing rapidly, as with all things pre-lock.

Feeling mean tonight....

Didn't you get the 581 posted above for $200?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A couple pics.

<a href="http://s878.photobucket.com/user/zainyD/media/SampW681-2_zpslpklbgy9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab350/zainyD/SampW681-2_zpslpklbgy9.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s878.photobucket.com/user/zainyD/media/SampW681-1_zpsrmimflrv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab350/zainyD/SampW681-1_zpsrmimflrv.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Feeling mean tonight....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feeling mean tonight....

You're right, that is mean

Good score.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top