Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2016 8:18:42 PM EDT
Would it be okay to use +P .38 ammo in a model 27?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It is rated for .357 so .38 +p is fine.

+p has a max pressure of 20,000 psi.

.357 mag is 35,000 psi.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

.357 mag is 35,000 psi.
View Quote

Thanks for the extremely quick reply. I'm going to the range tomorrow and wasn't sure if I'd get an answer in time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

.357 mag is 35,000 psi.
View Quote

This. .38+P is totally fine.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Besides, it's a huge honkin N frame.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
+P .38 ammo is bunny fart material for a M27. You want to test your wrist a bit try some of the Buffalo Bore 180gr ammo.

Seriously, enjoy your 27.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome gun, enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can still seat a bullet on top of the powder in a .357 case, a Model 27 can handle it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you can still seat a bullet on top of the powder in a .357 case, a Model 27 can handle it.
View Quote
That is a pretty silly thing to type.  You fill a 357 Magnum case up with Hodgdon's Titegroup and tell me what happens.

I predict something like this.  You will find that about 12.4 grains of Titegroup will fill the case under a 158 gr Hornady XTP seated at max suggested OAL of 1.59.  The peak pressure would be a bit over 130,000 psi, but you will never get there.  At about 80,000-90,000 psi the brass cartridge would start to flow out between the recoil shield and back of the cylinder like silly putty.  That is, unless the cylinder has chosen to show you its impression of a hand grenade before the brass gets around to doing its silly-putty impression.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is a pretty silly thing to type.  You fill a 357 Magnum case up with Hodgdon's Titegroup and tell me what happens.

I predict something like this.  You will find that about 12.4 grains of Titegroup will fill the case under a 158 gr Hornady XTP seated at max suggested OAL of 1.59.  The peak pressure would be a bit over 130,000 psi, but you will never get there.  At about 80,000-90,000 psi the brass cartridge would start to flow out between the recoil shield and back of the cylinder like silly putty.  That is, unless the cylinder has chosen to show you its impression of a hand grenade before the brass gets around to doing its silly-putty impression.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I call you Sheldon or would you prefer Dr. Cooper. ;-)
I think the above post had an air of whimsy to it...
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dr Cooper will suffice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dr Cooper will suffice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dr Cooper will suffice.

My point was, unless you intentionally want a hand grenade, a M27 can take pretty much anything you put in it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My point was, unless you intentionally want a hand grenade, a M27 can take pretty much anything you put in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dr Cooper will suffice.

I figured that is what you meant but what if someone, someone rather naive, took you literally?  Kaboom!  Not to mention I wanted to see how high a pressure I could get Quickloads to predict in a 357 Mag and be a smart-arse at the same time.  I really though Red Dot or Bulleye would have done better but Titegroup is so dense it won.    I might have gotten higher with a heavier bullet but 158gr is pretty common so I used it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#13]
the 27 is an  N frame it was originally meant for 357 magnums that were used to killl  grizzlys and walrus.

same frame the 44magnum is built on
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I figured that is what you meant but what if someone, someone rather naive, took you literally?  Kaboom!  Not to mention I wanted to see how high a pressure I could get Quickloads to predict in a 357 Mag and be a smart-arse at the same time.  I really though Red Dot or Bulleye would have done better but Titegroup is so dense it won.    I might have gotten higher with a heavier bullet but 158gr is pretty common so I used it.
View Quote

I have loaded 230 gr bullets in a 686 before.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't seem to get any bullet-power combo to go much over 130,000 psi without going to compressed loads.  If we are willing to compress loads we can get stupid high pressures.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess it's up to me to be the arsehole to point out that the OP has 33K+ posts and doesn't know that it is safe to shoot .38SPL+P out of a .357.  Speaks volumes on high post count internet forum knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I guess it's up to me to be the arsehole to point out that the OP has 33K+ posts and doesn't know that it is safe to shoot .38SPL+P out of a .357.  Speaks volumes on high post count internet forum knowledge.
View Quote
True, he is either trolled us or is pretty light in the mental faculties, or both.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
True, he is either trolled us or is pretty light in the mental faculties, or both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the first wheel gun I've ever owned. I got it when a close family member and the guy that taught me how to shoot as a kid left it to me in his will. I figured it was most likely safe to shoot, but I just wanted to make sure before I risked a family heirloom. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks to those that helped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top