Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Pachmayr Compacts. Best I've tried so far.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/4X8u5yh.jpg

View Quote

You load your speed-strips the same way I do! So much faster for me.....

I like two-fingered boot grip stocks on a J-Frame. I have a set of Spegels, and a pair of Uncle Mike's that look exactly like #1.

A 3-fingered grip is too long and more difficult to conceal for me to justify the loss in capacity and shootability over other carry options I have.

I ditched the factory stocks on my 442 and 438. The 442 came with some very thin, rosewood colored that kinda hurt a bit to shoot. Great for carry, sucked to shoot. It wears the Uncle Mike's now.
The 438 now wears the Spegels. This is my carry snub. It came with some sticky, soft rubber boot grips. OK to shoot but horrible for carry in that they are sticky and are fabric magnets.

I too am curious to try those Ergo delta grips. I'm gonna get them when I have the discretionary income and will post in that thread after I try them.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/4X8u5yh.jpg

Ha! I thought I invented that and was the only one who did it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The 80s vintage "Banana" stocks wins hands down....They give you both excellent point ability and control.

"Boot grips" on a J or other small framed revolver are a bad joke foisted upon us by "cool kids" who's main concern is aesthetics and are 87% of the reason peeps consider a J Frame "hard to shoot".

If you can't hold it properly how do you expect to control it properly?

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I LOVE the Uncle Mike's checkered rubber "boot grips" that came stock on my 442.  Small, concealable and very functional. Even with +P rounds using two fingers on the front strap and a pinky underneath has worked well for me for a couple decades now.
View Quote

Are these the abominations you are referring to?

They came stock on my 638-2 and while slightly less egregious than most of their ilk (they don't hang-up being a bit harder rubber) they were replaced 5 minutes after I took the pic.

A couple years back I found a guy on eBay selling NOS late 80s vintage S&W "Banana" Combat stocks on a just listed BIN for $29.99, he had three sets and I bought all three. I kept two and sold one to pay for the two I kept.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#9]
OP,

How do you like your 43c?

Thinking about one, but that is a lot of coin.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
It's funny the #11 Hogue Bantam grip you call garbage is my favorite J-Frame grip by leaps and bounds.

I pocket or ankle carry my 442, so a compact grip is my preference.  I still shoot my yearly LEO qualification with a 100% score at 3,5,10,15, and 25m.

Never understood putting a big grip on a tiny pistol, but different strokes for different folks.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Feudist,

Most of the pictures are of a M&P340 .357 used with +P .38s.  I can tell by the tritium dot in the front sight.

One photo set is a 351C because its a solid front white dot.  The .22RFM is a seven shot my wife finds useful.  It has those grips on it all the time.

I do have an eight shot S&W43 in .22LR.  It gets used a lot.  In the last month it has run nearly 500 rounds as practice.  If you have an Airweight J frame with similar sights, the 43 is excellent practice.

If I were starting over, I'd buy the .22 and .38 Ruger LCRs.  

Starting with the 340, I went the other way.  The three Smiths are pricey, but flawless.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Feudist,

Most of the pictures are of a M&P340 .357 used with +P .38s.  I can tell by the tritium dot in the front sight.

One photo set is a 351C because its a solid front white dot.  The .22RFM is a seven shot my wife finds useful.  It has those grips on it all the time.

I do have an eight shot S&W43 in .22LR.  It gets used a lot.  In the last month it has run nearly 500 rounds as practice.  If you have an Airweight J frame with similar sights, the 43 is excellent practice.

If I were starting over, I'd buy the .22 and .38 Ruger LCRs.  

Starting with the 340, I went the other way.  The three Smiths are pricey, but flawless.
View Quote
Just bought a 43c today on GB.

You're responsible!

You!

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
340 pd w/ tennis racquet grip tape.

I have been carrying this revolver like this for years.

I shoot it regularly and have not found a single reason why this does not work.

It looks like crap but it feels great.

I just wrap it over the factory rubber grip and build up the areas that I need to in order for it to comfortably fit my hand.

I originally planned on this being temporary until I got something nicer but this feels and works great so why spend the money?

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the hogue tamers.  I can't even get a good grip on a j frame with boot sized grips.  The right thumb ends up has nowhere to go.  For me.  

Colt DS is a different animal.  Tyler t grips with the older stock grips is just fine for me.  Although I wouldn't mind trying the pachmyrs on that gun.

I should dehorn the takedown lever on my 442.  It has taken flesh off.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I just wrap it over the factory rubber grip and build up the areas that I need to in order for it to comfortably fit my hand.

I originally planned on this being temporary until I got something nicer but this feels and works great so why spend the money?

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=93001
View Quote

What light you got there?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Love my 638 Bodyguard.  I put CT rubber grips on mine which makes it easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=93001

Link:

Streamlight Pro Tac 1L
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#18]
VZ's
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Ahrends
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Good reference thread.
Since the LCR has been mentioned here... for the LCR owners, the LCRx grip will fit the LCR.  Also made by Hogue, same material, no finger hooks, but allows a three-finger grip (unless you have really wide hands).  For me, it makes a big enough difference with positive control that I'll use it even though it's a bit longer.

Hogue also makes some G10 grips for the LCR.  And Pachmayr is making the Diamond Pro for the LCR.
Personally, I'd love to see Hogue make an LCR 3-finger nylon monogrip with a "tamer" rubber insert at the thumb web.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#21]
excellent
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a set of the old-school wood grips with a grip adapter on my M&P340, and they are great. Comfortable to shoot (even with lighter magnum loads), easy to hold on to, and they fit my hand just about perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I carry this same combo for summer carry.  The mono grips make shooting the air weight much more pleasant.
View Quote

I've been thinking about a set of Eagle Grips Secret Service stocks The Hogue's are too big for pocket carry.  Anyone use a set?

Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's an old shitty pic, but I still shoot the hell out of it. I don't carry it as much as I used to.
Original grips and the Tyler. It's not bad with 125 grain Cor-Bon rounds

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/kelleysgunshop/model36_zpsb12749f4.jpg
View Quote

That's the same set-up that I'm using; original stocks with the Tyler T-Grip and it's a joy to shoot. However, my M36 is a steel frame. This set-up allows me to carry in my back pocket because it adds zero girth/width to the grip profile. I keep it loaded with Buffalo Bore's 158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC's for self defense and they aren't punishing at all. But I don't feel the need to stoke it with anything +P. YMMV. Nice thread OP!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like J frame magnas and a T-grip. That is with a all steel gun, which helps with recoil. I also just shoot standard pressure .38's in mine. My preference is the Buffalo Bore 150gr hard cast wadcutter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/M36-7_zpszlbqk3vm.jpg
View Quote

The BB 150gr hard cast WC's is a fantastic load! Nice looking pistol there!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I ordered a set of these in black from ALTAMONT.  They're boot grip size and don't add any height or length.

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I have these VZ grips on my 360P.  I usually prefer a larger grip, but these are the best compromise I've found of small size while still maintaining a good grip on the gun.

Attachment Attached File

I also have a 36-6, not an airweight but still a J frame round butt. These grips are EBay specials from Thailand.  The fit is excellent and they fit my hand very well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Have owned 4 J frames over the years.  Still have my first that I bought for my mother in the early 90s.  Its a Model 60 2" Square butt with banana grips.  Doesn't get carried as its a bedside gun.  Second was a first year 442 with the Uncle Mikes Boot grips, never had any issues shooting that gun that when I had it (nearly 2 decades).  Third was a another used Model 60 that belonged and marked KSP (Kentucky State Police).  That one worn Pacmeyer Compacts but was worn OWB as I used it for fishing.  Never any issues with shooting it.  Last in 2011 got one of the first 442 Pros and its my EDC gun.  Comes with the current boot grip changed slightly off the Uncle Mikes.  Its carried in my front pocket so will keep the small grips on it for concealiblity and smoothness during draw.  Really don't smack my hands shooting this gun.  Normally shoot couple cylinders with either one of my reloads (Lee 125gr TLRN or Lee 150gr LSWCHP, both home cast)  Never an issue if going 50 rds.

Would really like to try the CTC LG-105 model for making the most of those 5 rounds.  One thing I've done to all my guns is paint the front sight white and then orange for high visiblity.

CD
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the Uncle Mikes which are a copy of Craig Spegal Boot Grips.
I think they're a pretty comfortable grip for concealing well but still being able to shoot the gun. For me, at least, they're the best compromise.

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#30]
An Altamont grip similiar but thinner than old S&W wood stocks.  From the side, they look about the same, but from the rear, a lot of difference.  And a lot of difference in controlability.

Old S&W slightly re-profiled and Altamont stock, both on Airweights:

http://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/smith-and-wesson/j-round/

The S&W stock from the rear:

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#31]
The image in the post just above is the rear of the S&W stock.  Note how wide it is.  Recoil is absorbed very well and the revolver remains indexed.

In comparison, the Altamont stock just above is thinnest where it should be THICKEST.  Not so smart a design.  

In shooting the Altamont stock, I discovered it twists and squirms around.  Squirms to the point I decided it was useless.  All the little Croc cuts and bumps are decorations and a crock.  They don't do much if anything to keep the stock still in your hand.  Avoid that design and get sharp checkering.

The S&W stock recoils straight to the rear and stays put.

I would note some/most of the stocks being sold are like the Altamont.  Skinny/narrow where it hits the web of your thumb/trigger finger.  Really a bad overall design.  That area should be wide and straight like the Ruger LCR grips.  Ruger knew what they were doing when they designed the LCR grips.

Note this as the real take away idea:  The shooter has to decide if maximum hide out is the goal.  If the gun is to be shot, the S&W factory rubber short J frame grips are near useless.  Control requires some size.  Painlessness requires some width at the thumb/trigger finger web.

My suggestion is to find grips wide at that spot for control.

The Altamont stocks were a $76 mistake.   The silly thing is that these were the largest widest most expensive model they sell.  I ended up just putting them on a S&W351C my wife shoots sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#32]
The best, most functional grips ever made for a J-Frame. 

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/6/639817_ts.jpg
View Quote

Which model CTCs are these? I have a 642 with the full length CTCs. They are a little to big for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Which model CTCs are these? I have a 642 with the full length CTCs. They are a little to big for pocket carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're the LG-405's.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Been there done that and said fuck it and I carry the Ruger LCR.  Far superior in all ways.
That said, the wife bought a Model 60 Pro with three inch bbl.  Not a bad gun to shoot.  Not a snubby, either.  It has a pretty decent set of grips.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Altamont Combats
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#38]
The Crimson Trace two fingers are adequate for me.  In the heat of the moment I doubt that I would even notice the recoil.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They're the LG-405's.
View Quote

I put a set on m 442 Pro, after hacking up a set of factory grips to clear Safariland Comp I speedloaders and buying a set of the Uncle Mikes rubber copies of the Spegel boot grips and trying those for a while.

405's are very thin at the butt, and are smooth enough on the sides to be okay in the pocket. They also have small palm swells on both sides that help fill the hand. In my case, they increase the trigger reach just enough to put my trigger finger right in the sweet spot to get a good DA pull without adjusting my grip. They also do tame the recoil of +P ammo with the rubber covering the back of the frame. They clear the Comp I's I sometimes carry for reloads... they are close (all loaders on a 5 shot J-frame are a tight fit) but they do clear enough to load the gun at speed.

The laser is useful in low light or indoors... not very useful in full light of course. I'll be honest and say that I bought the 442, and the 405's with the plan to use the long DA pull and the laser as a training tool, ala SIRT pistol. The dot gives some pretty good feedback about how you are pulling the trigger.

I really like mine, and will probably put the butchered S&W stocks, and the Uncle Mikes on the EE soon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Altamont combat for RB J frame provides a 3 finger grip.
I got this for my wife and she really likes it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Cool thread, tag for later.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:22:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a set of these for my 340, I didn't care for them. They felt fatter front to back and I never felt like I could get my hand where I wanted it. I just ordered a set of LG105s for my 342ti, they are a boot grip with more of a harder plastic. Right now my 342 wears the factory houges the OP hates. I like them but since carrying my 342 on my ankle and practicing this carry method I have found that the tacky rubbery grip tends to grab my pant leg. I am hoping the plastic will make for a smoother draw and not cause my pant leg to ride up every time I get out of my truck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
HOGUE TAMER grips

soft rubber to soak up recoil....hard plastic end cap to allow fast pocket draw

buy 1000 rounds of once fired brass,...crank out some bunny fart loads on the dillon

...then some standard loads....

....practice practice
View Quote

X10
My 442 is also just a BUG but these are WELL worth the $
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Just got my 105s installed. I like them a lot. Smooth and very compact.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top