Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2016 5:12:38 PM EDT
(C)  LSA 2016

Threads here discuss many S&W J frame revolver attributes.  The steel versus Airweight considerations.  The pocket holster for either.  The J frame versus the 1911/Glock/other apples and oranges.  CCW versus the terrorist threat.  The J frame backup.  The J frame as the only gun.

What gets glossed over is shooting.  Occasionally its mentioned, but usually in the sense that a fellow needs more practice.

The sun was out the other day, the snow had sorta melted, and some powder needed burned.  I looked about and decided my pocket airweight J frame .357 needed shot.  So I grabbed it and its practice version, the airweight .22LR.

Photo:  Smith & Wesson M&P340 .357 Scandium and S&W M43 .22LR Airweight aluminum with a speed strip for each.  Both guns have XS Big Dot sights with the M&P340's being a Tritium Night Sight version.  Simply the factory standard sights that fit into a big U shaped trough in the rear where the square notch used to be on Smiths.  The stocks are custom one off versions that are wide across where it hits the web of your hand and catches three fingers in the front.  They are both easily pocket carry-able in a leather pocket holster.

Photo: M&P340 in a good pocket holster.

Photo:  Needing some ammo, these boxes seemed surplus.  A standard power .38 Special 125 grain load and a .22LR LRNHV CCI product.  Except for one single round the first day, I have never been silly enough to put a .357 round back into that M&P340 and never will.  The Hornady and a second box like it had been car carried for too long.  Time to blow it up!

With guns and ammo, I headed out with a plan.  I would shoot both guns at 5 yards, 10 yards, and 15 yards in double taps as fast as I could shoot them intending to keep the hits in an IPSC "A" zone.  

Retention position, shoot two, retention position, shoot two, and so on.  2-2-2-2=8 for the M43.  2-2-1=5 for the M&P340.  Getting a good range spot outdoors, I did that.  The technique is easily described.  Find the big white dot, put it somewhere near the U.  Put both together somewhere in the center of the target as you are pulling the DA only trigger through.  Bang, release, do it again.  Factory guns, full power springs, a no brainer, works every time, all the time.

Photo:  IPSC target overview.

Photo:  Center section of IPSC target showing impact of 50 rounds of Blazer .22LR and 30 rounds of  Hornady .38 Special 125 JHP.  Yes, I know.  Its a jumbled mess of 5-10-15 yards hits with two calibers.  Worser is that the red and orange that looked so bright in the sunshine will not photograph worth two cents on a cloudy rainy day inside.

BUT, I note that all 80 rounds stayed in the "A" and almost all stayed in the smaller circle which I guess is for IDPA or some such.  And I note they were delivered fairly fast.  And I note each would have been a good hit.

The Airweight guns will shoot.  They will shoot past 5 yards.  But you better actually practice.  And practice with real ammo sometimes.  Not cowboy and wadcutter loads.  One of my good friends says J frames and especially Airweights are for professionals.  Even professionals better practice sometimes.  The J frame in your pocket is way better than hiding under the Christmas Party table waiting for your turn because no one in a big room full of people is armed.

(And yes sometimes my pocket has a LCP .380 or a Shield or a Glock 26 or a Glock 19.  But not always.  Sometimes "just" an airweight J frame.)

(C) LSA 2016
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot my CCW quals with a J-Frame Air Weight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]

My carry gun, 442 Moonclip.

After a USPSA match, range about 20ft, the X was the paster I was shooting at.

I also stepped back to ~30 yards for fun.  I fire 10 rounds and kept all 10 on a standard IPSC metric target with only two D's.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I qualify every year with my j-frame.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for interest. I'm in need of a j frame.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thee best J-Frame I've ever owned is the SW M&P 340CT.

Better trigger than my previous 340PD.

Tritium factory front sight.

CT's best laser grips.

Stainless cylinder (v. The titanium in the PD model).

All of which not only mitigate a lot of the short comings of full power snub nosed wheel guns, they greatly enhance accuracy.

Better trigger = better accuracy potential.

Tritium front sight makes target acquisition faster and more accurate.

The added weight of the stainless cylinder helps modestly with recoil = follow up shot accuracy improvement.

The CT grips have added material to fit the hand and particularly the webbing area. A better grip = better accuracy.

The CT laser itself is nothing less than a game changer on a J-Frame.

Forget the laser, the rest of these details all add up to greater accuracy on a gun that is notoriously difficult to shoot well due to small size, recoil and a small grip.

This model J-Frame, IMO, is the final evolution of the design.....it's as good as a J-Frame gets.

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish I would have saved my targets from the other night.....

I just got a new 340 M&P, to go with my night guard 386, and I shot 14 out of 15 .357 magnums into a 6" target (freedom munitions new stock - 125 grains) from 10 yards out.

I have an 8lb main spring and 11lb rebound spring, along with smoothed up internals for a pull of just about 9.5 lbs so maybe you'll consider it cheating.. ?... but I'm happy with it.

The key to shooting the .357s out of it is a bit of a looser grip and a bit of wrist flip. Not only helps tremendously with recoil but also seems to put the bullets where I'm aiming far better than a super tight grip.

Here's my 'pair'. Both are my main concealed carry. If I wan't higher capacity semi-auto I have my CZ Rammi, fully Cajunized.

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I can hold minute of pie plate at seven yards with 'em at speed.
20150901_103050_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Going slow I can do 4-5" to 20-25 yards.

I shoot magnums out of the magnum and +p out of the other.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#8]
^^ Nice little 649 you got there! I just put mine away in favor of the 340 M&P, but it sure is a nice shooter. I plan to get a nice fancy 686+ to keep her company....
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#9]
In my photo of the 340 and 43 in the original post, the wide at the web of your thumb/trigger finger grips make recoil tolerable rather than the skinny at the web factory rubber grips.

The other thing is the cylinder release on the 340.  The lower rear has been rounded which stops most thumb damage, aka bleeding, when you use a tight thumb and forget a bandaid before you shot.  The factory edge like that which remains on the 43 is sharp.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I just love snub threads
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^^ Nice little 649 you got there! I just put mine away in favor of the 340 M&P, but it sure is a nice shooter. I plan to get a nice fancy 686+ to keep her company....
View Quote

Thanks.

I bought it used/like new last year.

It's my tee shirt gun, and I have no intention to replace it.

A fancy nickel 3.5" 357 of 1954 vintage keeps it company.
20150113_171902 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

That 442 is the favorite shooter. I don't really know why. It's just fun.

The N frame is very comfortable with magnums. My intention is always to shoot it slow but it never works out that way

The 649 is feisty but fun for a few cylinders worth.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#13]
This gun really needs a laser grip.  Lets you dry fire practice and be on target consistently.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This gun really needs a laser grip.  Lets you dry fire practice and be on target consistently.
View Quote

Couldn't agree more.

There's probably no firearm made of any type that more greatly benefits from a laser than a J-Frame, for the reasons you state among a few others.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I can shoot mine but I don't prefer it and why my G43 has taken over CCW duty.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I have shot my 638 out to 50 yards. It'll hold the black on a bullseye target at that distance.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I can shoot mine but I don't prefer it and why my G43 has taken over CCW duty.
View Quote

The 43 might be my next pistol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I am a huge fan and encourage people to consider the all steel j's - I do not feel the extra weight is noticed in the pocket or on the belt or ankle but makes worlds of difference when shooting. I can hit an ipsc size steel double action at 100 yards with my steel j. My brother ( very experienced retired cop who used to run a smith 29 in 44 mag as a duty gun in the revolver days) has an airweight j and even he doesn't like running more than a box of wad cutters through his at one sitting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently shot my neighbors 2 inch M36 with the Pachmayr Diamond grips.   Made the revolver comfortable to shoot and my accuracy went up.   If I get another J frame, these grips are going on it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I qualified with my 642 and 342 as a BUG for work every six months.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry for the late reply, but what is that thing you are you using to carry your reload held by the moonclip?

regards

Quoted:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31815523/442mooncarry.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31815523/442shoots.jpg

I also stepped back to ~30 yards for fun.  I fire 10 rounds and kept all 10 on a standard IPSC metric target with only two D's.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Sorry for the late reply, but what is that thing you are you using to carry your reload held by the moonclip?

regards
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

regards
Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31815523/442mooncarry.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31815523/442shoots.jpg

Its a moonclip holder specifically design for pocket carry.  Made by TK Custom.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#24]
8 yards. Called the little guy. http://i.imgur.com/6PV2yy0.jpg
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wish I would have saved my targets from the other night.....

I just got a new 340 M&P, to go with my night guard 386, and I shot 14 out of 15 .357 magnums into a 6" target (freedom munitions new stock - 125 grains) from 10 yards out.

I have an 8lb main spring and 11lb rebound spring, along with smoothed up internals for a pull of just about 9.5 lbs so maybe you'll consider it cheating.. ?... but I'm happy with it.

The key to shooting the .357s out of it is a bit of a looser grip and a bit of wrist flip. Not only helps tremendously with recoil but also seems to put the bullets where I'm aiming far better than a super tight grip.

Here's my 'pair'. Both are my main concealed carry. If I wan't higher capacity semi-auto I have my CZ Rammi, fully Cajunized.

View Quote

I really like the grips you have on the 386/L-frame. What kind are they?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Took these back out after swapping cylinders and guts. They still work okay.

Shooting close and fast.
20160428_135104_Richtone(HDR) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Rick_A the two tone look is sweet!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#28]
If you want to have some fun and test yourself with your J-frame, try shooting Steel Challenge with it.

I was shooting in the high 6 or 7 second range drawing out of a pocket holster on Smoke and Hope.

642, VZ 320 grips, Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, and 158gr. LSWC over 3.5 grains of Bullseye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top