Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2016 1:33:23 PM EDT
Has anyone used steel case ammo like Wolf or Brown Bear in their 9mm LCR revolver? I'm planning to get one because I have lots of 9mm ammo - mostly steel case.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot a little bit of steel cased 40S&W in my 610 and Aluminum 45ACP in my 625 and never had an issues with non-brass cases in my revolvers.  I would expect similar results in a 9mm LCR.  Since there is no action that is trying to rip that case out of the chamber real fast.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't see how it would be a problem, maybe a bit more work to clean the cylinder chambers as the steel case may allow a bit more blow back due to reduced expansion of the steel case like in a semi auto. But overall, I'd say pick one up and blast away, just make sure you clean it well before using it for carry duty with proper carry ammo, if that is your plan.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see how it would be a problem, maybe a bit more work to clean the cylinder chambers as the steel case may allow a bit more blow back due to reduced expansion of the steel case like in a semi auto. But overall, I'd say pick one up and blast away, just make sure you clean it well before using it for carry duty with proper carry ammo, if that is your plan.
View Quote

This, you won't get as good of gas seal than that of brass.. but since its in a revolver it doesn't seal any way. Go for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a lcr 9mm. All I shoot is tula with no issues.  It does get a little smoky and a good spark. But like I said no issues
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I bought my 9mm LCR and tried it with the steel case ammo I currently have - Wolf.

It sticks in the chamber every time. I have to give the ejector rod a really good rap with a screwdriver handle to get the fired cases out.

I'll try other brands, but I may just have one that is not compatible with steel case ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine will do that couple times,  I just use a cleaning rod and tap the case out. I know steel case expands in all guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top