Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2016 6:49:33 PM EDT
Any problems out of it?  Looks like a good shooter from what I seen on YouTube.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the 3inch version, my only gripe was the "cocking lever" being a bit more cumbersome to operate compared to a conventional hammer.

It was a pleasure to shoot otherwise & I only sold it because I got rid of everything that wasn't 9mm or 5.56...
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
keep your fingers away from the front of the cylinder I have read of reports of burn or injury if the shooter is unaware rember the bullet is i\on the bottom..
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trigger pull is kind of "junky" in terms of it's kind of spongy and stagey, at least as compared to a Colt, Ruger, or Smith & Wesson. That's because of all the complicated parts in the lockwork to transfer the firing pin to the bottom cylinder, it's not an easy task engineering-wise.

OTOH, the trigger pull not bad if you compare it to autopistols, especially striker-fired polymer-framed pistols. It's just awful for a revolver. However, it's at least not exceptionally heavy in DA, but it's just not very crisp in SA either.

Fit and finish is more Taurus-y than Smith & Wesson-y.  Or maybe like "If Keltec made a revolver, but didn't use any plastic."  For the fit and finish, and overall quality, I think a Rhino ought to command about 2/3rds to 3/4's what they actually retail for. If they did, I'd own one by now.

The one thing that really shines on the Rhino is that the low bore axis and bottom firing from the cylinder really really works. Recoil/muzzle-flip mitigation is crazy good.  .357 125gr full house loads feel like .38's. .38's feel like, I dunno... .22mag or something. It's insane how good the actual recoil feels when you fire it.
View Quote

+1 on this. The trigger is OK. Not great. DA is pretty stiff and stacks at the end and SA, while light and smooth, isn't super crisp. If you want an awesome trigger, look elsewhere. It's comparable to your average DA/SA auto. Build quality seems OK. No machining marks or any sharp edges; my only complaint really is that the cylinder release latch is a bit floppy.

Mine did have to go back for to Chiappa after about 500 rounds for a new firing pin (at least that's what they replaced - the DA would randomly go to like 25 pounds and the SA would be super gritty. No idea what that has to do with the firing pin, but OK?). They turned it around in a couple weeks but you do have to ship on your dime. Seems to be sorted but I've only put a couple boxes of ammo through it since. Could have been due to dry firing, but that said, I'd expect any modern centerfire firearm to handle dry firing without damage.

Negatives aside, the gun points great, has good factory sights (I've got the 4 inch BTW), seems to be pretty accurate, and the low bore axis REALLY works. .38s recoil a bit more than .22s and .357s are more pleasant to shoot than a .40. I'd say .357s are similar in feel to a 9mm +p in terms of felt recoil. Muzzle flip is minimal.

I do agree they're probably $200 overpriced. If you had to count on the gun, I'd look at a Smith or Ruger. As a range gun or even a collector's item (I see this thing going the way of the Mateba at some point) they make more sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top