Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2016 10:36:33 PM EDT
Hi all,

I picked up a used 686 (a dash 6, I think) the other day.  I ran 100 rounds of WWB .38 Special through it.  It is strictly a 6 shot.

Loading each individual round sucks.

Back when I was shooting USPSA and IDPA there were one or two dudes who shot wheelguns.  I think at that time Safariland Comp III's were the cat's meow.

Just recently, I heard about jet loaders, and that block or plate to place the rounds into first.

Also, I have been watching some youtube videos of revolver competitors.  Most of those guys are shooting 8 round moon clip guns though.  So I don't quite get or understand how guys are manipulating their six shooters with speed loaders as far as shucking out the empties and getting the loaded rounds in.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm trying to get into revolvers now (saving $ for my first) and I can tell you right now that as far as I've read, the S.L. Variant speedloaders are the fastest on the market.

The only thing is, they are made in Germany and they only import them every once in a while. When they do, they fetch big bucks and sell quick.

Other speedloaders (HKS, Safariland, etc) are fast but not as fast (allegedly) as the SL Variants.

When the SL Variants come back in stock, they are only stocked at this website:

http://bobmacs.com/products/speedloaders

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
From my research the jury seems like it is still out on the SL Variant.  I have heard some people that love SL Variants and others that prefer CompIII/Jet loaders.  Given how hard SL Variants are to come by I think that jury is going to be out for some time to come.

I would suggest looking into having your 686 converted to moonclips.  Moonclips rule!

If not, then I think your best options is going to be to pickup some Safariland CompIIIs or Jetloaders.  Both function in a very similar manner so pick the one you like best.  Safariland are a bit more affordable and I like that the spring is under a cover.  I currently use CompIII with my Model 10.  My Model 10 is my IDPA setup so I have to use speedloaders.  The Comp III have been pretty good to me.

As for technique I am a weak hand reloader with moonclips or speedloaders.  I could never get comfortable with transferring the revolver to my weak hand and back fast enough to do the strong hand reloads effectively.

I release the cylinder with the strong hand thumb, open cylinder with weak hand while bring in my hands towards my body a bit.  Slap the ejector with the weak hand.  Lower the muzzle while reaching for the next speed loader.  Insert the speedloader into the cylinder and using my strong hand thumb again active the speedloader.  As the guns start to come back up to the target I close the cylinder with the weak hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DIaPSL3eVk

This is a vid of myself shooting a USPSA match with both my Model 10 fed by speedloaders and the same stages with my 627 fed by moonclips.  Chest mounted camera so you can see most of the reloads fairly well.

ETA:  Those loading blocks are homemade.  At my last job I had easy access to a CNC mill and some scrap ABS.  If you're handy with a drill press and center punch I have no doubt you could make one your own pretty easy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a lot of 6 shot windows at that USPSA match. One of the once a year "revolver friendly" matches? I gave up my beloved 625 for the 627 after the rule change. You just can't overcome the advantage of the 2 extra shots with the slightly faster reloads.

For the OP, I shoot a couple matches a year with Josh Lentz. He uses Comp IIIs heavily modified by cutting down the ends and the spring cover. You can find details on it over on Brian Enos' board. When I was shooting ICORE with a 6 shot 686, I used Comp IIIs in stock configuration. I'm a weak hand reloaded as well and do it same as above... Hit the cylinder latch with strong thumb, turn the barrel straight up while swinging the cylinder out, stroke the ejector rod with the weak thumb, reach for next loader with weak hand while turning the barrel straight down, insert loader with weak hand, let go of loader and close the cylinder with weak hand. Don't waste time removing the loader. It'll scrape off and fall away when the cylinder closes. The biggest keys to consistency are straight up to eject and straight down to load.

For leisurely range work only, I would probably go with HKS loaders and a block. The HKS loaders are easier to pick up the rounds from the block with. Comp III or Jet Loaders are really only useful for the speed advantage they give going from the belt to back on target..
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm trying to get into revolvers now (saving $ for my first) and I can tell you right now that as far as I've read, the S.L. Variant speedloaders are the fastest on the market.

The only thing is, they are made in Germany and they only import them every once in a while. When they do, they fetch big bucks and sell quick.

Other speedloaders (HKS, Safariland, etc) are fast but not as fast (allegedly) as the SL Variants.

When the SL Variants come back in stock, they are only stocked at this website:

http://bobmacs.com/products/speedloaders

Hope this helps.
View Quote

Yes, sir!  That definitely helps.  I wasn't even aware that there was an actual speedloader brand.  I was using the phrase "speedloader" as a generic term...kinda like calling a laminate counter top "formica" or calling any soda a "coke".
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
When I shot revolver competition (during the Jurassic era ), the Comp-III's ruled for competitive use. For carry use the Comp-II's were my favorite.

Never used the new variants or moonclips, but moonclips seem like they'd be both awfully fast and awfully secure.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From my research the jury seems like it is still out on the SL Variant.  I have heard some people that love SL Variants and others that prefer CompIII/Jet loaders.  Given how hard SL Variants are to come by I think that jury is going to be out for some time to come.

I would suggest looking into having your 686 converted to moonclips.  Moonclips rule!

If not, then I think your best options is going to be to pickup some Safariland CompIIIs or Jetloaders.  Both function in a very similar manner so pick the one you like best.  Safariland are a bit more affordable and I like that the spring is under a cover.  I currently use CompIII with my Model 10.  My Model 10 is my IDPA setup so I have to use speedloaders.  The Comp III have been pretty good to me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31815523/m10setup.jpg

As for technique I am a weak hand reloader with moonclips or speedloaders.  I could never get comfortable with transferring the revolver to my weak hand and back fast enough to do the strong hand reloads effectively.

I release the cylinder with the strong hand thumb, open cylinder with weak hand while bring in my hands towards my body a bit.  Slap the ejector with the weak hand.  Lower the muzzle while reaching for the next speed loader.  Insert the speedloader into the cylinder and using my strong hand thumb again active the speedloader.  As the guns start to come back up to the target I close the cylinder with the weak hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DIaPSL3eVk
This is a vid of myself shooting a USPSA match with both my Model 10 fed by speedloaders and the same stages with my 627 fed by moonclips.  Chest mounted camera so you can see most of the reloads fairly well.

ETA:  Those loading blocks are homemade.  At my last job I had easy access to a CNC mill and some scrap ABS.  If you're handy with a drill press and center punch I have no doubt you could make one your own pretty easy.
View Quote

I am kind of a handy guy...don't have CNC, but do have a drill press.  I could make something out of plywood or heck, maybe even a 2X4.  In theory, it is just a matter of drawing a circle and dividing it into six equal parts, which should be 60 degrees apart.

I think I will keep the 686 as is with respect to NOT machining the cylinder for moonclips.

I see a 627 and a 625 in my future.

Not that I am going to compete anytime soon, but I think an 8 shooter would be sweet for steel challenge.  Unfortunately, I am thinking steel challenge doesn't distinguish between iron sighted revolver vs. a red dot equipped wheelgun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's a lot of 6 shot windows at that USPSA match. One of the once a year "revolver friendly" matches? I gave up my beloved 625 for the 627 after the rule change. You just can't overcome the advantage of the 2 extra shots with the slightly faster reloads.

For the OP, I shoot a couple matches a year with Josh Lentz. He uses Comp IIIs heavily modified by cutting down the ends and the spring cover. You can find details on it over on Brian Enos' board. When I was shooting ICORE with a 6 shot 686, I used Comp IIIs in stock configuration. I'm a weak hand reloaded as well and do it same as above... Hit the cylinder latch with strong thumb, turn the barrel straight up while swinging the cylinder out, stroke the ejector rod with the weak thumb, reach for next loader with weak hand while turning the barrel straight down, insert loader with weak hand, let go of loader and close the cylinder with weak hand. Don't waste time removing the loader. It'll scrape off and fall away when the cylinder closes. The biggest keys to consistency are straight up to eject and straight down to load.

For leisurely range work only, I would probably go with HKS loaders and a block. The HKS loaders are easier to pick up the rounds from the block with. Comp III or Jet Loaders are really only useful for the speed advantage they give going from the belt to back on target..
View Quote

Yeah, I have gathered that is called "bubberizing".

I had heard from some IDPA guys that the HKS ones were good to use at the "load and make ready" command.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I shot revolver competition (during the Jurassic era ), the Comp-III's ruled for competitive use. For carry use the Comp-II's were my favorite.

Never used the new variants or moonclips, but moonclips seem like they'd be both awfully fast and awfully secure.
View Quote

Yeah, every USPSA revolver video I have seen has been an 8 shooter with moon clips.

Luckily, there are a few IDPA'ers  who have posted first person videos of them shooting the SSR division with Safariland Comp III's.

I am actually surprised I haven't seen more 625's up for sale at the Brian Enos classifieds since USPSA HQ made that change to the rules to allow the 8 shot guns.

EDIT:  I was eyeballing a 610 on gunbroker.  Holy heck!  Cha ching.  The auction got to $1,300 plus and it still said "reserve not met".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top