Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2016 6:28:04 PM EDT
So saturday I bought a brand new 686 plus pro series 5", only fired from the factory.

so i cleaned it this weekend, wont get a chance to shoot until next weekend. but I got looking at the timing on it.
obviously its a newer model without a pinned extractor so something needs to be in the cylinder to line things up

I put a piece of .357 brass in, like I would if I only wanted to fire one shot
I cock the hammer super slow. on 4-5 out of 7 the cylinder stop does not engage, it takes just a slight touch and you hear the click
cocking the hammer at a slow reasonable speed it fails to engage on a couple out of 7
in DA it engages probably 70-80% of the time when taking a slow aimed dryfire shot

of course if I shoot it fast in DA or cock the hammer quickly everything locks up

im not a revolver guru but to me a brand new gun should lock up regardless of how fast you shoot/cock the hammer.
im gonna be ticked if I have to send it to S&W before ever getting to shoot it

I also considered ordering a timing hand and timing it to my likings, it looks like a fairly simple task. Easier than some of the other stuff ive done, but its a brand new gun.

ETA: Video

update: I just called to check up on the status today makes 15 days S&W had it
the guy said it should be hitting the shipping room today and should go out tomorrow.
I asked what the fix was and he said they replaced the extractor.
What worries me next, since the thing was cut for moonclips from the factory is that I will get an extractor that is not milled for moonclips which defeats the purpose i bought it
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
That is not how it should operate.  Call S&W repair shop.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say

to me, a revolver rookie being able to spot these issues I cant believe S&W let it leave the factory like that
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as double action goes, I have two Smiths and I can feel the bolt drop in before the hammer drops.  Each cylinder is a little different as to how long before the hammer falls. Some are closer to the drop than others.  And actually on my older Model 19, two of the notches feel simultaneous.  My newer 442 drops all early.  Although two of them are closer to the hammer dropping than the other three.  But there's no doubt they drop before the hammer falls.  If it's not, it's out of time.  

I thought I heard once that smith's sometimes need a little breaking in?????  That might be complete bogus though.

It does look like yours is out of time in single action.  Why did you open the cylinder to do the second one?  I would try and do it on all six and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as double action goes, I have two Smiths and I can feel the bolt drop in before the hammer drops.  Each cylinder is a little different as to how long before the hammer falls. Some are closer to the drop than others.  And actually on my older Model 19, two of the notches feel simultaneous.  My newer 442 drops all early.  Although two of them are closer to the hammer dropping than the other three.  But there's no doubt they drop before the hammer falls.  If it's not, it's out of time.  

I thought I heard once that smith's sometimes need a little breaking in?????  That might be complete bogus though.

It does look like yours is out of time in single action.  Why did you open the cylinder to do the second one?  I would try and do it on all six and see what happens.
View Quote

I opened the cylinder to mock the firing of one round since I only had one piece of brass
it happens on all 7 cylinders in single action. in double action the failure rate is about 50/50 due to the enertia i believe

I sent smith and wesson the video on facebook and they told me to call customer service to have a prepaid label to send it in for repair. before i ever get to shoot it
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Well hopefully it will all be well when it comes back and you will love shooting it!!!!  I inherited a Model 19 from my Step Dad who passed away last year and that thing is so sweet to shoot Double Action.  It's like cheating.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had five or six S&W and love them all.  The 686 is a fabulous revolver.  Mine is about thirty years old. What a great gun.
Try a very liberal squirt of CLP or your choice of lubricant in the slot where the hand pushes up the cylinder and on the Cylinder stop and into the hole that the cylinder stop comes up out of.
Then fill the cylinder with empties or snapcaps and practice, practice practice.
It is possible that with use you won't be able to deliberately make it not lock up.
If the problem persists S&W will take very good care of you.  Their service is prompt so don't worry.
You always have the option of calling S&W customer service and just talking with them about the issue.
Also, shooting it will settle things into place (heavy lube or oil) just be sure your new revolver is locked up for single action fire.  Hold off on double action until you get it figured out.
Tell the forum what you find!
And Vote, please.
While you are waiting for your revolver to come back check out the Jerry Miculek youtube videos esp. about revolvers, research Ed McGivern.
I have found Bianchi leather holster and Pachmeyr presentation grips suit the 686 for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Yes that has a problem. I had a Ruger do that same thing and had to send it back. Why your gun left the shop in that condition I'll never understand.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try a very liberal squirt of CLP or your choice of lubricant in the slot where the hand pushes up the cylinder and on the Cylinder stop and into the hole that the cylinder stop comes up out of.
Then fill the cylinder with empties or snapcaps and practice, practice practice.
It is possible that with use you won't be able to deliberately make it not lock up.
View Quote

I was up all night,.... so maybe I'm just tired,.....but please explain to me how oil and dryfire will fix a hand that is too short to carry-up ?????
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was up all night,.... so maybe I'm just tired,.....but please explain to me how oil and dryfire will fix a hand that is too short to carry-up ?????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought maybe there isn't enough tension on the arm of the hand.  Or bolt.....  So to speak.  Or couldn't it be possible that grit could cause it to be sluggish?  Which is why I made the comment about breaking it in.  It does seem too far out for that to be the case, but I'd love to see how slow it is in DA.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have had five or six S&W and love them all.  The 686 is a fabulous revolver.  Mine is about thirty years old. What a great gun.
If the problem persists S&W will take very good care of you.  Their service is prompt so don't worry.
You always have the option of calling S&W customer service and just talking with them about the issue.
Also, shooting it will settle things into place (heavy lube or oil) just be sure your new revolver is locked up for single action fire.  Hold off on double action until you get it figured out.
Tell the forum what you find!
And Vote, please.
While you are waiting for your revolver to come back check out the Jerry Miculek youtube videos esp. about revolvers, research Ed McGivern.
I have found Bianchi leather holster and Pachmeyr presentation grips suit the 686 for me.
View Quote

This is not good, sensible advice. That revolver suffers from late timing. Oiling it or shooting it will not be the solution but only a properly fitted new hand will be, unless the ratchets in the extractor are not properly cut.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes. I had a problem with my 686 Plus. The cylinder started having problems turning after two range trips.
I suspected the hand. I called S&W and convinced them it had a problem.
I sent it in and had it back in five business days.
They replaced the hand, trigger, hammer and extractor rod.
All MIM parts. It has been good since.
I think they got a bad batch of MIM parts.
Call them. Let them send you a shipping label.

Good luck.

John

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes that has a problem. I had a Ruger do that same thing and had to send it back. Why your gun left the shop in that condition I'll never understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

the shop I bought it from is very strict with letting customers handle the firearms
no snap caps or empty brass in any gun, not just revolvers. I wouldnt have figured a brand new gun would be out of time though

Quoted:
Yes. I had a problem with my 686 Plus. The cylinder started having problems turning after two range trips.
I suspected the hand. I called S&W and convinced them it had a problem.
I sent it in and had it back in five business days.
They replaced the hand, trigger, hammer and extractor rod.
All MIM parts. It has been good since.
I think they got a bad batch of MIM parts.
Call them. Let them send you a shipping label.

Good luck.

John

I bought some snap caps and loaded the whole cylinder this time and all 7 chambers were late to carry up
When I called S&W and talked to the guy he sounded like this had happend before with other guns sent me a shipping label and I sent it out.

S&W signed for the package on monday and I got an email last night that it was processing and being repaired.
hopefully I get it back sometime next week.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Let us know how it is when it comes back.  I bet it will be fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#14]
im still waiting to hear from them.

They have had it in hand for 5 business days today. They did send me an email letting me know it was received.

I hope it makes it back by this weekend since temps outside are going to be warming up from this deep freeze and I have a case of .38 to burn.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the shop I bought it from is very strict with letting customers handle the firearms

no snap caps or empty brass in any gun, not just revolvers. I wouldnt have figured a brand new gun would be out of time

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no snap caps or empty brass in any gun, not just revolvers. I wouldnt have figured a brand new gun would be out of time

I didn't mean your local gun shop. I meant smith and wesson. QC should have never let that out the door and it seems more frequent than it shoud be.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I didn't mean your local gun shop. I meant smith and wesson. QC should have never let that out the door and it seems more frequent than it shoud be.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ahh gotcha.

yea I agree, especially since all 7 chambers were slow

im considering calling them to check the status. I am just impatient.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#17]
the guy said it should be hitting the shipping room today and should go out tomorrow.
What worries me next, since the thing was cut for moonclips from the factory is that I will get an extractor that is not milled for moonclips which defeats the purpose i bought it
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So saturday I bought a brand new 686 plus pro series 5", only fired from the factory.

so i cleaned it this weekend, wont get a chance to shoot until next weekend. but I got looking at the timing on it.

obviously its a newer model without a pinned extractor so something needs to be in the cylinder to line things up

I cock the hammer super slow. on 4-5 out of 7 the cylinder stop does not engage, it takes just a slight touch and you hear the click

cocking the hammer at a slow reasonable speed it fails to engage on a couple out of 7

in DA it engages probably 70-80% of the time when taking a slow aimed dryfire shot

of course if I shoot it fast in DA or cock the hammer quickly everything locks up

im not a revolver guru but to me a brand new gun should lock up regardless of how fast you shoot/cock the hammer.

I also considered ordering a timing hand and timing it to my likings, it looks like a fairly simple task. Easier than some of the other stuff ive done, but its a brand new gun.

View Quote
I don't think you are giving S&W much credit if you think they would put a non-moonclip cut extractor in a revolver, sold from the factory, moonclip ready.  If you are worried about S&W doing something that silly that why did you buy from them in the first place?  

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think you are giving S&W much credit if you think they would put a non-moonclip cut extractor in a revolver, sold from the factory, moonclip ready.  If you are worried about S&W doing something that silly that why did you buy from them in the first place?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

normally I would agree with you
but considering the condition my gun left the factory in Im not to sure about S&W QC

I'll post another update when I have it
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#20]
S&W problems out of the box?  I have seen a few.  I bought a 625 PC.  Right away light hits on the firing pin. Cyl not really chamfered. Sent it back 3 times.  They fixed the Cyl but never the light hits
They told me to use Federal primers.  I got light hits of 6 different FACTORY loads. I talked with the man in charge and he told me as far as we are concerned it is fixed.  I ended up fixing it my self with a Wolff spring kit .   After talking with a local Gunsmith that I shoot USPSA with, he told me he has seen a lot of stupid problems in brand new S&Ws.  I will never buy a new S&W again.  Used without a lock yes but never new. S&W can kiss my ass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I was looking at a used 10 shot 617-6 with some "miles" on it that was having the same problem, the cylinder would not lock in on one chamber when cocked slowly unless you turned the cylinder ever so slightly, locked in fine pulling the hammer back briskly. I pointed it out, and they had the gunsmiths look at it, they ended up sending it back to S&W for a new hand. I've got dibs on it when it comes back, should be good to go then.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#22]
update:
the gun arrived back on 2/8/16 but I just made it back in from work thursday. everything seems good, a new extractor was cut and everything is in time now at no charge to me.
I ran some .357 and a box of .38 through it yesterday and it is very accurate to boot.
I suppose I just had bad luck when In getting one the factory didnt catch, hopefully someone can use my thread as a reference for turn around time. right at 3.5 weeks door to door
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top