Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2015 9:35:50 PM EDT
Well, now that I have my 686, I need a holster (4" barrel).

Something pretty inexpensive would be nice.  OWB as well.  Not sure that I want kydex for it; just doesn't seem "right."  Will only be used for carry around the family property and while I'm out hunting, so it won't be used a ton.  Just wondering what you guys like.  Should I be looking along the lines of Galco or something?  Not sure I want to go as cheap as Uncle Mikes type stuff, but if you guys know of something decent then let 'er rip.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
My main go to holsters are FBI tilt with a thumbsnap.  I have older DeSantis (soft leather) and actually my favorite for the glock is a Don Hume of the same FBI tilt and thumb snap.  

I have two Safariland "custom fit" paddle holsters for revolvers.  They are very comfortable and make a great range holster or walk around holster.  A bit bulky to be concealable withough a fricken parka on.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/holsters_for_sw_k_frame-4.html

Several choices/configurations.

I like the 440. http://www.cowboyneeds.com/440.html

Available in black also.

$60

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 4" 686 (629 & 617 also) and the most comfortable carrier I have for it is a Galco Vertical Shoulder holster. I know it's not what you're looking for and also not Uncle Mikes cheap but for all day carry, working and walking, it's been about the best so far. You don't even notice it by way of extra weight or getting in the way. Quick access also. I wore an older combat magnum on my waist for a while and it was noticeable after a couple hours. You can expand the system as you please with a lot of optional accessories. If you have other handguns, you can just get the holster and switch it out with the 686's on the system. The 629 and 617 I mentioned fit well also in the 686's as is, all 4" though L, K and N frames.

If your interested, you can see the variations and options on Galcos website, the model numbers but I found the best prices at the time I bought mine was on Optics Planet. I also use Galcos Leather Lotion across all my holsters, belts, scabbards, slings, bandoleers and such. It keeps the leather nice a supple.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe not in your price range, this holster might be worth taking a look at.

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

hope the link works
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at Galco.

Please dont go cheap on a holster.    The holster is almost as important as the handgun.

Personally, I would go with the Saddle holster from Andrews Custom Leather.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Take a look at Galco.

Please dont go cheap on a holster.    The holster is almost as important as the handgun.

Personally, I would go with the Saddle holster from Andrews Custom Leather.
View Quote
Thanks everyone for your replies!  That gives me some stuff to look at now.

Yeah, you're right, ironhead.  I know that, and always tell that to my friends who are holster shopping, and here I am skirting around the same issue.    
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Galco Phoenix....   You can thank me later...

Phoenix
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The key for waist carry for that revolver is a good stiff belt.  I carry mine with a Jeffery custom leather snap holster but that Phoenix posted earlier looks like it would do the trick.  Also depending on your ammo capacity needs look into a speed strip pouch for ease of carry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
In the now-rare instances that I carry my 4" 681, it's in an older Milt Sparks PMK. They're not particularly cheap - something like $80-$90 iirc, and that was probably 12-15 years ago. It has very good retention, yet is very fast at the same time. It's just a phenomenal holster that I can't recommend highly enough. I have similar holsters from Galco, Bianchi, and probably others, but as good as those are they don't come close to the PMK for overall quality.

I don't carry the gun a lot anymore; it's been relegated (promoted..?) to wife's bedroom gun loaded with +P .38 loads. But it was my regular woods gun for a number of years, and from the first day I used the PMK, the gun never rode in another holster; for hiking, hunting, or ccw purposes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
II missed if we were looking for open or cc.   I have a galco in black leather I think I got it for $34its a great holster very light I use it when hiking.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

II missed if we were looking for open or cc.   I have a galco in black leather I think I got it for $34its a great holster very light I use it when hiking.
View Quote
No worries, I may have forgotten to mention it.  Open carry while out at the farm/hunting.  

I've spent the last day or so making sure Mrs KAD and I are prepped for our deer hunt, so I haven't had a chance to shop.  I'll carry my 5" SA 1911 while out hunting, but am taking my new 686 in a soft pistol case in the backpack.  Fingers crossed we get us a few field vermin!    (We're using rifles tho.)
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 Open carry while out at the farm/hunting.    

View Quote

Another vote for Galco.  Bianchi if you want to save a bit of money over a Galco.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:52:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Watch eBay for a Bianchi 5BHL (strong side), or my favorite the Bianchi 111 Cyclone. The early 111's are cross draw only, later ones work either strong side or cross draw.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]
If speed of draw is not a consideration, look at the Hunter holsters. I have carried my Blackhawk in one during deer season with no issue for years. They are cheap but will work fine for toting a handgun around in the woods.

If it was a concealment holster that would see regular duty, yes I would get a little better quality and spend a little more money. For woods and range, Hunter is fine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I have two Galcos to fit a 686. Very nice stuff. Perfect fit, secure, look good. Easy draw and re-holster.

Can't go wrong with Galco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top