Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 1:51:26 AM EDT
My dad has run across a revolver for sale, with some historical artifacts, that he an my brother are considering picking up from a collector looking to liquidate a bunch of his collection.

The gentleman has for sale a S&W M1917.  I don't know the exact year, but it is said to be owned by an army MP, presumably of WWI vintage.  I haven't seen pictures yet, but I assume this would be a vintage army issue parkerized (?) model.  He also has I guess the MP's arm band, issued holster, billy club with his name engraved on it, maybe a belt, a few boxes of period ammo, moon clips, and pictures of the MP with his group and alone.  There may be some other items, or documentation, but I'm not sure.  Dad sent me a picture of a list of items, but I don't have it with me.

I think the person selling it is a bit high, but I'm not really a collector of these so I don't know their real worth.  If it's in good condition, what would one expect to pay for the whole package?  Does the extra stuff add up to much for collectors?

I think it's interesting, and my younger brother is really interested in the history.  I'd just hate for them to grossly overspend for something.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a really interesting piece, you should try the Smith & Wesson collectors forum.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I did exactly that, and it was a big help--quick, too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The Smith should be blued, not parked, if original.

It's obvious based off condition, but 5-7 is probably now appropriate. Everything else has frankly the value you ascribe to it.  Another couple of hundred. I wouldn't spend much more than 8, and that's if the pistol is superb.

Now, where there are MPs who love that stuff, it might be far higher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top