BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And there we have it. I thought your posts were a little shilly and you've just confirmed my suspicion. Are you an instructor for this guy who holds a revolver class which seems to emphasize NOT using a revolver? Pretty slick way to get people to buy an auto pistol and then pay to come back and take a class on auto pistols.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

I have Instructor and Advanced instructor creds under Tom Givens.

And there we have it. I thought your posts were a little shilly and you've just confirmed my suspicion. Are you an instructor for this guy who holds a revolver class which seems to emphasize NOT using a revolver? Pretty slick way to get people to buy an auto pistol and then pay to come back and take a class on auto pistols.

Uhm, no.

I'm not an instructor "for" anyone.

After running drills all day long not one single student, including a federal armed security instructor, thought the revolver to be a superior weapon compared with a modern auto-loader.

In fact the consensus was the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I am now dumber for having read this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Revolvers are absolute crap for CCW.

I realize this is a revolver forum, but let's be honest... It's not a very good fighting tool of you are dealing with more than a couple of assholes.

I recently took Tom Givens' revolver class and he said something very interesting at the start of the class...

He was wearing three 6-shot revolvers and two reloads. He made the point that carrying a Glock 19 with one spare mag would give you the same amount of firepower but with only one pistol and one spare mag.

The first hour of class was a detailed explanation of every possible malfunction that can happen with a revolver. There's a hell of a lot that can go wrong.

Get a modern weapon for fighting.

Keep your wheel-gun for BBQ parties.

ETA - I carry a Shield and one reload, BTW.

I am now dumber for having read this.

Maybe you started off that way...
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You are about to run into a building to engage 7 assholes armed with guns of various types, in order to save a family member...

You have a choice: A Glock 17 with three spare mags or a quality revolver with 9 reloads...

Which gun do you take?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You are about to run into a building to engage 7 assholes armed with guns of various types, in order to save a family member...

You have a choice: A Glock 17 with three spare mags or a quality revolver with 9 reloads...

Which gun do you take?
View Quote

That only ends well against paper targets...or movies.

Pure fantasy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?
View Quote

None of the above

You take the phased plasma gun in the 40 watt range and then you call in an airstrike with an AC-130. Might as well since we're playing fantasy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?
View Quote

You watch too many Steven Seagal movies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

...and Seagal would take a 1911.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, interesting to say the least.

Call me old school, outdated, over the hill, old fart or anything else you want. But I've carried the same revolver for decades, a cheap charter arms bulldog in 44spl. Have countless rounds thru them & never had a malfunction.

Most seems to have the idea they will have time to draw and take a defensive position to spray and pray countless rounds down range. I'm more of the opinion it will be up close by multiple assholes and shooting thru clothing. I want something that will put the thump on anything it hits. A 220gr hp doing 860fps tends to do just that.

" />

The misses on the other hand isn't as experienced with any handgun. She holds her own with a revolver until it's time to reload. So I bought here a compact 9mm, the mags are easier for her than the speedloaders.

" />

Would I carry that 9mm with the doublestack mags??? NO, I'm more caliber oriented. Been looking at the compact 45acp's, perhaps I'll get one someday. I haven't felt outgunned since the 80's with the 5-shot 44spl but I've never had assholes yelling & waving/shooting firearms at me from a block away either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I think this thread has just about run its course.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?
View Quote

Why would you choose a handgun instead of a rifle in this imaginary situation?  Even when I was in Afghanistan I never chose my M9 over my M4 and I wasn't engaging 7 assholes alone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?
View Quote

Single dumbest post of the day.

To answer the original question.

I love my air weight.  I am much more likely to encounter a common thug than I am to be involved in a terrorist attack.  

The best CC firearm is the one you carry EVERY time, all the time.

Air weight is the best solution for me.

When camping or traveling to an unknown area I will carry my g20 but those are few and far between.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#13]
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:

Which gun do you take?
View Quote

Your lack of points and sense are showing.  

Try this for a reality check of sorts.   Remember this is a hypothetical like you posted above.

It's you with your Glock 17 and 3 mags against me with my Model 15 and 2 speedloaders.  

If I draw my model 15 at a distance of say, ten feet, and point it at you will you shit your pants ?  

If the answer is "yes", then a revolver will work just fine.  

If the answer is "no", then you have never carried a gun to protect yourself in the real world.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Why is he even in the revolver forum if he doesn't like revolvers?  I find that irritating.  I guess I opened the thread up to attack, but whatever.  I've got my 442 on me now and feel good about it.  

I agree with someone's point some of this stuff happening at places you can't take guns.  But it's not always like that.  We've seen churches being shot up.  And I think some of the France shootings happened in maybe some restaurants.  Was that the case?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm finding that I feel poorly armed with only my 642 lately. I carry it when I'm traveling because it's easy to conceal, but I wish I had my SA Operator and some extra mags.

That said, I do like my 642.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

Yes ---- but lately, i would rather see Sir Liam Neeson with the hardware rushing in to back my 6.   He's slightly older now, but have you seen the Taken movies?    "Listen carefully.........I have a very special set of skills !"     Then he proceeds to whoop ass.    But really, he is in every other flick, as Irish gangsters, wilderness explorers wrestling wolves, on planes --- good shit all the way around !
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes ---- but lately, i would rather see Sir Liam Neeson with the hardware rushing in to back my 6.   He's slightly older now, but have you seen the Taken movies?    "Listen carefully.........I have a very special set of skills !"     Then he proceeds to whoop ass.    But really, he is in every other flick, as Irish gangsters, wilderness explorers wrestling wolves, on planes --- good shit all the way around !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

Unfortunately, like most Hollyweird types, he's a gun hating pacifist that would be eaten by wolves, robbed/killed by gangsters, family taken/raped/beat/ransomed/killed. #reality
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, interesting to say the least.

Call me old school, outdated, over the hill, old fart or anything else you want. But I've carried the same revolver for decades, a cheap charter arms bulldog in 44spl. Have countless rounds thru them & never had a malfunction.

Most seems to have the idea they will have time to draw and take a defensive position to spray and pray countless rounds down range. I'm more of the opinion it will be up close by multiple assholes and shooting thru clothing. I want something that will put the thump on anything it hits. A 220gr hp doing 860fps tends to do just that.

http://<a href=http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/3inchbbl_zps5d3a2f29.jpg</a>" />

The misses on the other hand isn't as experienced with any handgun. She holds her own with a revolver until it's time to reload. So I bought here a compact 9mm, the mags are easier for her than the speedloaders.

http://<a href=http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/9mmtaurus_zpsnlqcm8kg.jpg</a>" />

Would I carry that 9mm with the doublestack mags??? NO, I'm more caliber oriented. Been looking at the compact 45acp's, perhaps I'll get one someday. I haven't felt outgunned since the 80's with the 5-shot 44spl but I've never had assholes yelling & waving/shooting firearms at me from a block away either.
View Quote

I don't think you are undergunned either.  I would not want to mess with you.  Are those reloads hard to do with such a flat profile?????
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why is he even in the revolver forum if he doesn't like revolvers?  I find that irritating.  I guess I opened the thread up to attack, but whatever.  I've got my 442 on me now and feel good about it.  

I agree with someone's point some of this stuff happening at places you can't take guns.  But it's not always like that.  We've seen churches being shot up.  And I think some of the France shootings happened in maybe some restaurants.  Was that the case?
View Quote

The problem is in a country that has heavy gun restrictions, every place is a soft target. I know gun ownership is severely limited in most of Europe, and conceal carry is even less likely to be allowed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pure fantasy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

Pure fantasy.

It's this thing called a "hypothetical scenario" to prove a point. One that clearly went right over your head.

The only fantasy I'm seeing in this thread is one where 100+ year old technology is considered adequate against multiple hostiles.

But given the choices answer the question.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why would you choose a handgun instead of a rifle in this imaginary situation?  Even when I was in Afghanistan I never chose my M9 over my M4 and I wasn't engaging 7 assholes alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

I wouldn't choose a handgun over a rifle.

In an ideal scenario run my suppressed 12.5" AR.

But if my only options were a wheel gun or a hi capacity 9mm, I'd choose the latter.

Now if you can honestly do it, answer my stupid question... You are in a situation where you have to fight with whats on you against multiple attackers to save a loved one from multiple armed attackers....

Do you want a six shooter with reloads or modern hi-cap auto loader with reloads?

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

Pure fantasy.

If are not a LEO/Mil and you walk around every day feeling the need to carry a full size semi auto and around 70 rounds of ammunition, you really need to rethink the situations you put yourself in. Either that or become realistic about what a SD scenario will actually entail.

Don't get me wrong, people are free to carry whatever they want that helps them feel better prepared but at some point you pass the point of being completely unrealistic or dreaming about your chances of survival.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really didn't mean to hijack your thread.

From your OP you seemed to be admitting that with the current terror threats, BLM etc., a wheel gun didn't seem to be ideal.

I think for EDC a wheel gun is "ok."

For fighting multiple assholes, if a pistol is your only option, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't choose a modern high capacity over a revolver.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If are not a LEO/Mil and you walk around every day feeling the need to carry a full size semi auto and around 70 rounds of ammunition, you really need to rethink the situations you put yourself in. Either that or become realistic about what a SD scenario will actually entail.

Don't get me wrong, people are free to carry whatever they want that helps them feel better prepared but at some point you pass the point of being completely unrealistic or dreaming about your chances of survival.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

Pure fantasy.

Maybe you should re-read the OP. "Any of you J frame carriers feel like you need more after these attacks and such? "

And I don't feel the need to carry a full size auto and 70 rounds every day.

I've already said that my EDC is a Shield plus a reload for a total of 17 rounds on my person.

When I'm on a PSD I carry a full size gun and two reloads.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Try this for a reality check of sorts.   Remember this is a hypothetical like you posted above.

It's you with your Glock 17 and 3 mags against me with my Model 15 and 2 speedloaders.  

If I draw my model 15 at a distance of say, ten feet, and point it at you will you shit your pants ?  

If the answer is "no", then you have never carried a gun to protect yourself in the real world.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

lol

Next time you are in TN we can load up some airsoft pistols and test your theory.

We used sims in the SOCOM-approved academy I attended but airsoft should still work.

And you seem to be missing the point... look at how many reloads would need to be performed on the wheel gun compared to the auto loader. Get my point?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a better chance of being struck by lightening than of being caught up in an 'active shooter' type incident.
So no, I do not sweat my daily carry.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

lol

Next time you are in TN we can load up some airsoft pistols and test your theory.

We used sims in the SOCOM-approved academy I attended but airsoft should still work.

And you seem to be missing the point... look at how many reloads would need to be performed on the wheel gun compared to the auto loader. Get my point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

lol

"SOCOM-approved"?

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

"SOCOM-approved"?

http://i68.tinypic.com/mt2ip.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

lol

"SOCOM-approved"?

Correct.

There are only a handful of SOCOM approved training programs and I happen to be an alum of one of them. And it's not an online program. It's real life.

You?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Correct.

There are only a handful of SOCOM approved training programs and I happen to be an alum of one of them. And it's not an online program. It's real life.

You?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

lol

"SOCOM-approved"?

Correct.

You?

Something about using SOCOM and aitlrsoft in the same post invalidates your man card.

Nobody cares about the length of your penis, how far you can pee, or how big your dad's teeth are.

The subject is being comfortable with what you're carrying in light of worldwide terrorist attacks.

Frankly, without a rifle and some squad support I'd feel undergunned. On my daily walks things are just fine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Which gun do you take?
View Quote

I would take neither, because the SWAT team would be making entry, not me.

And 7 against 1 is not very good odds.

Maybe if you are playing SOCOM or Call of Duty, or Fallout 4, but in the real world, no.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#31]
In my brain I'm constantly fighting the question of if I need more, and what I should do about it..  I carry my J frame every day pretty much all day and it is always there and works with my lifestyle.  But the grass is always greener.  They're harder to shoot well compared to a bigger gun, and the rounds I choose might not be quite as effective as a 9mm or something bigger.

And if you were ever in a situation that involved more than 1 bad guy, you more than likely would be wishing you had more.  But a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.  

I probably should've never got rid of my G19.  It was uncomfortable and I didn't shoot it as well as some of my bigger autos.  But I probably shot it better than I do my 442.  But I've never tried to carry around a G19 for any length of time.  I think it would probably feel really bulky and annoying for my lifestyle and so would a G26.  Now, I know it's supposed to be comforting and not comfortable.   LOL.  

Anyways.....  I'm going to keep carrying my 442, and I'm going to keep dry firing and shooting it and get better with it.  But I'm not sure I'll ever shake that feeling of thinking I should have something with more capacity that is easier to shoot accurately.  So there in lies the rub.  Do I NEED to act on that feeling or is it all just internet commando hype.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Maybe if you are playing SOCOM or Call of Duty, or Fallout 4, but in the real world, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

I see this conversation is going right over your head as well...
I know it's hard to admit but wheel guns make terrible fighting tools against multiple attackers.
The only people engaging in fantasy in this thread are those who think otherwise.
I posed a hypothetical worst case scenario question to provoke some thought but clearly some folks are incapable of it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?
View Quote

You don't carry a Glock 17 with three spare mags, and I don't carry a quality revolver with 9 reloads. So what's the point of your hypothetical question?

However, if you're married to this hypothetical scenario, I'd take the "quality revolver." A S&W Model TRR8 would leave me with one .357 Magnum round to spare after 7 head shots, and, if I had to reload, I'd just throw the full-moon clips in the general direction of the cylinder just like Jerry Miculek. That way I could dump an entire cylinder into each dirtbag and have three full-moon clips left for the inevitable counterattack. See? I even handled your "reloading" question.

Maybe you should have made it 17 assholes. Or 73. Or a whole freaking infantry company.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I know it's hard to admit but wheel guns make terrible fighting tools against multiple attackers.

The only people engaging in fantasy in this thread are those who think otherwise.

I posed a hypothetical worst case scenario question to provoke some thought but clearly some folks are incapable of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

Dude, you are trolling....Give it a rest.

You have no facts to prove "wheel guns" are terrible fighting tools, just your own personal bias.

The GIGN has already proved your Call of Duty theory is horseshit on multiple levels,

so go back to trolling GD.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I personally don't mind a bit of waxing eloquent about the upsides and downsides to either platform.  I like pistols.  It's just that I don't think that revolvers are as bad as a lot of the pro pistol people seem to argue.  And I like their upsides.  

No limpwristing issues, ammo issues aren't as big a deal.  You just keep on rotating.  I prefer a DA revolver over a glock type when holstering a loaded weapon.  And if I choose to unload on a regular basis, I don't have to be too concerned with bullet setback.  I used to unload every night.  Now I just leave it in the holster in my pants, hanging on my bedpost.  So that's not as big of an issue as it used to be for me.  And having a long, heavy trigger pull although not overly inducive to super precise accuracy, is a better thing for scary, crap your pants in your face scenarios for ME .  I'm not really sure I want a 6 pound single action type trigger with a lot of rounds to zip off overly fast.  ESPECIALLY if there are a lot of other people around.   Although you could turn that argument around say if your more accurate with a lighter trigger, the more likely a round will not go wild.  

So......  I'm sure I didn't cover it all.  But yeah, I don't really plan to run into a building with seven bad guys holding my family hostage.  I might if I had to with whatever I had, and sure I'd like to have a semi with lots of rounds.  But I think like most have said, it's kind of an off the wall fantasy.

Now, since I referenced the attacks in France, we can talk about that.  I wasn't necessarily talking about what I would've done in any of those particular situations, but more or less it just made me think about wanting more gun.  As does any of these wacko shootings.  Oregon, the Church in was it North Carolina?  Or Virgina, I forget.  The theater shooting.  We had one here where the guy I think was taking potshots at people on a walking trail from a good ways off.  I would rather have a rifle slung over my back for that one.   Also from what I understand, I don't think each attack spot had multiple guys.  Weren't some working on their own, it's just that several happened at the same time?  Or were there multiple at each spot?   Probably that auditorium one had more than one guy, but like someone said, the lawful citizens couldn't have guns anyways......

There is no perfect tool for all scenarios.  Because we're just not to to the point where carrying a carbine over your shoulder is the thing to do.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?

The problem most have had isn't that you said semi auto's are better than revolvers, very few will argue that since they are the next evolution of the handgun. The problem is that you said revolvers are less reliable, and then proposed a scenario that would end in nothing but death for the conceal carry holder regardless of handgun selection. The only bearing your selection of firearm would have in that situation is what kind of gun the bad guys get to take off your corpse.

When comparing j-frames to a comparable sized semi auto there are arguments that can be made for the selection of either. Once you get into full frame revolvers vs comparable semi autos the argument lends only to the revolver when making statements about experience, personal preference, or perceived reliability advantage.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#37]
LOL.  Well said  Well said.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I concur.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#39]
For a quick trip to the store, walking the dog or around the house I'm more than comfortable carrying my SW 649-2. Knowing that I've got 5 and the wife 5 in her LCR as my backup is fine.

That being said, and now with the "peaceful protests" in Chicago, if I'm going into a known bad area or one that has the potential to turn at a moments notice a Glock 30 or 1911 with a couple of extra mags is not out of the question if I ABSOLUTELY MUST go to those areas.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
-Double feed TRB

View Quote

Time out.

You don't clear a double feed with a tap and rack, that's just the first step because it clears most jams, but it doesn't clear a double feed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I used to have a Ruger LCR, but I moved to a LC9 due to identical wight and quicker reloads/more ammo. I still like the feel of the little snub-nose guns but they can't compete at firepower for size.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I do at times. When I run to the quiki mart or to get gas I carry my little 38, but when I go out for any duration I carry a semi-auto. I am f.d. and believe it or not,we have people that hate us as well. I also have the double whammy of "looking like a cop",whatever that means. I have been asked a few times by the not so savory characters.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Which gun do you take?
View Quote

Ahh... just as I suspected. You may go back to your video games and your fantasies of saving the world with one Glock and a couple of spare mags.

People like you will be the first to wet their highly trained mall ninja pants when things go south.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Milt Sparks Summer Special 2.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Still VERY comfortable EDC my S&W 36 not feeling undergunned at all.

** Not an internet commando***
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#46]

I can't believe I read all 4 pages of silly shit about arguing over feeling undergunned in fantasy world. For everyday carry a revolver will do it's duty. I've been in my tank and felt undergunned at times....that's life or death.

If you intend to carry and use your handgun to engage and take out the enemy.... I would hazard that not only would you be undergunned but you don't sport enough brain capacity either and that is the much greater threat than your choice of weapons. Your handgun is only used to fight your way out of the threat or to get your rifle....duh.

For civilian use revolvers are great for defensive use. Now I'll let the Call of Duty commando's opine fantasy world scenerios where you should really carry an RPG.

God help me, I replied to this.... I'll still carry my revolvers and 1911's.
On second thought, I'll just go and get my glass of Milk and Cookies Momma left for me.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'll still carry my revolvers and 1911's.On second thought, I'll just go and get my glass of Milk and Cookies Momma left for me.

View Quote

That's sig line material right there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#48]
As much as I love well-made revolvers, my thoughts on the 5-shot J-frame changed considerably after I was involved in a situation with a local, known drug dealer.

It was 12 years ago, and verbal threats on my life were being made by the scumbag, who was across the counter from me (I was working as a retail manager at the time).  Thankfully, I did NOT have to clear leather in this situation, but I learned a lot that day.

I know that for me, personally, when someone is threatening my life, my heart rate jumps up, my speech can become broken, and fine motor skills are not as precise. My take-away from that situation was that if things turned sour and we both began moving, I'd have likely missed the guy two, maybe three times. Would the remaining shots have been enough to incapacitate him? If they landed in the right place, sure. However, if his buddy (or buddies) then entered the store looking to do me harm, I'd have been caught with my pants down and a Safariland loader in hand.

For me, having 5 shots of .38 Special isn't enough. I consider myself lucky to have found this out without having to fill the air with lead. I have recently found comfort carrying a 7 shot CM9 and a spare reload instead, although current World affairs are pushing me to holster up with a 16 shot 9mm when going into densely populated areas.

For many years now, I've carried a .357 Mag K-frame when hiking in the FL woods, as I feel that is one of its best uses. If I'm more worried about two-legged critters, then I'll choose a 9mm with higher capacity each and every time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#49]
For me the problem isn't about action (pistol v. revolver) - it is about size. I am infinitely more effective in terms of speed, accuracy, and reloads with a full size weapon than I am with a sub-compact. Part of this is because I have not done anything to upgrade the sights on my SP101, which is on me, but most of it is because I work better with a service weapon. As a result, my carry choice is full size. It happens to be a pistol, but I am a revolver fan going back over 20 years, and the "bedside" handgun in my world IS a revolver because my wife is more comfortable with one.

-shooter
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
For me the problem isn't about action (pistol v. revolver) - it is about size. I am infinitely more effective in terms of speed, accuracy, and reloads with a full size weapon than I am with a sub-compact. Part of this is because I have not done anything to upgrade the sights on my SP101, which is on me, but most of it is because I work better with a service weapon. As a result, my carry choice is full size. It happens to be a pistol, but I am a revolver fan going back over 20 years, and the "bedside" handgun in my world IS a revolver because my wife is more comfortable with one.

-shooter
View Quote

What full sized handgun do you carry?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top