Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2015 10:49:19 PM EDT
My LGS has a well used K-38 combat masterpiece.  Trying to find out if it has been worked over or is a parts gun.  It's a 4 screw.   Serial number dates to 1956-57

Did S&W add serialization info on the bottom/underside of the barrel near the lug besides on the frame near the crane?  Did they serialize the cylinders also?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Most but not all pre model number smiths had serials on the butt bottom of the barrel back of the cylinder and underside of the ejector.
On most smiths the serial number of the frame is on the butt. Often people confuse assembly numbers ( not in any way related to the serial number) inside the crane
On some vintages of smiths they did also put the serial number on the frame in the same location of the model number
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to smith and Wesson forum - there are hard core collectors there who pretty much go by " never say never" with S&W! There are legit examples of model number era guns with serialized parts and pre model number guns without. Some dash number revision guns not having the engineering change or those without the dash that have them. Another place for the serial number on parts is the crane it will be on the part of the crane facing the front of the chambers ( not well visualized with the cylinder still attached
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help.  I'll head over to that forum.  I just don't want to put money into a shooter ($250) to find out the barrel has been replaced etc.  Kind of wanted somewhat original.
Assembly # is on frame where the crane resides and I did have the LGS pull the grips to verify the "K" serial on butt.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I would think if the barrel WAS put on their after the fact.  And it's done properly, it would still be worth 250.  Maybe more.  As long as it's a correct barrel for that model and caliber and it wasn't done by Bubba.  Meaning if it was done right.  But I guess that would be hard to know without being a gunsmith yourself???  I don't know.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#5]
For a working gun, if the gun checks out ( end shake timing push off etc)$250 would be a jump on it price for me!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I would think if the barrel WAS put on their after the fact. And it's done properly
View Quote

I took a look at it again yesterday.  Barrel is correct.  Timing is correct.  Minimal end shake, at least same or similar to other revolvers I own.  Aftermarket Pachmeyer grips.  Definitely some holster wear and that's why I believe it's priced where it's at.  

It's only 250 so I'll drop the coin.  

Thanks again
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics???
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#9]
It's now on layaway.  I'll post pics when I pick it up next month.  Ran across a Rem sportmans 12 with mod choked barrel that just came in.   I picked up for my kid as Christmas present.  Amazing folks dump guns during the holiday season to pay the bills.  guess it's something I wouldn't do. Knock on wood.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#10]
A S&W Combat Masterpiece that passes the inspection test would be worth $250.00 all day long and out the door. Sounds like a great find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top