Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2015 10:26:57 AM EDT
Was tempted to get into revolvers with S&W's new 9mm revolver, but it seems the colt Python is always seen as the grail revolver at around $3000 for a stainless 6" version, correct?

Any concerns with buying used revolvers?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your purpose for the revolver?  To collect or to shoot?  If it is to collect the Python may be a good purchase but I honestly think they have peaked in value and while they may go up in value in the future I do not think it would be a wise investment.  If you are looking for a revolver to shoot I would choose a nice Smith for a lot less money.  The Pythons are excellent revolvers but you can pick up almost any Smith for a lot less money.  Also, you mentioned wanting a 9mm revolver but also a Python which were never chambered in 9mm?  I would personally suggest something in .357 for a first wheel gun, something like a 586, 686, 19, 66 pre lock which can still be found for less than $1K in excellent condition.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#2]
yep,  go with a sound pre lock smith for a shooter, or even a Hillary hole smith.

The Colt is nice but they are like a swiss watch inside.  When it gets enough wear from use, which it will, it will need to be reworked.  Colt isn't making parts for them so I hope your parts on still in the bins last filled in the 90's.   There are some parts they are already out of.    (FYI you may have a part stamped 1 that was fitted to your gun when new,  with wear at a rebuild that 1 may be needed to be replaced by the same part, a 2,3,4 etc of a slightly different dimension to account for the wear.  

Oh and Colt experienced smiths are getting harder and harder to find.  

Just my two cents.  If you're a collector by all means collect your Colt python.  If you're going to shoot the gun a lot, get a Smith or even a Ruger.  

I'm not dissing Colt, just realize it's dated, out of production, and support is dwindling.  I have one and I shoot it sparingly.  I have a S&W19 and 28 to shoot.

ETA- a shooter grade Python with holster wear should go for a lot less than 3k.  A stainless 6" like the one in the Walking Dead might be a premium now simply because of the show.  In my opinion, the older blued guns were way better than the late era stainless ones.    Mine is a 1961 Royal Blue Python.

Also there is always a concern buying a used revolver.  You want to know if it's original and not someone's gun they modified or played with the internal parts and didn't know what they were doing.  Is the gun worn enough ready for the guts to need a smith's attention?  Shooting one that is in need of timing rework is not good for it.  I'm not an expert by any means but the guns need to be timed.  Some google searching should find you some instructional videos or websited on how to check out a used revolver.   Things like bent cranes, end shake, inspecting timing, top strap cutting.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not dissing Colt, just realize it's dated, out of production, and support is dwindling.  I have one and I shoot it sparingly.
View Quote

I think they are pretty but I couldn't see myself owning a Python for all of the reasons already listed. If you are going to attempt getting into big bore hand guns then I'd probably start with an inexpensive and reliable Ruger Super Blackhwak. If you want DA then Super Redhawk. If you decide you don't like it then you 1) haven't over committed and 2) can likely get most of your investment back out of it.

I'm biased as well. I don't like the way S&Ws look. I know that's no real reason for picking a handgun (and I know plenty of folks think the Rugers are ugly) but, to me, the cylinder on S&Ws is too far forward. I guess when I think of a revolver I think of a Colt SAA and anything that deviates from that too far looks goofy to me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Ha, so true on the eye appeal of certain handguns.  

For me I tried the single actions and after awhile I detested loading gate guns, especially on .22's.  I'd rather swing and dump with an ejector.

For me the eye appeal of the old smith's lay in the bluing and styling, especially with the target grips.  My eye preferred the Smith style to the Colt's and I like the cylinder release latch better on the smith's too.  Not a big fan of the Colt Python OEM wood grips either.  Mine are safely tucked in a box.

Chil, that eye appeal to the buyer isn't a moot point at all, a lot of guns are sold on that alone.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Pythons are great guns.  If you are only going to run a few boxes of shells through it every year, it will last a long time and retain or gain in value. If you want a gun to shoot, get a S&W 19, 27, 28, or preferably a 586 or 686.  If you want a 357 to shoot a lot and run full house full power reloads get a Ruger.  IMHOYMV.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Go ahead and get the Python. Then you will appreciate the trigger in a good prelock Smith 27!
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Wanting one to shoot about once a month. Figured the price can only keep going up from here and I'm a decently young fella. Just don't know much if anything about revolvers. But the Python sure is purrty! Was just wondering how hard it is to maintain them and even eventually fix them up.

What's this about timing?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The one in "The Walking Dead" carried by "Rick" is a nickel 6" Python, if it's a stainless one then it's the polished one. I have a nickel 4" one, still haven't shot it. Bought it two years ago from a friend for about 1500. The smiths that know about Pyhtons and Detectives shrink every year. Similar clockwork most of the parts are hand fitted. If your planning on shooting it a lot, save yourself some money and get a Smith or Ruger.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wanting one to shoot about once a month. Figured the price can only keep going up from here and I'm a decently young fella. Just don't know much if anything about revolvers. But the Python sure is purrty! Was just wondering how hard it is to maintain them and even eventually fix them up.

View Quote

You have six cylinders, they have to be centered on the barrel when the round fires.  There's a stop that engages a notch on the cylinder for each chamber, they all have to be right or you're banging lead a touch off center of the boreline which isn't good for it.  Inside there are a bunch of parts that have to work smoothly without excessive slop to get all that to work right.  I am no expert on the inside.  I've only cracked one of my revolvers open, my S&W 28 because it was very old but like new in use.  The old lube was dried and gummy.  Generally like over and under shotguns, you pay an expert to clean your revolvers and check them out.  In the heyday of police armorers who were trained by the factory to do the work on them there were plenty of guys that were good at it and at the same time all those police revolvers got a good exam every year or two by guys who had a box of replacement parts.    My agency has been out of the revolver thing for over 30 years now.  We had an excellent armorer who used to live in the area I used to work.  He was in his late seventies or eighties and recently passed on.   He was that good that my friend and local gunsmith would have just told me to take my revolvers to him.   He still had all the tools and parts.  Wish I knew what happened to them but I don't live there anymore and I'm not the kind of guy to go ask about stuff like that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was tempted to get into revolvers with S&W's new 9mm revolver, but it seems the colt Python is always seen as the grail revolver at around $3000 for a stainless 6" version, correct?
View Quote

Pythons are probably not the best placed to start. I'd start with a S&W 27, 28 or 586 or 686.

Quoted:
View Quote

Check the cylinder timing and endplay.

You can also check the forcing cone for issues, and the barrel for proper alignment and no bulges.

Personally the revolvers I want have already been built, so used is the way I would go.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Since you want to shoot it, if you want NIB, get a Ruger GP100 and call it a day.  They have no lock, not ridiculously priced, and built like a tank.  It can handle as many full house 357's as you can send down the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think they are pretty but I couldn't see myself owning a Python for all of the reasons already listed. If you are going to attempt getting into big bore hand guns then I'd probably start with an inexpensive and reliable Ruger Super Blackhwak. If you want DA then Super Redhawk. If you decide you don't like it then you 1) haven't over committed and 2) can likely get most of your investment back out of it.

I'm biased as well. I don't like the way S&Ws look. I know that's no real reason for picking a handgun (and I know plenty of folks think the Rugers are ugly) but, to me, the cylinder on S&Ws is too far forward. I guess when I think of a revolver I think of a Colt SAA and anything that deviates from that too far looks goofy to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not dissing Colt, just realize it's dated, out of production, and support is dwindling.  I have one and I shoot it sparingly.

I like the way S&W looks. And their triggers. Ruger has nice durability, however.

However, why Super Blackhawk/Super Redhawk? A regular Blackhawk or Redhawk is probably a better choice for a plinker.

Personally I would recommend a DA revolver since it gives you twice the shooting experience.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I like the way S&W looks. And their triggers. Ruger has nice durability, however.

However, why Super Blackhawk/Super Redhawk? A regular Blackhawk or Redhawk is probably a better choice for a plinker.

Personally I would recommend a DA revolver since it gives you twice the shooting experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I was thinking new rather than used. A used Black/Redhawk would be cheaper.

My dad has an 8 shot S&W that I've shot quite a bit of 38 and 357 out of (I don't know the model, but it does have the trigger lock). It shoots just fine, but the look... He has a GP 100 that neither of us has shot. I'm looking forward to shooting it some day. The gap between the grips and the cylinder on it looks more like a Smith than a Ruger to me. I only have 2 revolvers. I have a Ruger Single Six that I've had for years, was my first gun, and if I had to sell everything would be my last gun to go. My other revolver is a Super Blackhawk in 44. And 44 specials out of it are nice and smooth. I love shooting the thing. I really haven't tried it out at much distance yet though. The difference between special and magnum is quite noticeable.

... I really want to shoot that GP 100 but cannot push the subject with my dad or will just have to go buy my own.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#15]
>>Check the cylinder timing and endplay.<<

As one gunsmith once told me, the only Pythons that are in time are the ones that haven't been fired much.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out the Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I turned 21 my first purchase was a 6" blue Colt Python. Dear God do I wish I had never let my ex get her greedy paws on it. Bitch probably sold it to a pawn shop for a couple of hundred dollars!                    

ETA- This was in 1981 and I forget how much I paid for it, but the figure of $600 sounds familiar. The only gunshop in the town of Havelock NC, outside the gates of Cherry Point, where I was stationed at the time.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:53:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wanting one to shoot about once a month. Figured the price can only keep going up from here and I'm a decently young fella. Just don't know much if anything about revolvers. But the Python sure is purrty! Was just wondering how hard it is to maintain them and even eventually fix them up. if you fix them up - they'll lose collector value so do not pay collector price.

View Quote

forget the price thing its at a peak now

I see all matching gew43s go for $3000 with scope alot

a shooter python is a 900-1200 gun- same with a smith 27-5 or below a pristine in box who knows but how can the market justify a python(or any snake gun) going for a price similar to a gen 1 SAA its crazy.

they have no historic value and while nice it is complete commodity fedishing
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't speak to the Python, but an old S&W Model 10 is a great first revolver or handgun. Shoot it much at all, and you'll find that it is also a lifelong firearm.

These Model 10s were produced in great numbers for the civilian and LE market at what would probably be considered today as "semi-custom" quality.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a python 4 inch nickel in 60% condition for $750.00.

I have cleaned up since and was offered $1000.00.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I know I'm going to try and track down a 6" Stainless preferably with wood grips. Big fan of the Walking Dead so it sort of only amplified my lust for one. Problem is all the stainless Pythons I'm seeing are black grips.

Just found out there's a Bright Stainless version as well. Wondering if they're aftermarket polish jobs or are they just even more rare examples of Pythons?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well I know I'm going to try and track down a 6" Stainless preferably with wood grips. Big fan of the Walking Dead so it sort of only amplified my lust for one. Problem is all the stainless Pythons I'm seeing are black grips.

Just found out there's a Bright Stainless version as well. Wondering if they're aftermarket polish jobs or are they just even more rare examples of Pythons?
View Quote

The Pachmayr grips were used on a lot if not most of their stainless and coltguard Pythons.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#23]
How improved are the newer front sights with the red stripe? Think I found a nice Python online in my price range, but the front sight is just a simple black front sight.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How improved are the newer front sights with the red stripe? Think I found a nice Python online in my price range, but the front sight is just a simple black front sight.
View Quote

Front sights are one of the parts that are still available. Personally I prefer all black, but don't let that that stop you if you really like the gun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Python not known for durability:

You could buy good used 6 Dan Wesson revolvers  for 3K.  It would take 6 Pythons to out last one the 6 Dan Wesson revolvers.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You could buy good used 6 Dan Wesson revolvers  for 3K.  It would take 6 Pythons to out last one the 6 Dan Wesson revolvers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's not gonna listen. More interested in it because it's in a movie.

I think a lot of SPAS-12s were sold the same way.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Smith has been doing the red inserts on some model's since the 70s. What is this "new" you speak of ?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Are Colt Troopers out there ? Way back when, we sold more Troopers because of price, compared to the Python, and availability.

If it was me, I'd be looking for used S&W Models 19,66,686 . The Smiths always held up better when people were carrying revolvers every day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah the Colt Python is the finest revolver made, but if you want to shoot a lot, get a S&W N frame 27 or 28!  The other catch with the Pythons, is like all guns, the older ones are better!  You want something from the early mfg years, '50-'70.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are Colt Troopers out there ? Way back when, we sold more Troopers because of price, compared to the Python, and availability.

If it was me, I'd be looking for used S&W Models 19,66,686 . The Smiths always held up better when people were carrying revolvers every day.
View Quote

Yes, Troopers are out there, they will run with pretty much anything S&W put out and are extremely strong. I snagged this one a while ago to go with my blued 4" one.

The best thing is that you can still snag them for cheap.

[/img]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, Troopers are out there, they will run with pretty much anything S&W put out and are extremely strong. I snagged this one a while ago to go with my blued 4" one.

http://i67.tinypic.com/v4xx5f.jpg[/url]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i67.tinypic.com/v4xx5f.jpg[/url]

Yep, Troopers are an excellent value. Especially the ones made 1953-1969 prior to the MKIII (the change was implemented during 1969). They had the same lockwork as the Python until the MKIII, when Colt changed the design to be cheaper to manufacture. The MKIII's are great guns too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had my Python for over 20 years, in that time I've owned a couple dozen different Pre lock Smith's and Ruger's in that time, Python is without a doubt the best revolver. Having said that the Python's have gotten absolutely ridiculous in price, and because of that it stay's in the safe and gets shot once or twice a year and the only revolvers in my house that see regular use are pre-lock S&W 38's. If you have the money buy a Python chances are the price will only go up, if not buy a pre-lock S&W 686 put a spring kit in it and you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Main thing to check on a used revolver id the timing of the cylinder. AN untimed cylinder can cause lead shavings during firing and worse. I had a Colt Python 6" blue back in the 80's. Wished I had never sold it, but I thought I could always buy another one later. Then Colt ceased production. You might look at the German Korth revolver. They look a lot like a Python, but, are current production with German quality.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd agree with the posts above about the python probably being a decent investment, and smiths being more shooter-oriented. I've owned L-frames as well as one Python, and being the low-grade redneck that I am, the L-frames were my preference for actual carry guns every time. Pythons were great guns for what they were - finely tuned, very smooth revolvers. But tight tolerances and hand fitting make them less than robust; or at least less forgiving than most revolvers.

In a lot of cases (including the pre-Mk3 Lawman models mentioned above), the question of Colt vs. Smith is a lot like Ford vs. Chevy. IMO, in the specific case of L-Frame vs. Python, it's more like Ford vs. Bentley.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Buy a used SW model 10 and see how you like shooting wheel guns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top