Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2015 3:00:28 PM EDT
This will be my first large revolver purchase.  Anyone have this model?  Pros/Cons?

Planning to have it in a shoulder holster for hog hunts.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a plan to me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure and post pictures when you get it, I want one too. Though I think the TRR8 with the removable rails will be my goal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

This will be my first large revolver purchase.  Anyone have this model?  Pros/Cons?

Thanks.
View Quote

If you're going to carry it a lot and shoot it a little (especial with full power 357) then the R8 or TRR8 are both nice options.  If you're going to shoot it a lot (like say USPSA revolver division) you might look at the 627 since it has a stainless instead of aluminum frame and the extra weight makes it a more pleasant shooter.  They are all nice revolvers and will be a good choice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

the r8 you cannot remove the under barrel rail
the TRR8  you can remove therail.

the rail on both models is so far forward it is practically useless.  you cannot reach the switch with your strong hand.

also research the scandium frame, its a matter of preference & weight

but I have looked at these for years I go back & forth over the trr8 and 627 8 shot I finally got my dream gun a 7 shot 686 mountain gun no lock
as long as you don't care about the rail & scandium frame I think you'd save some coin grabbing a 627 8 shot if you want what you describe a light weight hog gun look at the 44 mag L frame if 357 is a requirement - it is for me a 3 or 4inch TALO 686 will do well in that role.  also look into 625 mountain guns in 45 longcolt.

the r8 & trr8 are great guns but they are specific guns  meant to compete head to head with top end 1911 or by shield carrier in a swat team.  the light weight is a major attractant I still want one but I have no use for it.  

good luck
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Also check out the 7 shot 686,   and a 629

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I own an R8, it was actually my first gun purchase and it convinced me to go full on into the world of gun ownership. Years later, this and my P226 Mk25 are my favorite pistols.

That being said, I have had some issues after nearly 2000 rounds of 357 mag. some of the screws are in need of Loctite as they work themselves loose after a few shots, and the revolver has been known to have light primer strikes. strangely enough this is more common when firing in double action than in single action. I know the problems I have seen would be resolved by the S&W warranty, but I just haven't gotten around to sending it in.

Buy the R8, it's an excellent revolver. perfect balance and highly accurate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Want to expand on some of these other comments.

For high volume shooting its hard to beat a GP100.

I have a couple...... one with 100 rds thru it one with 5000 rds thru it.
2/3rds of those rds were 38 SPC and 1/3 were .357 magnum (mostly Fiochchi 142gr)

Its almost impossible for me to tell the difference between the 2 w/o me looking at the serial numbers......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top