Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 2:33:25 AM EDT
Hello all I seek the advice of the forum. I recently got a decent deal on a Ruger .44 mag vaquero. Im looking for a western style holster. I want one with good uality and durabilty Im between the 1890 an 1880s from el paso saddlery.  Is there a difference in durabilty between the single and double strap. also I got the "case hardened" version which has a god awful finish. an part of it has actually come off and Ive decided to refinish it. Im considering the Birdsong Blackt since Ive read good things about it. Does anyone have any other suggestions in a similar price range, Durabilty is also key here.
Thanks,
WB
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't bother with refinishing working the gun out of a holster is going to induce wear - unless you have rust issues ( I have over 100 year old finish worn guns and with basic wipe down is not a problem) refinishing is a waste of time money and effort.
Either El Paso holster will be plenty durable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
awesome, I went ahead and ordered the holster and belt from them. I still think I will get it refinished anyway simply because it is a tad too worn on one side and Id like it to be uniform.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The Ruger "case color" is produced chemically and isn't real CCH.  That said, it's usually an extremely durable finish, it just doesn't stay new looking.  Those large frame Vaqueros are beasts, I have one in .45 Colt and it's awesome.  As far as holsters go, any of the big name makers will hold up a lifetime.  El Paso Saddelry, Triple K, Mernickle....are all excellent.  Congrats on the new large frame Vaquero!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top