Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2015 5:12:48 PM EDT
About 15 years ago I shot a standard, no frills, stainless 629 with a 6 inch barrel. I was amazed how accurate it was. After many years of shooting Rugers, I'm finally thinking of picking up a 629. Are the modern standard 629s (straight barrel, no lugs, no frills) still as accurate? I'd probably get a trigger job on it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the new ones made now are just as accurate as the old ones. Were it not for that GD trigger lock, the used ones would be 1/3 less cheaper, IMO........  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the Performance Center Stealth Hunter, It's awesome!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My 4" shoots like a laser, given all I have ever shot with it is steel at distance

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, the new ones made now are just as accurate as the old ones. Were it not for that GD trigger lock, the used ones would be 1/3 less cheaper, IMO........  
View Quote

Maybe, but people would still pay a premium for forged parts over MIM.

ETA: This post is not meant to start a pissing match over MIM vs forged parts. I realize MIM parts are likely perfectly adequate for the job, but I'd still take an older forged parts gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The older ones are better if you plan on shooting cast lead bullets.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My 629 4" is about 7 years old and I won't let anyone mess with it's trigger. Of all my handguns bar none, it has the best break of any of them and most have wonderful pulls. A few people that I've let try it with custom or pro shop versions wanted to know who worked it and they all were shocked when I said it was straight factory. Who knows, maybe one of the old time smiths was bored one day and decided to work the line but it is a work of art. Can't speak of the more recent ones.

Peace.

T.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Why are the older ones better for cast lead bullets?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Older ones had button rifled barrels (pre 2000 or so).
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
My "modern" 629 is extremely accurate, although it is a PC gun with a sweet action and trigger.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Likely to be more accurate since the cylinder throats are all the same size.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:47:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My "modern" 629 is extremely accurate, although it is a PC gun with a sweet action and trigger.
View Quote

The PC guns do have nice triggers for sure, as do the old ones. If I find a good deal on a PC 642 it is coming home with me, lock or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top