Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2015 10:53:39 AM EDT
I am stuck between a 5.5" and 7.5" barrel for a hunting handgun.
Mostly for smaller Texas deer, hogs, and varmints.
Going to hunt with irons.

Is there any real reason to go for a bigger barrel?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am stuck between a 5.5" and 7.5" barrel for a hunting handgun.
Mostly for smaller Texas deer, hogs, and varmints.
Going to hunt with irons.

Is there any real reason to go for a bigger barrel?
View Quote

The long range silhouette shooters use long barrel length in the 8" to 10" range.
This gives longer sight radius and more velocity.

But, they fire from the supported Creedmoor position which is unlikely in the to be useful in the field hunting.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I am thinking. Since my shots will be around 50 yards max. I am looking for (anecdotal) experience with the two. Will the 50-75 fps loss in velocity make a noticeable difference?

Btw I am near sighted, so too long makes it harder to aim.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The 5.5" should be plenty if you are shooting normal handgun distances.  The longer barrels seem unwieldy to me but it's a personal thing.  Another option would be a red dot or a low power scope.  I put a red dot on mine and I really like it, just put the dot on the shooty spot and pull the trigger.

Here's mine, a S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum with a Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]

I am interested in your question.

I have been loading very heavy bullets, hardcast 335gr to 360gr, in my .45 Colt for defense against bear and moose.

I would like to use my 5.5" .45 Colt for deer hunting using expanding bullets, e.g. X-bullets.
I would like to hear about performance vs. muzzle velocity for expanding bullets.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#5]
The bigger reason to go longer would be for the better sight radius since you are using irons. Otherwise take your pick.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#6]
There is little difference between the two as far as results on game.    If you are talking the Ruger Super Blackhawks, then the larger grip frame of the 7.5 incher is more comfortable to fire.   If you are talking Redhawks, then no real difference in recoil.

With the S&W 44 magnums, the 8 and 3/8 inch is best IMHO.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Also look at state law here in Ga . the law was 6 inches minimum for a handgun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you carrying this guy as a backup or companion to a rifle? Or carrying it alone?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you carrying this guy as a backup or companion to a rifle? Or carrying it alone?
View Quote

I am looking for something as a primary in the brush (dried out bushes and tall grass) we have here in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#10]

5"-6.5" seem to balance well, carry well, and still have enough barrel for sight radius and velocity

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 8 3/8" 29 and even though I really like it and would never part with it...it is a bit bulky, I wouldn't pass up on a reasonably priced 6" if I were to see one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]
My hunting revolver. Took a big Tx ten point at 110yds two years ago.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Not clear to me if the OP has the two guns available to him or if he is just now laying down the money and picking one.

At any rate the longer sight radius is generally good but some folks with certain vision issues actually do better with a medium length .

For the deer part , hunting may be at dusk or dawn and that can become another issue with the sights.

My course would be to beg , borrow or steal both guns and try shooting both and see which length allows better use of the sights.

You get a bit more punch with the longer barrels which is generally good but the game doesn't know crap about ballistics charts . If you hit them in the right place with a 240 gr. a extra 40 or 50 fps doesn't mean squat in real life
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
8" will be the best shooter. 4" would be the minimum and the best to pack. 5-6" makes a good compromise.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#15]

I have a 7.5" Ruger SBH. That barrel length feels very good for me. I am also slightly nearsighted and have no problems.
You need to go handle some revolvers with different barrel lengths and frames to see what works best for you.

FWIW I cloverleafed 3 rounds of 300gr Black Hills ammo at 50 yards with 50+ year old near sighted eyes. The SBH iron sights are good and the trigger is great.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#16]
The ultimate set up is a S&W Stealth Hunter in a Diamond D Guides Chest holster, IMO!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top