Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a late bloomer with revolvers, I was much more interested in the autos when I started.

I have since  looked into the revolvers. First with single actions. With a Blackhawk 357, then a super Blackhawk hunter in 44, a single six. Mixed  in there was the kit gun (22). A python, a model 19 6 inch, a smith k22 and just recently an old but nearly unfired model 28 highway patrolman in 4 inch.

I like them as Cast Bullet shooting guns. Loads of fun. If I could only have one it would be something 5 inch, or maybe 4 inch but definitely a 357.   I have an eye on the new model 66 which is reinforced where the where too thin and also at the 686 SSR as it is with no MIM parts and meant for a high round count.

I got rid of all the Ruger single actions. I decided I much preferred the swing out cylinders.  I hate emptying empties from the loading gate doubly so with 22's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya, the thread morphed from best over all, to most flexible and best for myself. Sorry, I have always been a semi auto guy, but i'm wanting for what they cant really give me.
View Quote

There really is no single best. A revolver that can shoot different calibers, one softer and one a cannon caliber, is better than limitations of only being capable of a single caliber. It extends to low power calibers too such as the Ruger Single Six that can shoot 22LR and 22mag.
You will get the most out of whatever your choice is by handloading but be aware there are minimum limits to loads just as there are max limits. You can eliminate a lot of recoil simply by loading lighter bullets. Handloading makes any caliber more flexible.

What exactly are you planning on doing with your choice? A revolver suitable for medium to large game may make a poor choice for plinking. A .454/45LC is one of the most versatile caliber choices and is very good for hunting and plinking since the 45LC can be loaded soft enough for Cowboy Action matches.
You also need to decide if you want a double action ir single action. I and many others really like single action revolvers but just as many love double action. It's just personal preference and only you can decide what suits you best. We can help guide you but you also should go hsndle as many different revolvers as you can. Some just won't fit your hand. It broke my heart when I handled a friend's 1st Generation Colt SAA snd the grip was too small for my hands. That is just wrong.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, here's the thing, I don't have a purpose for it LOL. I just want one, and I want it to be capable of target & hunting to just showing off a crazy powerful revolver that can rival several rifles. I will have to hold one before I give the .454 or .460 any further consideration they may feel to large, bulk and heavy. In which case I guess i'd be back to .357, .44mag or .45LC in a Ruger so I could go from cast gallery loads to Ruger only loads.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:38:31 AM EDT
[#4]
The thing is, once you get one you will be on the lookout for the next, and the next, and then the next (wash, rinse, repeat).

I'd start with a .357, which can shoot both .357 and .38 Or depending on what you find and your budget a nice .38 like an old K frame S&W Model 10 or M10 variant is a wonderful start. Then go big and get a 44 Mag or larger. You'll have more options in 44 Mag versus the bigger boys as far as guns and ammo go (cheaper for both too). Then you'll need a nice .22LR revolver for plinking.

I prefer S&W (prelock), Ruger, and Colt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The S&W M69 44 Magnum is a good all around revolver if you handload.    

For the range, there is a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10.5 inch barrel.   Had one years ago and it was very accurate.  

In 357 Magnum the new M66-8 is just the right size for that cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The S&W M69 44 Magnum is a good all around revolver if you handload.    

For the range, there is a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10.5 inch barrel.   Had one years ago and it was very accurate.  

In 357 Magnum the new M66-8 is just the right size for that cartridge.
View Quote

You don't need a barrel that long. My SBH has a 7.5" barrel. I cloverleafed 3 rounds at 50 yards shooting Black Hills 300gr JHP ammo. It is a stout load.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
all things considered - .357..
View Quote

357 is the caliber it was designed to mimic 45 colt loads.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wasn't. Elmer Keith had been hot loading .38 specials and they decided to make the hotter load a factory offering. The only reason the .357mag case is longer is so nobody could accidentally load the ammo in a .38 revolver.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
My 2 cents.... .45LC, I reload so it's a no brainer and why I only buy Single Actions in that caliber.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Best overall utility and versatility will be a .357.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I didn't think to mention that I already reload .45ACP and .223Rem. BTW is the .41Mag in the middle far as a power comparison on the .357mag and .44mag? How about recoil as well?

I do like S&W triggers, and they tend to look better. But the Ruger revolvers seem to be built like tanks. I was considering a Red Hawk.
View Quote

I think .41 is at least as expensive ammo wise as .44.

The S&W .45 ACP revolvers make good fighting wheelguns.

I'd go with a .357 first, then get a .44 later.

Is this more for carry or range toy? For range use a S&W 28 or 27 is hard to beat, for carry a lighter (and perhaps stainless) like a 66 or 686 would be better.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No it wasn't. Elmer Keith had been hot loading .38 specials and they decided to make the hotter load a factory offering. The only reason the .357mag case is longer is so nobody could accidentally load the ammo in a .38 revolver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, the old .38-44 (or .38 HD) was a hot loaded .38 in the large frame S&W. In '35 S&W came out with the .357 mag. So the factory had been running hot loads.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing to consider is single action vs double action.

I like to practice both ways, single and double, I think shooting double action makes you a better shot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#14]
If I only owned one revolver, it would be a mid-frame .357 Magnum.  For example, a S&W 686.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Unless your main goal is big power for hunting ( and then pick 44mag ) there is really no reason to get anything but 357 for a first revolver.
My suggestion is a S&W 686
You will have a great trigger , good sights ,enough weight to soften recoil even with the hotter 357 loads and it will be a true pussycat with 38sp target loads.
Cheap and easy to reload for and if you don't there are most always reasonable 38 loads around.
Reasonable priced ammo , good selection of new and used guns around , super flexible with mild to wild ammo choices
Would not pick it to hunt moose or big bears but 357 is Ok for deer and hogs
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Eh, the old .38-44 (or .38 HD) was a hot loaded .38 in the large frame S&W. In '35 S&W came out with the .357 mag. So the factory had been running hot loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny how our perceptions and comfort-zones change. The performance of that 'new & monstrous' awe-inspiring caliber in the big N-frame revolver, basically equals a modern 9mm +P load from a compact g19, which today is so often denigrated as inadequate. I think we gun-people are perhaps a bit power mad...

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#17]
.44 magnum is my choice.  Can load from mild to wild, and has a higher top end than the .357.  For those who don't reload, the .45 ACP is a great revolver round.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
357 or 45acp.

Ruger is good. S&W is best.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]

I am a big fan of .44 mag and 357. I own both. The bottom line is that you will find one to be more versatile then the other depending on your uses. 357 can fit in a pocket and conceal easily but can also be reasonable defense against black bears. It can't take on a grizzly bear with any sort of confidence however. 44 mag doesn't conceal quite as nicely but it is more suitable as a woods gun and can be trusted to take down the largest of targets. They cover different ends of the spectrum. If you are not an avid outdoorsman and you want something that can be reasonably carried on a daily basis, I would go with 357.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not really, maybe I will go .357 and later on get something more silly just for the hell of it. Price will be a factor as well, so unless I can locate say a S&W that's barely been shot and at a price I'd be crazy not to buy I may end up stuck with the Ruger, but I guess I could work on the trigger and other than looks have a heavier, stronger pistol at a lower price?
View Quote

Plenty of people (myself included) have chosen to go with ruger not to save cost but to have a more durable gun for shooting the heavy loads. Also, there is no built in lock on a ruger.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#22]
.44mag if you reload. You won't even need a .44 special case to shoot reduced power loads if you use the right powder.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#23]

As others have stated, you can also shoot 38, 38 +p.  Ammo is cheaper, in general, and still provides a good mix of range time and stopping power (between the 38 spcl and +p and 357 variety of loads).

44 is fun, at times, but I'd recommend a 357 for the reasons stated here (and by others).
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
.44mag if you reload. You won't even need a .44 special case to shoot reduced power loads if you use the right powder.
View Quote

This grabbed my attention.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would that grab your attention?

There is nothing special about .44 in that regard.

.45 Colt, .44 Mag, .357 Mag. are all the same.

Load them hot with heavy bullets and H110, or
load them soft with light bullets and Unique or HP-38, etc.

I always use only full length cases.  If the low density powder position sensitivity issue can be overcome,
the full length case loads are much more accurate, and they don't foul/erode the chambers/throats.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I always use only full length cases.  If the low density powder position sensitivity issue can be overcome,
the full length case loads are much more accurate, and they don't foul/erode the chambers/throats.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still a green horn when it comes to reloading. Been at it less than a year, and it's been .45ACP & .223Rem. I was unaware that say ".38spc" (ballistic wise) loads could be produced using full length .357mag brass. I ASSumed this would lead to a unsafe charge, or would require a filler.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Trail Boss is a good powder for full length Magnum cases if you want a light load.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Trailboss is made for and works awesome for light loads.  Look up Cowboy-Action/SASS loads they have lots of good data for light loads.

Either 357 or 44 would be a fine first revolver cartridge.  Both have lots of capability to move up and down the power scale.  I would lean towards the 357 only because there are more choices, and more affordable choices, in revolvers, ammunition, reloading components etc with 357 over 44.  But if you need or want more power then 44 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#29]
ARFCOM = "GET BOTH"

5.5" RUGER SUPERBLACKHAWK

Custom 5" 686 ( dash2)
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Overall, to cover anything from cowboy style plinking loads to something you could take to Africa, I'd choose the .45.  Both the .45 Colt and 454 are great choices, although honestly 99% of handgunners don't "need" a 454.  The Redhawk 45 Colt/.45 ACP and Blackhawk .45 Colt/ACP cover an awful lot of ground and can put out some VERY serious power.  Everyone should own a big bore revolver and I think the .45 is the most practical big bore.

My two favorites are the .41 magnum and .45 colt, and I'd recommend the .41 but if you don't handload, maybe not the best choice.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Given that this is a "just-because" gun, here's my thinking:

If you are NOT going to handload, get a .357 Magnum.  The ammunition is cheaper, and you can go with the marginally weaker but much smoother S&W action.  My personal "last gun I'd ever part with" is a S&W 27-2.  The .357 Magnum cartridge is sufficient as a hunting sidearm for most any of the lower 48, and as a personal defense weapon, it may be old, but it's still good.  Lower recoil than the big bores also means faster following shots, either for hunting or defense.  If you're not going to handload, not going to be able to tailor plinking/self-defense/hunting loads, the .357 is THE revolver choice.  Ammo's cheap(er), ammo's plentiful, and while it's not "the most POWERful revolver cartride EVAHHHHH!," nor has it been for a long time, it is more than sufficient for the average shooter's needs.  The .44 family, while quite capable in their own right, are also more expensive per shot for the non-handloader.

IF you ARE going to handload, get a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.  Even if you try the top-end .454 loads and decide you don't like them much, you can still do anything with this gun and handloads that you can with any .44 Magnum, and then some.  You can load it down to "mouse-fart" levels in .45 Colt brass, or all the way up to the top-end .454 "train-stopper" rounds.  Given the cost of factory ammo for all four of the common big-bores (.44 Spl/Mag and .45Colt/.454Casull), it only makes sense to handload for these boomer, and the .45/.454 is far more capable than the .44 Mag/Spl.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Its already been covered, but I'll throw my two cents in:

I LOVE my  Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt, but if I had to pick a first revolver it would be a .357.

Smith, Ruger, Colt.  (I have a 4" Ruger Security Six in SS, I've had that gun for 30 years and it has served me well.)

I also have a Colt Detective Special (.38) and my wife has a Smith and Wesson M10 (also a .38)

You cannot go wrong with any of the "big three" in .357, then you can get another in .45 Colt or .44 Mag as you prefer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#33]
357 mag

you can hunt derr, hogs, and varmints with it, target shoot  & ewitch to38c\spc & teacha youin to shoot on it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I hope to buy a revolver in the near future. It would be my first revolver. I am thinking a 686+ in 4 ".  Ammo price and availability look easier to deal with than 44. BBQ rig is a thought as well. I am still obsessing over my last purchase, a Colt 1911. It might be a while.

Is the 686+ available in barrel lengths other than 4"? I see a 3" mentioned in forums, but the Smith site does not show one.

I see a 686 that has 6 round capacity as opposed to 7 with the 686+. Is that the only difference? Is it a stronger cylinder? I don't see them for sale at the places that I would buy a gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#35]
There is indeed a 686+ 3" and I have a 686+ 2.5". Great revolvers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#36]
i just saw a 3" 686+ at my local gunstore

friend just got one off gunbroker
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Best overall revolver caliber, there isn't one. I have met damned few revolver calibers that I didn't like and there are a lot of good responses here but I would hate to have to choose just one. The 357 is a fine round but even a few rounds down range without hearing protection and you may very well continue to hear them the rest of your life. With hand loading the 44 special rates right up there for versatility and the 45 Colt is never a bad choice. Get both is not the right answer here. You will just have to try them all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#38]
357 mag!  Stay 4"-6"bbl, older S&W/Colt.  That was easy!????
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top