Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2015 1:22:10 PM EDT
I recently picked up a 4" 629, with the factory synthetic grips.  With .44 Special recoil isn't terrible but I'd like to find out if anyone knows of any better grip options.  The factory ones seem to concentrate the recoil into my hand in one spot and after 100 round I had enough.  The only non factory grips I've swapped in for a revolver are a set of Nill Grips - but that's on a .357, not a .44.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look for something rubber.  I am partial to Hogue rubber grips on all my N-frames.  That said none of my N-frames (10mm Auto, 357 Mag, 45 ACP) are 44 Mag or have that much recoil and the Hogue grips leave part of the back strap exposed to your hand.  I believe Pachmayr Decelerator grips would be a good option to explore.  It completely covers the back strap and is made from a soft rubber to help tame recoil.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the S&W website and order the .500 grips . Best grip on the market for comfort when shooting magnums .
And yes they will fit a N frame .
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
100 rounds of full house 44 magnums is more than most will shoot in one sitting.  The grips may be fine, you're just over doing it.  Especially with a four inch 629.  

As far as replacements. this is a  very individual thing.  Personally I hate Hogues and like Pachmyr and Uncle Mikes.  You may be different.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Miculek grips on my model 29, Brownells has them.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Alas, it was only .44 Special I was shooting - 100 rounds of .44 Mag would be impossible for me.

Appreciate the grip suggestions - and yes, having a grip that doesn't have the back exposed seems like a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I put the Pachmeyer N Frame recoil reducer grips on my S&W airlight 44 mag.  I always hated the way the Hogue grips left the backstrap exposed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put the Pachmeyer N Frame recoil reducer grips on my S&W airlight 44 mag.  I always hated the way the Hogue grips left the backstrap exposed.
View Quote

This...   Pachmeyer  Decelerators...   best choice...
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Go to the S&W website and order the .500 grips . Best grip on the market for comfort when shooting magnums .
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Send it to Mag-na-port and get the two ports one on each side of the bbl. and your recoil will be greatly reduced. Theres a reason S&W ports their performance center guns.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Send it to Mag-na-port and get the two ports one on each side of the bbl. and your recoil will be greatly reduced. Theres a reason S&W ports their performance center guns.
View Quote

Not a big fan of porting revolvers.  Makes them even louder than they already are.  Not all PC guns are ported there are several models that are not.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I decided to try this first - they were cheap enough on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I did, and they are very nice.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I put the Pachmayer diamond grips on my 3" 629.  They cover the backstrap and work great.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#14]

I love the Hogue grips on my 6" 629-1.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a ruger alaskan in 44mag it had the houge grips.  There hard to beat
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Hogue Rubber Monogrips.  I have to say the Wooden Hogue Monogrips are just as good as the rubber.  The finger groove grips are ideal for comfort and recoil reduction, regardless of material.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I put the Pachmayer diamond grips on my 3" 629.  They cover the backstrap and work great.
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/alt1/970/970681.jpg
View Quote

I have the same grips on my 3" ported Mountain Backpacker and another on my 4" 629-6. They make a difference.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Ive tried them all on my 329 PD and the above are the best,
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I have them on 2 Mountain Guns and an 8 3/8" 629. They fill the hand better and cover the backstrap.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Hogue is my favorite but any rubber brand you like will do nicely
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty happy with the factory Hogue grips on my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum but I've always wondered if there was something better.  I considered the .500 grips but there's that whole round grip vs square grip and I have no idea if they would fit.  Anyone know if the .500 grips will fit the 629 V-Comp?

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

or this style of pacmayr

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I had some Bang-inc wood grips that enabled fast shots with a 4in 29-2 I used to own. Googling "Bang-inc" led me to Jerry Miculek's site and these look exactly like the ones I had.
http://www.miculek.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes the 500s fit the N frame and the do feel great but keep in mind they are so thick at the back of the grip that it may make the trigger difficult to reach comfortably.  I do not have small hands and I took the 500 grips off because I was uncomfortable with where the trigger was on my finger with the bigger grips.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm pretty happy with the factory Hogue grips on my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum but I've always wondered if there was something better.  I considered the .500 grips but there's that whole round grip vs square grip and I have no idea if they would fit.  Anyone know if the .500 grips will fit the 629 V-Comp?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Brandiwynter/IMG_0181_zps54260412.jpg
View Quote

I have the same gun. Swaped the grip for the .500 grip. The grip + the comp makes that gun one of the most fun to shoot that I have.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/alt1/970/970681.jpg
View Quote

I put one of those on a 686+. I like them. They feel "different", but I like them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have the same gun. Swaped the grip for the .500 grip. The grip + the comp makes that gun one of the most fun to shoot that I have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Brandiwynter/IMG_0181_zps54260412.jpg

Awesome, thanks.   Post up a pic??

I'll put one on my wish list .
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Looks like the factory grip appearance wise, how much difference is there in feeling the recoil between that 500 grip and the factory Hogue?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Looks like the factory grip appearance wise, how much difference is there in feeling the recoil between that 500 grip and the factory Hogue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For me a lot. The back strap always seems to punish me pretty good on magnum revolvers. This grip covers the back strap. I also have small hands, but the grip is not to big for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

For me a lot. The back strap always seems to punish me pretty good on magnum revolvers. This grip covers the back strap. I also have small hands, but the grip is not to big for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I never understood why they left that back strap uncovered.  The factory grip is pretty good from a pain aspect up till about the 5th cylinder full and after that each shot starts to really sting.  I'm definitely going to swap my current factory grip for the 500 grip.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top