Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 5:41:50 PM EDT
is oxalic acid good for polishing stainless steel? or is it just a rust remover?

my Taurus 65 got some deep scratches, i smooth them out with 150 grit sandpaper. then i used 400 then 2000 grit sandpaper on both sides and on the cylinder.

i have some Bar Keepers Friend that i use occasionally on my stainless steel pots and pans (Tramontina, also made in Brazil). i've read that Mothers Chrome Mag polish works very well. but if i can use what i already have at home, i wont need to spend more $ and buy more stuff.

ty
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure on your acid but for Mothers, the Billet Polish works better then the Mag. I use it on my polished stainless revolvers to give them a nice deep luster. Both can be found in most parts places.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Flitz.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Either one of the two mentioned. Quit being a cheap ass and go to the "Zone. Your revolver is worth the 7 bucks. Wait you did say Taurus didn't you?  Well maybe not then. Just kidding!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a 686 with Mothers Mag. My recommendation is to get a rag and a rubber glove. Dip a finger in the polish and go to town. Wipe the finger off on the rag when it turns black. If you dip the rag instead, you get the filthy black crap everywhere and eventually run out of rag. The glove will look fine when you're done, and you can toss it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
ty all

good tip Mr Shatters
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either one of the two mentioned. Quit being a cheap ass and go to the "Zone. Your revolver is worth the 7 bucks. Wait you did say Taurus didn't you?  Well maybe not then. Just kidding!!!
View Quote

This, I'm not familiar with oxalic acid but I tend to shy away from using anything ending in "acid" to polish my guns when proper metal polish whether Mothers or Flitz is available for under $10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top