Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2015 2:13:19 PM EDT
I just picked up my first revolver, S&W 686-1, for $550. First off, how did I do on the price?
Came with all the OG paperwork, including the receipt ($325 brand new in 1987), ugly suitcase box and the pistol permit from the OG owner in NJ (now dead and widow is selling his collection).

Second, pics

Third, its missing the "M" above the serial number, so it hasn't had the recall fixed yet. Should I send it in now, before I shoot it? Or shoot it and see if it shoots .357 ok, if not, then send it in?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
What was the recall and modification for?  What did they do to the guns?

Nevermind, I found it.  Never heard of the recall before.  Now I have to go check mine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nevermind, I found it.  Never heard of the recall before.  Now I have to go check mine.
View Quote

something about firing pin too long causing .357 to jam up or something. some ppl online said to fix it only if you have problems, some others said to do it no matter what. Ill call S&w tomorrow about it either way.
Also, it's ok to dry fire right?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I think $550 is on the money.  And wouldn't send it back to S&W at all.  I'd shoot it and enjoy it.  If it is a problem child, take it to a local gunsmith you trust.

Ray
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Hammer nose bushing needs replacesing. I have the same gun bought new the primers will flow back into the frame and tie it up. Happened to mine twice before I sent it in to Smith& Wesson.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The ones we got in 1984 had this issue, at least 3 or 4 out of the eight.  The primer would blow back into the firing pin hole (firing pin nose bushing) and lock the cylinder up.

We sent only those defective guns back under warranty and got them fixed.

Mine, bought new in the fall of 1981, never had that issue.

If I had one with the problem, I'd either fix it myself, or take it to someone local.  I'd hate to have a nice old 686 get lost in the mail.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems like I need to shoot some 357 and see what happens.

For those that have experienced the issue, how many rounds before it does or does not have the problem?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Good price for a great gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought the recall was just for the no-dash models

I had one back in the 1980's and S&W fixed her up

I think 686-1 had the update, but not completely sure.

I LOVE the old 686

had a bunch of them.....4" and 6" ....never could decide what I liked better, so I ended up sending my 686-4 to Andy Horvath for a 5" conversion.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#9]
heres the recall I was referencing for the -1 models

http://firearmsid.com/recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

"SMITH & WESSON
MODEL 581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1,
586-1, 681-1, 686-1 & 686CS-1, REVOLVERS

RECALL: Reports have been received from the field where the combination of a SMITH & WESSON L-FRAME 357 MAGNUM REVOLVER and some .357 Magnum ammunition has resulted in unacceptable cylinder binding. L-frame revolvers bearing model numbers:

581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1, 586-1,
681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1

Cylinder binding can cause a failure to fire. Mishandling a revolver while freeing the cylinder can result in accidental discharge.

Cylinder binding can result from a number of causes, including characteristics of an individual revolver or the use of ammunition, which does not conform to industry pressure specifications or is particularly fast burning. Recent developments in ammunition manufacture emphasize the production of .357 Magnum ammunition with increased velocity and greater primer sensitivity.

Although there have been very few reported incidents of cylinder binding, in view of our concern for our customer's safety and the reliability of Smith & Wesson products in all circumstances, we issue the following warning:

In a situation where a failure to fire can be critical - such as law enforcement or personal protection - do not use .357 Magnum ammunition with an L-frame revolver bearing model numbers 581, 586, 681, 686 or 581-1, 586-1, 681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1 without an "M" over the model number until you have had the revolver modified.

Those who need to use their L-frame revolver under these conditions prior to modification can safely fire .38 Special caliber ammunition.

Smith & Wesson has developed a modification to improve existing L-frame revolvers. This improvement enables them to fire all .357 Magnum ammunition, without cylinder binding. Shipments of L-frame revolvers from our factory after August 21, 1987 already include this improvement.

You can check if your revolver includes this improvement by looking at the left side of the frame when the cylinder is fully open. If your revolver has been stamped either with a "2" or higher number after the basic three-digit model number or with an "M" above the model number, your revolver includes this improvement and does not need modification. If your revolver bears the model number 581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1, 586-1, 681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1 without an "M" over the model number, it does not include this improvement and your should have your revolver modified.

Smith & Wesson will modify your L-frame revolver free of charge to eliminate the possibility of cylinder binding with .357 Magnum ammunition. Law enforcement agencies wishing to arrange for modification of L-frame revolvers should call 800-458-8469 between 9 A.M. and 6 P.M. Eastern time (MA residents call 413-734-8244). Other users should send their revolvers to a Smith & Wesson Warranty Service Center, specifying "L-frame improvement program" and enclosing their name and return address.

One of the modifications to improve the L-frame revolver is the installation of a new hammer nose. This obsoletes all old L-frame hammer noses (part numbers 4702 and 7513) and all old L-frame hammer assemblies (part numbers 3366, 3378, 3380, 3382, 3391, 4722, 4723, 4726 and 4728) in field parts inventories. Superseded parts should never be fitted into a modified revolver as this may result in malfunction. It is essential for safety that you return these obsolete L-frame hammer noses and obsolete L-frame hammer assemblies for a free exchange to:

Smith & Wesson
Service Department
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01101

Do not return L-frame hammer-nose bushings from your spare parts inventory inasmuch as they are useable in J, N and K-frame revolvers, which are not included in this Product Warning.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause. Smith & Wesson's first concern is the safety of its products and the protection of its customers.

Source:

Shotgun News November 1, 1989; page ?

Guns & Ammo, December 1987; page 6
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I owned a 586-1 with no M, and even with the Federal primers (reportedly the worst for tying up the gun) I had no problems, so I never had the recall done. Shot the piss out of that thing, too.

Now I have a 4 inch 686-4, and I'm hoping to find a 6 inch again before too much longer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:31:36 AM EDT
[#11]
You did good at that price.  Gun looks in fine shape.  Call S&W to see if you need to get it worked on for any recall issues.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Love my dads 686 no dash..... Great pistol that I love shooting ! Leave it be. We have not sent it back for the recall work and have had zero problems.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You did good at that price.  Gun looks in fine shape.  Call S&W to see if you need to get it worked on for any recall issues.  Good luck.
View Quote

Thanks. I emailed and called. They're sending me a shipping label to send it back for repairs. Should be about 3 week turnaround.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a great revolver!
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

something about firing pin too long causing .357 to jam up or something. some ppl online said to fix it only if you have problems, some others said to do it no matter what. Ill call S&w tomorrow about it either way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dry fire is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:04:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Good deal, I'd have bought that in a heartbeat.

Great looking wheelgun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Good price. $650 would have been a good price so you're money ahead already.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a smoking price.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:51:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Price is fair.  $550 is right what I would expect to pay for a 6" with factory target grips.   4" goes for more of course.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the reassurance on the price. It was def an impulse buy from Facebook.  Waiting for warranty work. It arrived at s&w yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
These early 686's are really going up in value
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I feel like I'm cheating on my beloved 27-2, but my 686 has become my favorite revolver.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reassurance on the price. It was def an impulse buy from Facebook.  Waiting for warranty work. It arrived at s&w yesterday.
View Quote

Got it back today. Awaiting ammo arrival to go shooting. I thought .38sp would be cheap like 9mm. Any experiences with northern hills or LAX reloaded ammo?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Price is fair.  $550 is right what I would expect to pay for a 6" with factory target grips.   4" goes for more of course.
View Quote

But the six inch is a much better handling revolver. Perfect balance.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just the opposite, in a full underlug gun I much prefer a 4"; 6" is too nose heavy for me.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I just picked up a 686-3 with 4in barrel the other day.

It looks brand new.  Traded two pistols I never shoot anymore for it.  Can't wait to take it out and try it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top