Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2015 9:16:39 PM EDT
This was a gift from my uncle and I know nothing about it and neither did he. Hoping someone on here may have more knowledge than my Google Fu turned out.

It's an Oxogonal barrel. Says Hawes Firearms Co. Los Angeles California.
other side says 44 cal. Navy Model Made in Italy.

Any input would be helpful. Will post pics when I get home.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's something about a .36 Cal.

Looks like Hawes was the import for numerous foreign makers, seems like they imported Sauer and Rohm .22s as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Blackpowder or cartridge? Hawes has had guns in both forms, in .44BP and .44Magnum. I remember you could buy the .44magnum versions at ace hardware (even order them thru their catalogs) back in the 70's; don't know who actually made them.

{edit - should have pondered before posting. Based on octagonal barrel, I assume black powder. IIRC, those were made in italy, but not sure of that.}
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Found this on "Picollecta" which is a site I've never heard of.  Doesn't answer your question directly but has some good background info.

"Hawes Firearms Co. weapons are firearms produced by the Hawes firearms company between the 1950s and late 1960s/early 1970s.
Background and Description

The Hawes Firearm Company were a major American importer of European firearms during the 1950s and 1960s. Hawes were the first importer of JP Sauer & Sohn firearms into America. JP Sauer & Sohn are the oldest firearms manufacturer still active in Germany.

Hawes contracted with manufacturer JP Sauer & Sohn, Germany, to produce a series of single action guns in several calibers known as the Marshall series. These were mid range quality firearms made cheaply in Germany while the German market was undervalued, and sold on to Americans under an American brand.

They also contracted with Italian manufacturer Galisi to import small .25 semi automatics. They are likely to have imported guns from several other European manufacturers and sold them under the Hawes name to the American market.

Hawes revolvers did not have a hammer block, and therefore often fired unintentionally if the chamber beneath the hammer was loaded and the hammer suffered an impact. They were sued for this lack of a safety feature many times, and stopped importing firearms into America as a result.
Collecting Hawes Firearms Co. weapons

These guns are quite rare and hard to find. They will mostly be available through second hand stores and trading forums. They are not antiques and therefore not as valuable or sought after as some firearms.

The Marshall series came in several designs, such as the Western, the Texas, Montana, Silver City, among others. This was sparked by a popularity of cowboy style guns following a spate of spaghetti western movies. Hawes guns were in fact used in many of the 1950s-70s cowboy western movies, as they were cheaper to acquire than Colts.

They are nickel plated.
Value

Around $50-$300 dollars depending on condition"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top