Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2015 2:56:40 PM EDT
Well my Brand new 986 came in the mail today. I was very excited. The gun looked mint, until I looked at the crane of the revolver. There was a couple gouges and a hair line crack.

Now I am going to run this gun hard, should I be worried about the crack and return it or just keep it and shoot it. This is not going to be a safe queen.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like it may have had some plug strikes
and they will smack them with a lead babbit and large lead hammer
This is what the factory will do to move the cylinders inline with the barrel
send those pick to factory and see if they say to send it in
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Dear Lord... that Smith looks horrible. Even the electric penciling is
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Just looks like machine marks that didn't get fully removed in finish.  Definitely not cracks IMHO.  I wouldn't worry about it as long as the gun is running good.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just looks like machine marks that didn't get fully removed in finish.  Definitely not cracks IMHO.  I wouldn't worry about it as long as the gun is running good.
View Quote

What this guy said.  Those ain't cracks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure looks like Taurus craftsmanship...
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I'm not taking that as a brand new gun. Screw that. I can't fuck it up on my own.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Your guys do realize those marks are on surfaces that  are not visible when the cylinder is closed, right?  Take the slide off your favorite semi-auto and show me the bottom with no machining marks.  Yes S&W quality has fallen from its high but IMHO I don't see this as that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The pic looks like machine marks in a concealed area.  Meh.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:45:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks fine to me.  Go and shoot it.  Have fun with it.  BTW, pretty good macro photos
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:10:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Par for the course I guess. Not acceptable to me, but I Agree not cracks. No new Smith revolvers for me, although it won't affect performance.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Again, tool marks.

Again, pretty clean.

I have S&W revolvers spanning the 1950's to present and they all show tool marks and machining marks in non essential, not normally visible areas.

The new CNC guns look cleaner in such areas than the older guns I have.

Either way it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Cracks those are not.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The marks by the 986 look like they are from the top and bottom edge of the stamp and was pressed in a little too deep and the edges hit the frame
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#15]
A bit rough but as mentioned, definitely not cracks.  I'd be letdown that S&W let that go without a little rework to clean it up considering their prices but it looks plenty ready to be run hard.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A bit rough but as mentioned, definitely not cracks.  I'd be letdown that S&W let that go without a little rework to clean it up considering their prices but it looks plenty ready to be run hard.
View Quote
Typical Smith & Wesson of today.... I cracked open my 686, 66, 642, 15, and 10 and they all were clean amd smooth. The catch is that all of my Smiths were made before this lawyer lock bullshit. Today's Smith is but a fasle idol cashing in on the name. They're nowhere near what they once were and never will be again. Even the Performance Center is a joke.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#17]
1980 and 1952.

Textured surfaces, some boogers and imperfections. Is it too late to send them back?
20150504_092415 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20140701_091822 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Those tiny marks in hidden areas mean nothing.

My three newest guns are the cleanest for such surfaces.

Either way they all work just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top