Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2015 2:07:13 PM EDT
I religiously lubricate all of my firearms to ensure function and longevity.

Just picked up my first revolver. It's a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag.

What the heck needs to be lubed on this thing?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Really just the cylinder rod, I lube the index Pawl just a little. I would advise against dumping lube into the hammer group , up into the trigger, or the ejection rod . Not needed and usually just invites trouble. Check your screws every now and again to make sure they don't work loose and don't take it apart.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I just took it to the range for the first time today and boy what a hoot. Coming from a whiz-bang tactical background, there's something really amazing about slowing down and just taking it six rounds at a time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Revolvers need a slight lube on any parts that rub.   Then a light protective coat overall.   CLP works great.  Screws on a single action revolver have a tendency to loosen up.   Keep an eye on the ejector rod housing.

The Blackhawk is a great choice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]

I lube EVERYTHING, especially the ejector spring and rod which is a place rust and crap can accumulate. I also agree with the other posters and remove the cylinder and use mil-spec grease on the cylinder pin. I spray gun oil into the trigger group and pawl mechanism. Wipe the whole firearm down and then shoot the revolver/pistol and repeat the process over again. I almost enjoy the cleaning and lubing as much as the shooting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top