Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2015 11:22:09 AM EDT
I'm looking for suggestions for a budget .357. Probably will buy used, I want it for a woods carry gun primarily so it won't get shot a ton but will see an occasional half-box or a box every 2 or 3 months. Don't want a snubbie, i'd prefer around a 4" barrel and 6 shots. No real preference on brand just as long as it works well and shoots decent enough groups (doesn't need to be a tack driver just be able to put effective shots on target.) This will be the first revolver I would own but i have shot a .357 on quite a few occasions and own a few pistols myself so i'm not super new to handguns but am far from an expert.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I would look for an older Taurus or Rossi.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends what you mean by budget. I'd get a Ruger and some would consider that budget. They are cheaper than smith and wesson and very high quality. Used gp100 with 4-6 inch barrel would be maybe 400 to 450 if you're smart about where you look. If that's too pricey I guess Taurus/Rossi would be the next step down in price.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Shop around all you local used gun retailers.  There are plenty of deals on good S&W and Ruger 357 Mag revolvers to be found if you have the time to look for the deal.

If your not set on 357 Mag there are still quite a number of used S&W Model 10/64 38 Special revolvers.  Most of these are police and security trade ins.  They are not as plentiful as they use to be but $300 guns are still out there if you look.  Most of these have lots of holster wear but little actual shooting.  Might be a good affordable option depending on your budget.  38 Special +P from a 4 inch gun will handle most things assuming its not an angry bear looking to make you a snack.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Friends don't let friends buy a Taurus or a Rossi.  

Get a used Ruger or Smith.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not a joke that's a fact

But the biggest thing is knowing how much you want to spend

Example for my Colt Trooper MKIII (a few years ago) I paid $400. not sure if you can get one now for that price. You can find some awesome rugers though for that price and less
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would go for a used Ruger GP100. They are built like tanks and will last you a lifetime. I have a buddy who has a stainless 6" one that is a great shooter......
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Save up and buy a decent revolver the first time.  Smith, Ruger, Colt.  The rest are junk.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm looking for suggestions for a budget .357. Probably will buy used, I want it for a woods carry gun primarily so it won't get shot a ton but will see an occasional half-box or a box every 2 or 3 months. Don't want a snubbie, i'd prefer around a 4" barrel and 6 shots. No real preference on brand just as long as it works well and shoots decent enough groups (doesn't need to be a tack driver just be able to put effective shots on target.) This will be the first revolver I would own but i have shot a .357 on quite a few occasions and own a few pistols myself so i'm not super new to handguns but am far from an expert.

Thanks.
View Quote

Look around for a used Ruger Blackhawk.  You can find good prices on the Blackhawks and they shoot great.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#9]
For an affordable, near indestructible .357 magnum you can't beat a Ruger.  The GP100 is the standard for tough .357 double actions and in single action the Blackhawk is equally tough as well as affordable.  You can find great prices on used models if you look around and are patient.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Security Six
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an older Taurus 66 4" stainless and it works just fine. Taurus makes decent revolvers (some) and I have a couple. Ruger gp100 is a good robust gun and can be found for a decent price.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would look for an older Taurus or Rossi.
View Quote

Probably find one for $250.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Any of the Ruger Six series. Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six are fine double action revolvers. They haven't been made for a while but can be found used. In a single action there is the Ruger Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd go with a Ruger GP100 or SP101.  Prices are righteous even for brand new.  Look for a S&W Model 686 or Model 686 Plus on the used market also.  My S&W Model 686 Plus 4" barrel is my favorite firearm to shoot.  I am accurate with it and I find the recoil comfortable even with magnum rounds.  I tweaked the action a bit and changed the rebound spring and mainspring with Wolff brand.and I also stoned the rebound slide to get the best performance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Six-Series Ruger

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Agreed.  

The six series are my favorite revolvers.

I love your speed six, I need one in stainless.  Good photography, too.

EDIT:  Guess I fail at posting pictures.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depends what you mean by budget. I'd get a Ruger and some would consider that budget. They are cheaper than smith and wesson and very high quality. Used gp100 with 4-6 inch barrel would be maybe 400 to 450 if you're smart about where you look. If that's too pricey I guess Taurus/Rossi would be the next step down in price.
View Quote

i second the ruger recommendation

a gp100 at that price is something id definitely jump on....i see them more in the $500-$600 range
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#18]

That speed six is sharp!

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I would take a S&W over a Ruger anytime...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#20]
budget? - ie what is your budget
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, I picked up a nice used 6" GP100 for $425 earlier this year. Used Ruger GP100, Six series, SP101, or a Blackhawk if you want a SA is what I'd look for. S&W 686s, M27, M28, M19, M66 etc are awesome, but will certainly cost more unless you get lucky and find a really smokin' deal. A used Taurus may work just fine and be pretty cheap, but I'd save a bit and stick to Ruger or Smith if it were me, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is truth.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a 6" Ruger Security Six and a 4" Ruger Service Six, as well as a 6" S&W Model 19 and a 2.125" Model 60.

I do like the S&Ws but the reality is that it's going to be hard to find a nice S&W in .357 on a budget.

You can get a Service/Speed/Security Six however for around $350-$400 in very good to excellent condition.   Ruger made about 1.5 million of them so they are also pretty common.

The major difference between the Service/Speed/Security Six series and the GP100 that replaced it is the use of a third cylinder lock located on the crane.   But enen with just the normal two locks the Service/Speed/Security Six series revolvers are incredibly strong.  

Some folks say the triggers on the Rugers are poor relative to a S&W, but based on my experience with my Model 19 and Model 60 as well as a Model 10 and a Victory model and my pair of Rugers, there is more difference between S&W triggers than there is difference between Ruger and S&W triggers and examples of both can be found with excellent triggers.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Get a used Smith.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.

Troll the LGS or pawnshops.  Used S&W 357's are out there.  You need to be in the right place at the right time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd like to stay around $300-350. Like I said I want something that'll get carried around more than it will get shot. I would prefer a S&W or Ruger but in my area people want $500+ for a used one . I've heard pretty good stuff about the EAA Windacator in .357, anybody have experience with it? They go for around $320 new so i'm sure I could always find a used one for around $265 or so.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd like to stay around $300-350. Like I said I want something that'll get carried around more than it will get shot. I would prefer a S&W or Ruger but in my area people want $500+ for a used one . I've heard pretty good stuff about the EAA Windacator in .357, anybody have experience with it? They go for around $320 new so i'm sure I could always find a used one for around $265 or so.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a used $250 Windacator today and in 10  years, you'll be lucky to have a $250 revolver. Buy a $500 S&W today and in 10 years you're likely to have an $800 revolver.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Save a little money and buy a used ruger as a couple people here have said. I started by putting $1 a day away, sometimes $2. It doesn't sound like much but it does add up. I just purchased a 4 inch gp100 from a customer of mine for $400. Half of that was quarters I threw into a jar and forgot about, basically making my "out of pocket" money around $200.  Including the nics check(thank you NY) and a new Hogue grip I'm in the gun for less than $450. I watched plenty of them go for $400 to $450 on gunbroker in the last 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is truth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is truth.

Pretty much.

You're talking about something that's nearly entirely machined and fitted, not some injection molded plastic thingy. I don't know of a budget version, other than maybe an old Ruger, which are fine guns, but aren't exactly cheap anymore.

Used Smith market, wholly shit! $$$
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#29]
ruger would be my 1st choice.

do own an older Taurus 66.

shoots great.

bought used for a little over $200.

clown
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#31]
agreed... you are a edge in getting into the respected will-hold-their-values / quality brands. Save the extra 50-100 and get a smith or ruger. Newly made you can't go wrong with either. Older vintage S&Ws will blow anything out of the water - pre lock / and pre metal injection.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#32]
https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/357-magnum

Made in the Czech Republic.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#33]
not a bad alternative.. but for that much..
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
not a bad alternative.. but for that much..
View Quote

Yeah, I know. They're really nice though. DA is kind of heavy, but its smooth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top