User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so would anyone care to create a list of what I'd need to do that then?
View Quote

If you are reloading for pistol, you need a progressive press.
A single stage press will suck the life out of you when loading high volume.

A new Dillon 550b with one caliber will cost about $550.
DILLON

You will have to buy caliber conversion kits (plates + powder funnels) and
dies for each additional caliber.  I would concentrate first on your highest volume
calibers.  You can determine the cost of switching calibers from the Dillon website.

After the press and dies, you will need powder + brass + bullets + primers.

I would call B.S. on previous posts regarding high volume loading for pistols/revolvers.
You will be spending several hundred dollars to get started.

That being said, I have loaded many hundreds of thousands of pistol rounds and have saved untold thousands of $.
None of the firearms I have purchased in the last 15 years have seen a single round of factory ammunition.

For all the shooting, I don't know why I'm not a better shot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I won't do it - even though I did what you are contemplating - because I do not feel worthy, seriously.

Then you have brand preferences and such. Maybe some of the experts will chime in with the specifics? Even if they left out brands, they could list it.

They probably won't though - you will be pointed to the stickies. The info is in there - but so much info is there it is hard for a newbie to sort sometimes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't do it - even though I did what you are contemplating - because I do not feel worthy, seriously.

Then you have brand preferences and such. Maybe some of the experts will chime in with the specifics? Even if they left out brands, they could list it.

They probably won't though - you will be pointed to the stickies. The info is in there - but so much info is there it is hard for a newbie to sort sometimes.

Yup, too hard to sort.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yup, too hard to sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, too hard to sort.

Check in the Reloading technical forum.  I am in the process of getting set up to reload pistol, mostly .45, .38 and .357.  I would hesitate to say you'd be completely set up at $350, but you'd be fairly close.  That said, from the standpoint of someone starting out, if your only interest in reloading is for cheap ammo then I'd recommend passing.  I'm doing it because I find the process interesting in its own right.  

Pistol powder is almost impossible to find right now, and when it's available it's usually at a premium.  When you see people talking about reloading at big cost savings, you realize you need to be able to purchase components in bulk when they are available on sale or at cheap prices.  Also be aware any primers or powder ordered online will cost about $24 extra in hazmat fees.   Doesn't matter if you buy one pound of powder or 50 lbs of powder and 10,000 primers, you still pay the same hazmat.  

I'm not trying to be discouraging, just wanted to point out some of the realities I've come across as I've been picking up equipment and components.  Pick up a copy of ABC's of Reloading and give it a read.  It will give you a good idea of what you need.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Check in the Reloading technical forum.  I am in the process of getting set up to reload pistol, mostly .45, .38 and .357.  I would hesitate to say you'd be completely set up at $350, but you'd be fairly close.  That said, from the standpoint of someone starting out, if your only interest in reloading is for cheap ammo then I'd recommend passing.  I'm doing it because I find the process interesting in its own right.  

Pistol powder is almost impossible to find right now, and when it's available it's usually at a premium.  When you see people talking about reloading at big cost savings, you realize you need to be able to purchase components in bulk when they are available on sale or at cheap prices.  Also be aware any primers or powder ordered online will cost about $24 extra in hazmat fees.   Doesn't matter if you buy one pound of powder or 50 lbs of powder and 10,000 primers, you still pay the same hazmat.  

I'm not trying to be discouraging, just wanted to point out some of the realities I've come across as I've been picking up equipment and components.  Pick up a copy of ABC's of Reloading and give it a read.  It will give you a good idea of what you need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, too hard to sort.

+1 on reading the reloading forum.

Don't post a thread right away, I have read enough of them to tell you what you are going to hear.

1 - read the stickies. The info is definitely in there, but it might seem like too much to digest at first. Watch a couple youtube videos to help you along and to see things in action.

2 - buy the ABCs of reloading. It's a very good book that will help you learn what you are doing.

3 - buy a reloading manual and read the front section. They also have a how-to guide in the front. Lyman and Hornady are highly recommended. I like Nosler myself, but they aren't much on pistol ammo.

If you are serious about it (and I highly recommend reloading. It saves money and you can get more accurate ammo from all of your guns at the same time.) Buy a single stage or turret press with all of the trimmings and get to it. Once you get going and run into problems check out the reloading forum again. Go back a few pages. There are many threads on the same problems.

In fact, if you go back through the threads I'm sure you will find a few threads wondering the same thing you are.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
A patch soaked in turpentine works wonders.  I don't know why it works, but the lead just sticks to it.  I had an old school cast bullet guy tell me this, and I didn't believe it until I tried it.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if mentioned yet but another key here is most factory lead loads use a swaged bullet much softer than a typical cast bullet. I shoot at ranges that will only allow plain lead unjacketed bullets. I have shot hundreds of thousands of lead bullet
Loads and the only time I had leading issues ( to even include shooting lead out of glocks) is with factory swaged lead bullets
Cast ( standard off the shelf ) has never been an issue in dozens of pistols.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

so if I had $350 cash to spend on a reloading setup looking to do 9mm/.45/ and .38spl, could I get enough stuff to do it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well....if you plan on selling all your guns, buying sandals and a volkswagon hippie van,  and supporting hillary, then you might have a point

If you think you'll spend the rest of your life shooting and being interested in guns and accurate ammo, then you may want to look into it.  

totally uncalled for...F Hillary

so how much is 50 rds of 38spl 45acp and 9mm Luger reloading for these days if you were to order supplies at today's prices?

The super duper Dillon setup is nice.  If you have the huge interest and the scratch.  For mere mortals, just get a used Rockchucker type single stage O-frame press on Ebay, some dies, and reload your brass for a much smaller investment.  You gots to crawl before you run anyhow.

so if I had $350 cash to spend on a reloading setup looking to do 9mm/.45/ and .38spl, could I get enough stuff to do it?

Yes, for sure.  IF you haven't reloaded before, get it down and figgered out on a simple O-frame press FIRST.  If you haven't had any pilot training, you don't want to be handed a late model fighter plane to solo in.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I agree with what has been said about bullet diameter vs throat & barrel groove diameter.

Also, before you shoot lead again, you may want to completely clean all copper out of you barrel.

The lead will stick to any copper in your bore.

View Quote

Ding Ding Ding -- we have a winner. I have found this to be very true . Lead bullets will slide on steel but will drag and rip themselves up
on the slightest trace of copper fouling .

Other possible causes--
Poor match of bullet to bore size (as mentioned by others)
Some bores are a bit rough-I believe this encourages copper fouling (see above)

When cleaning with the choir boy you are mechanically scraping the lead out , the last thing you want to do is lube it up with solvent , go at it dry

I have had a gun or two that just didn't like lead bullets , I always blamed it on a rough bore . Most any other gun if cleaned very well first would work pretty good with lead
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top