Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
My Smith & Wesson 629's

Counter-Clockwise from top left
629-5 Classic 8 3/8 inch with 2x Leupold
629-3 Classic 6 1/2 inch
629-4 Classic 5 inch
629-6 Carry Comp 3 inch (Performance Center)
629-5 Mountain Backpacker 3 inch
629-5 Mountain Gun 4 inch
629-2 Mountain Revolver 4 inch

The Carry Comp is the only one with a lock, and it's been disabled.

And my favorite, with carry rig.  The 629-2 Mountain Revolver.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Smith & Wesson 629's

http://i.imgur.com/FtrEq1P.jpg

629-3 Classic 6 1/2 inch
629-4 Classic 5 inch

http://i.imgur.com/YQh4z.jpg
View Quote

That is a very nice collection.  I feel humbled with just my 29-2 4 inch and 629-3 Classic 6 1/2 inch .44's.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My Smith & Wesson 629's

http://i.imgur.com/FtrEq1P.jpg

629-3 Classic 6 1/2 inch
629-4 Classic 5 inch

http://i.imgur.com/YQh4z.jpg
View Quote

I'm curious, other than finish what's the difference between the Mountain Gun and the Mountain Revolver?? Very nice collection.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The Mountain Revolver came out first, I'd have to look up the numbers but I think it was made in very limited numbers. A few years later they decided to make some more, but this time called them the Mountain Gun. There have been Mountain Guns in .45 Colt and .357 Magnum, maybe .41 Mag but I've never seen one.

The difference in my two is that the MR is a -2, and the MG is a -5.  The later gun has a frame mounted firing pin and has the endurance package. It also has laser marking versus roll marks.

My particular 629-2 Mountain Revolver is exceptionally accurate. I shoot it 99% with mid range cast bullet loads. The 250 grain Keith bullet at 1000 fps is my favorite load, and kills hogs dead.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't need to carry any of my 44's daily to know what the 329 is made for. Its a lightweight, carry piece for the person who doesn't want the weight of a steel gun but want a 44 magnum. It's for the person who isn't going to put steady diets of factory full power or even handloaded full power loads. It's for the person who has no interest in taking the cartridge to its full potential.

Typically when I carry one of mine, either my custom 4" Redhawk or my 7.5" Freedom Arms, it's because I'm hunting or hiking in the mountains and with good holsters they are no issue even for a long 14 hour day up and down the mountains.

I am curious, what loads are your daily carry and your practice loads? Factory or handloads? Full power or lighter loads?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pssssh, who needs a full blown 29/629 when you can have an Airlite 329

http://i.imgur.com/wkNSWKLh.jpg

Anyone who wants to shoot more than a few full power loads or anyone that reloads truely full power 44 Mag loads. The 329 is a "neat" toy for backpacking/camping but that's about it.

Might wanta look up a couple posts:  I OC my 329 daily, everywhere I go.  It's nothing like a "neat" toy, it's a real working gun.

BTW: I sold a 629 6" to buy it.  Talk about a "neat" toy: a 6" 629 is it.  Way too heavy and too long to daily carry.  Useful only at the range.  What a waste.

Carry a .44 Mag each and every day and then get back to us.  

I don't need to carry any of my 44's daily to know what the 329 is made for. Its a lightweight, carry piece for the person who doesn't want the weight of a steel gun but want a 44 magnum. It's for the person who isn't going to put steady diets of factory full power or even handloaded full power loads. It's for the person who has no interest in taking the cartridge to its full potential.

Typically when I carry one of mine, either my custom 4" Redhawk or my 7.5" Freedom Arms, it's because I'm hunting or hiking in the mountains and with good holsters they are no issue even for a long 14 hour day up and down the mountains.

I am curious, what loads are your daily carry and your practice loads? Factory or handloads? Full power or lighter loads?

Exactly, it's not a toy.

For shooting, I use my handloads using all .44 Mag brass.  About 2/3 are .44 Special loads, the rest .44 Mag loads (sorry don't have the load data in front of me right now but it's all out of the .44 Mag handload book).

For carry ammo, since my primary target is *probably* going to be a human, I use Hornady .44 Special 165 grain FTX critical defense.  Roughly equivalent to the .40 S&W loads that the LEOs around here use.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]
29-2 got mine in 1977 at the hype of the Dirty Harry movies. Still have it today. Had one girl friend who always wanted me to to wear it in a shoulder holster. (Former LEO) Cop groupie.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Mountain Revolver came out first, I'd have to look up the numbers but I think it was made in very limited numbers. A few years later they decided to make some more, but this time called them the Mountain Gun. There have been Mountain Guns in .45 Colt and .357 Magnum, maybe .41 Mag but I've never seen one.

The difference in my two is that the MR is a -2, and the MG is a -5.  The later gun has a frame mounted firing pin and has the endurance package. It also has laser marking versus roll marks.

My particular 629-2 Mountain Revolver is exceptionally accurate. I shoot it 99% with mid range cast bullet loads. The 250 grain Keith bullet at 1000 fps is my favorite load, and kills hogs dead.

View Quote

Thanks for the breakdown. Very nice pair. Also, just for information,  they also made the Mountain Gun in 45 ACP.......that's the only one I have of that series.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly, it's not a toy.

For shooting, I use my handloads using all .44 Mag brass.  About 2/3 are .44 Special loads, the rest .44 Mag loads (sorry don't have the load data in front of me right now but it's all out of the .44 Mag handload book).

For carry ammo, since my primary target is *probably* going to be a human, I use Hornady .44 Special 165 grain FTX critical defense.  Roughly equivalent to the .40 S&W loads that the LEOs around here use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, it's not a toy.

You're using it for exactly what it was designed for then. They are nice revolvers but not made for full time magnum use especially when taking full use of the 44's potential. I use to carry a 696 Mountain Light, great carry gun like yours in 44 Special and wasn't too bad with hotter special rounds. Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for the breakdown. Very nice pair. Also, just for information,  they also made the Mountain Gun in 45 ACP.......that's the only one I have of that series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 45 ACP Mountain Gun would be sweet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Do it!
Just no locks

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Love my 4" 29-5.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks,
It's my favorite combo.
one more

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to own a 4" 629 long ago and recently a 6.5" 29-2.  The 29 went to my oldest son after his last deployment to Iraq and he gave me a G19 with the SF crest engraved on it (he got himself a G30 also with the SF crest)

While I'm out of the .44 Mag game (.41 mag nut), I still shoot .44 Specials out of my 3" Bulldog.  Don't forget you can shoot .44 Russian, .44 Special as these were the father and grandfather to the .44 Magnum case.

CD
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:17:21 AM EDT
[#15]
</a>" />Today my humble collection grew.  I picked up a Smith 29-2 in 95%+ condition.  Has a 6 inch barrel, original grips.  I am quite pleased with it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I had this one for several years.

It's the only gun I could get all shots touching at 25 yards standing unsupported. The full lug 7.5" barrel certainly helps. With just a couple Wolff springs it had a 9lb double action and 2-1/4lb single. With the red dot it was nearly rifle accurate at 100 yards.

Despite the hearsay they will handle long term magnum use. It will not handle long term maximum or heavy load use.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:29:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Find a 629-4, all the updated and traditional features a guy wants (endurance package, but with no lock, forged trigger and forged hammer mounted firing pin), and none that you don't (MIM trigger and MIM hammer, frame mounted firing pin with the -5 and both with the lock in the -6).

Rising in price all the time but still a screaming deal for what you get.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I stumbled on a LNIB 629-4 4 inch a 3 years ago with box and papers.  Don't shoot it much but am going to keep it.

Patrick
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are beautiful model 29's, then there is mine which has an inner beauty from being carried in the woods for a good number of years.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/DSC00142.jpg  
View Quote

I am a big fan of beautifully blued revolvers....but there is something very special about this one!  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:14:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I stumbled on a LNIB 629-4 4 inch a 3 years ago with box and papers.  Don't shoot it much but am going to keep it.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/patsue90/629-4.jpg

Patrick
View Quote

If I find a 4", I'll snag it in a heartbeat. It would go well with my 6".

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top