Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2015 7:07:10 AM EDT
I watched the Brownells vid on youtube seeing he made a "fence" and poured in some acrylic with dye in it.  Can I do the same with G-Flex epoxy with food coloring in it?  Or should I melt in some plastic or what?  JB weld and then paint with nail polish?  What have you done?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells sells sheets of hard plastic to cut inserts from , you fit it to the existing slot.
If you happen to have any old colorful plastic ammo boxes you can make an insert from them.

You can also "pour" and insert / mold it to your cut out.
I prefer to cut and fit one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
alrighty, I will try cutting one out of plastic and shaping it with files to fit in there, I assume you epoxy it in place?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Fit it tight.
It will not move or come out.
You can make a small void on the back side and use a dab of epoxy if you want to.

If you have a sharp exacto knife and a MTM ammo box you can cut one out pretty darn close with a little practice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I pulled the red insert from my S&W model 19 because I was having trouble focusing on it and I prefer plain, black sights.

I did the "fence method" with Brownells Acra-Glass Gel colored with powdered graphite to make it black.

A little file and crocus-cloth work finished it off.

Turned out nice. that was years ago and it's still hanging in there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
made one tonite out of a piece of yellow plastic from an old table saw I had once.  Turned out great IMHO.  Finish sanded it once in place with some 600 grit.  Nice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
When you get bored you can change the color......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top