Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2015 4:39:15 PM EDT
Folks,
My one and only Python (4"; SN is a 1978 mfg date) came from a pawn shop almost 15 years ago.
It was filthy - caked in carbon build-up, hardened grease and rust(!) on the right side of the barrel under lug.
It looked like the previous owner stored it in the trunk of his car.
It was also missing the front sight blade and had terrible "custom" grips,.
*but* it had perfect lock-up with absolutely no cylinder movement.

Cleaned-up, new blade and laminated Colt grips later, it is a 6-shot, one-ragged-hole performer with .38 Spl wad cutters at 15 yds. It will never be a show piece and has some wear, but is a great gun.
The rust left a little pitting in the mirror finish once the grime was gone, *but* I've never seen another Python with a messed-up roll mark like this one...

WTH was the inspector thinking?
Anyone see anything like this on a Trooper, PP, or other Colt (let alone a Python)?

If so, please chime in (and no, its not for sale)
Cheers, Otto

5/11/2015 Eidted to add:
Thanks for the responses.
I think it is unique also and enjoy shooting it.
Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Somebody was hung over when they stamped that one
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow! Am I seeing double? Or was the guy who roll marked it seeing double?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
These "double" marks are not at all common, but do show up every now and then.
When you make hundreds of thousands of something, mistakes get made.

"Stampings" are actually applied with a high pressure roll marking die that's rolled across the surface.
Once in a while the part may slip in the jig and you get a more or less obvious double impression.

In most cases this will lower the value of the gun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats.  Very unique.  I really like it.  It shoots and it's got character.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
hard to believe that passed the quality control at Colt, or the original dealer did not return it.  

Your project turned out nice, enjoy it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top