Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 6:49:35 PM EDT
Buddy has his m&p core w/rmr up for sale, guy offered a python for it.  Wanting to get a rough idea of what it's worth
Guy said it's from the 70's, 6" barrel.  Something about his dad competing with it so it has the different sights and some trigger work. It's a .357
Thanks in advance

Pics we got so far but I asked for more

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming good bore, no pitting and perfect mechanical condition, it would range between $700 and $1000 via online auction.  Even with the wear to the blueing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
$800-850 for trade purposes, as far as the bluing wear, holster wear on the muzzle, nothing that a trip back to Colt can't fix.

Colt might even have the original rear sight for it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
ok thanks

In Cali he can get $1100+ for the core so was wanting something close to that as far as trade.  I've always liked them so i'd probably do it and have it blued to keep, but he's looking to resell it
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd check lockup very carefully considering it was used in competition. [I'd check over a S&W used in competition also.]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If your buddy decided to do the trade make sure he follows this advice first.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=28&t=58116
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
One in worse condtion sold recently for $1,632. The one here is missing the original grips and the original rear sight, deduct $250 to 350 for replacing that. The condition of the screws let me wonder about the quality of the trigger job but then, that is me. I have never found the eyerelief to work on a "ghostring" sight for a handgun, too. You can probably get $20 for the Ace trigger shoe.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=469415409
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One in worse condtion sold recently for $1,632. The one here is missing the original grips and the original rear sight, deduct $250 to 350 for replacing that. The condition of the screws let me wonder about the quality of the trigger job but then, that is me. I have never found the eyerelief to work on a "ghostring" sight for a handgun, too. You can probably get $20 for the Ace trigger shoe.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=469415409
View Quote

Also consider it was used as a "Competition gun" and has probably been shot to shit.

Pythons were so smooth because there was so much polishing and fitting they came from the factory almost worn out. I'd place money its way out of time
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I may have a factory sight in my junk drawers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I may be late to the party, but I just wanted to second several of the comments here, remember it's been shot in competition, which probably means it needs a rebuild to ensure the timing is good.  Just by looking at it my guess would be around $700-$800.

If he shot it in competition, he should have a bunch of speedloaders and pouches he can throw in with the trade if you are still interested.  

I bought a S&W 25 in 45acp that had been used in competition, gun looked good in the pics, shoots okay, but definitely needs to eventually go back to S&W for a rebuild before I do a lot of shooting with it, so be careful.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for all the replies

Friend is going to pass on the trade, doesn't know much about them...didn't want to mess with it really
If it was original and not used as heavily he probably would of done it
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]
700-850 that is not a 1000 pistol. that's a sweet shooter
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#13]
People around here vary crazy on these things, I have seen them as cheap as maybe 1100 all the way up to 1600 or so.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I have to agree, that one is not in the best of condition and may need an overhaul.  Some parts are starting to not be available on these too from the factory.   I'm sure the secondary market will have the parts for a while though.  

In that condition I wouldn't pay over 800 for either and I think that's generous.  I would send it to Colt for an inspection overhaul and reblue.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People around here vary crazy on these things, I have seen them as cheap as maybe 1100 all the way up to 1600 or so.
View Quote

I've picked up a couple of them in the past couple of years right around a grand. Once you get into the shorter barrels and ''unfired in original box'' one's, the prices rise fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top