Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 2:30:49 PM EDT
So I think I want a revolver. Already have several of the polymer frame semi-autos, 1911's, AR style rifles, shotguns, etc. but no revolvers. One in particular that has caught my eye is the S&W 627 V-comp. Not easy to find, and it looks like prices are hovering right around $1400. Is that price decent? If it holds value, what would I have to lose?
Update - The 327 R8 and TRR8 caught my eye as well. Found what I thought was a fair price on a new 327 R8. I don't like the bottom rail but I can live with it. Hope to put some rounds through it this weekend. Any suggestions other than a basic cleaning before firing?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever you go with, they're a heck of a lot of fun.  There's just something really cool about shooting a DA revolver.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you wanting to do with it?  Range toy, IDPA, hunting?  The 627 is a nice rig.  In my book not $1400 nice but I'm cheap.  Holding value?  Hard to say.  Most new guns just turn into used guns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely just a range gun. I am in no hurry, so for now I'm just keeping an eye out. At what price point should I jump on it? I would be buying it to shoot the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
S&W 686 plus

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Colt SAA or a good clone. Have some real fun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Hard to beat a 686 for all around usefulness from range to HD to carry if need be.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The S&W 686 is also my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I think I want a revolver. Already have several of the polymer frame semi-autos, 1911's, AR style rifles, shotguns, etc. but no revolvers. One in particular that has caught my eye is the S&W 627 V-comp. Not easy to find, and it looks like prices are hovering right around $1400. Is that price decent? If it holds value, what would I have to lose?
View Quote

It's well under the MSRP of $,1559, but I've noticed no one sells S&W revolvers for the MSRP, so $1400 is closer to "about right" than it is to a "deal".

The major problem is that for $1400 you could get two nice S&W revolvers.

I have a 1980 vintage 6" Model 19 (.357 Mag) in excellent condition with target hammer and trigger, box and accessories and bought it recently for $800 out the door:

I have an excellent condition 1949 vintage 4"  Military and Police in .38 Special that cost me $450 out the door (top), as well a 1976 Ruger Police Service Six in .357 Magnum (bottom) for $350:

I also bought a stainless 6" Security Six for $400.

Both the Model 19 and the 6" Security Six are tack drivers with target loads, and with Pachmyer grips are pleasant to shoot even with full power 125 gr or 158 grain .357 Magnum loads.

-----

The point here being that you could pretty much buy any three of the above revolvers and pay no more than you would for a $1400 627 V Comp after sales tax is included.   And a few years from now, the odds are that you'd get more out of the older S&Ws as they will most likely hold their value.   The only way you'd beat that is if they sell very few 627 V Comps and it ends up being a scarce revolver, but the down side of that is you'd still own a not very attractive looking revolver with an impractical and unneeded compensator that won't shoot any better than the Model 19 or Six series revolvers listed above.

-----

Ruger quality has fallen through the floor and buying one is a crap shoot.  They stand behind their lemons, but it can be a 6 month process sending it back in twice before getting it replaced the next time they do a production run.  

In that regard, I think you are a little better off with a new S&W as quality is ok, but their pre-lock revolvers from 2000 or earlier are better made and hold their value very well.   You'll hear the term "pre-lock" a lot and only part of the issue is the lock itself.  It's fairly unobtrusive and innocuous, but S&W quality started taking a nose dive around the same time, so the pre-lock revolvers are looked upon in much the same way that pre-64 winchesters are held in higher regard than the lower quality firearms that Winchester built afterwords - not quite to the same degree, but close.

That's one of the reasons I tend to focus on older Rugers (before about 1990) and pre-2000 Smith and Wesson revolvers.

If I were going to buy a new S&W revolver in .357, it would be a 4" Model 66 or a 6" Model 586 or 686.   I'm not a fan of full under lug barrels, but the 586 and 686 are not as bad as most of the rest,a nd the prices of all three of the above are in the $700 range.  I like the 4" and  6 1/2" Model 27 classic revolvers as well, but they are pushing a grand.  Still, they are a far better choice in my opinion than a 627 V Comp.  

----

In terms of "shooting the shit out of it" an N Frame S&W (the Model 27s) will stand up better, but the kings of the hill are the older Ruger Security/Service/Speed Six series, or the GP100 series that replaced them.  They are incredibly tough and you'll never wear one out even with a steady diet of .357 mag ammo.   The GP100 added a front cylinder lock, but it's just gravy on the potatoes.   I'd look for an older one in excellent condition as it will be a good buy, but again you could buy a new one as well, just be ready and willing to ship it back if it's not right and make Ruger fix it.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a prelock, especially without the MIM parts (started around '97-98 I believe). You could buy 2-3 nice prelock Smiths for $1400 depending on what you get and they will hold their value better than the 627.

Ruger makes really nice revolvers too. A used GP100 is a great value.

Whatever you decide, be forewarned they are addictive. I just got into revolvers recently and went from 0 to 5 in just a few months. 4 prelock Smiths (a 686-4+, 67-1, 60-4, and 63 no-dash) and a GP100 6".
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a prelock, especially without the MIM parts (started around '97-98 I believe). You could buy 2-3 nice prelock Smiths for $1400 depending on what you get and they will hold their value better than the 627.

Whatever you decide, be forewarned they are addictive. I just got into revolvers recently and went from 0 to 5 in just a few months. 4 prelock Smiths (a 686-4+, 67-1, 60-4, and 63 no-dash) and a GP100 6".
View Quote

This!

$499 19-3 4in Target Hammer , Trigger ( came with holster speed loader and other goodies) All i had to do was get grips (had ugly mono-hogues) Sold my Ruger SP 101 to fund this.. boy it was an upgrade.

$725 6in 27-2

Free Model 10-6 4in Bull barrel (i know.. i inherited it.. but its to damn sexy not to list)

Model 36 no dash - $365 Sellers Place holder pics - Hopefully Picking it up today: Ive doubled my smiths in less than a month.. THEY ARE ADDICTIVE!

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#11]
First, I'm a revolver guy.

Second, I love Ruger Revolvers.

Price, finish, and function, they are great. I carry a SP101 in .357 and LOVE my Super Redhawk, awesome guns to shoot. Extremely durable.

I like the Smiths, but for the price, you're just paying for them to look a little prettier. Not worth almost 50% more in price, IMO. To me guns are tools, not art.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Price, finish, and function, they are great. I carry a SP101 in .357 and LOVE my Super Redhawk, awesome guns to shoot. Extremely durable.

I like the Smiths, but for the price, you're just paying for them to look a little prettier. Not worth almost 50% more in price, IMO. To me guns are tools, not art.

JMHO.
View Quote

The sp101 costs me nearly exactly as much as much as my 19-3. The model 27 is the Cadillac of all S&Ws.. and it was priced about 100 more than a new GP100. IMO thats not a huge price jump.

We are not comparing pricing of Uberti to Colt SAAs here. You can usually get a vintage Forged, Case Hardened , High polished blue S&W for JUST a few more $$ than a new casted CNCed ruger. Hell sometimes even LESS.

If you like Rugers thats perfectly fine.. but i don't care for the paper thin reason (they Costs more because they are a little prettier).
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

JMHO.
View Quote

You are comparing apples and orange for one. Ruger`s and Smiths are not made the same way and inherently a Ruger will cost less to make due to investment casting. On a Smith you are paying for that forged receiver which costs more.

Also, I appreciate style and function. If not, why don`t you get a cheaper Taurus or a Rossi?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Also, I appreciate style and function. If not, why don`t you get a cheaper Taurus or a Rossi?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMHO.

This!

Also this isn't 1900 and we are not dealing with revolvers being created out of a back shed by Bill and TED..

Ruger and S&w, Tarus, Rossi are all durable - no one wants to get sued.

Lets not start this argument again..

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Just go buy one. I picked up my pristine 27-2 8 3/8 a year ago for under $800, it's my all time fav.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#16]
LOL, you guys are cute....

Rugers are made just as well as Smiths.

Rossi and Taurus....you know better than that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To me guns are tools, not art.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
To me guns are tools, not art.

Quoted:

Rossi and Taurus....you know better than that.

Yep, exactly, Thanks for making my point.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOL, you guys are cute....

Rugers are made just as well as Smiths.

Rossi and Taurus….you know better than that.
View Quote

In agree.  Ruger used investment cast frames to reduce the costs involved in the final machining processes, and he used larger fire control parts to ensure durability. The end result was a very strong and durable pistol for less money than a comparable S&W.

If there was an area where the Ruger came up short it was in the smoothness of the trigger pull as Ruger used less hand fitting than the S&Ws.

But for what it's worth, that does not meet much as my Security Six and Police Service Six triggers are just as good as the trigger on my S&W Model 19, and all three have better triggers than my 1949 vintage pre-Model 10.  

-----

Rossi and Taurus (which is actually Rossi/Taurus) CAN make good revolvers, but unfortunately their quality assurance processes are extremely poor to non existent, so a fair percentage of the revolvers they push out the door have issues.   Ask any shop that sells them and if they are honest they'll tell you they return more Rossi/Taurus firearms than all other brands they sell combined.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I own both Rugers and S&W and if push came to shove and I had to choose one or the other I will take the S&W.

OP the 627 V-comp is nice.  I have a 627 PC (5 inch slab side barrel).  The 627 (327, & 929) are the new hotness in USPSA Revolver division due to a rule change that allows the 8-shot revolvers to play.  They are dominating the division.  Remember is a N-frame so it a big revolver.  That said 8-rounds of 357 Mag is nice for a woods gun and you can always come try out USPSA Revolver.  Nothing more fun than betting the bottom feeders with the round gun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had/have Colt, S&W and Ruger and have shot Taurus and Rossi (when they weren't the same).  

I'd be glad to own any of the first 3, not so much the Taurus and Rossi.  The older Rossi's could be so soft they wouldn't hold timing worth shit.  My buddy'ts .357 ate the timing indexes in short order.  Sent them off to Teddy Jacobson who did an action job on them with the warning that they won't hold up.  They didn't.

I just like the S&W trigger over the Python, just the way in which they stage up.  

A model 19 or 66 is the cat's meow.  I am tempted to pick up the new 66 or a 686 SST.  The 686 is a 6 cylinder target game gun.  NO mim IIRC.  It's sexy in a modern may but not as sexy as the original half lugs in my book.  I am another that likes the half lugs better than the full lugs.  It's a balance thing to me, and they look better too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a few S&W most of the PC line in 44 a few Rugers and a Taurus Raging Bull... I like the 44 alot but I have a 686+ 3" and my all time favorite is a S&W TRR8 I think its the perfect 357 magnum ever....I looked at the 627 Vcomp I have a 629 Vcomp but I liked the TRR8 more.....just a side note but the Raging Bull was the first revolver I ever bought it has been flawless for along time now....its not a S&W trigger but its not bad....I know S&W has awesome customer service I have had to use it for several of my bnib PC guns, which is frustrating but they were great to deal with..... I keep buying Smiths..I say a TRR8 is what you want
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This!

$499 19-3 4in Target Hammer , Trigger ( came with holster speed loader and other goodies) All i had to do was get grips (had ugly mono-hogues) Sold my Ruger SP 101 to fund this.. boy it was an upgrade.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5563/14979906406_80d9686b8d_b.jpg

$725 6in 27-2

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7319/16411424542_a686fe85f7_b.jpg

Free Model 10-6 4in Bull barrel (i know.. i inherited it.. but its to damn sexy not to list)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3871/14816185649_0168f0ac4d_b.jpg

Model 36 no dash - $365 Sellers Place holder pics - Hopefully Picking it up today: Ive doubled my smiths in less than a month.. THEY ARE ADDICTIVE!

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/467914000/467914097/pix819837591.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5563/14979906406_80d9686b8d_b.jpg

$725 6in 27-2

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7319/16411424542_a686fe85f7_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3871/14816185649_0168f0ac4d_b.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/467914000/467914097/pix819837591.jpg

Damn, some sexy kit you got going on there Spax.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Careful OP, they tend to want to go home with you on a love at first sight basis.

This little fellow followed me home from the LGS the other day.  I love wheel guns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a couple of the Ruger Six Series and they are fine revolvers but the Smiths are all above them in my book. The craftsmanship of the older S&W revolvers and the history. The K frame .38 has been around for over 100 years. Probably the best all around revolver frame of the 20th century.

This is a first year of production Highway Patrolman, the one that became the Model 28, N frame. It will handle anything that a Ruger will in the way of thumper .357 rounds. It will do it with a better trigger as well. I paid $550 for it a few months ago and recently put another $140 in it to get the polished hammer and trigger case hardened again as well as some other finish work. You can find good pre MIM, pre lock shooters for good prices if you keep your eyes open and jump on them when they show up.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#26]
If I owned only one revolver, it would be a stainless Smith and Wesson L frame in .357 with a 4".
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#27]
update on original post
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Any suggestions other than a basic cleaning before firing?
View Quote

Light oiling
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Where's the pics????  

Interested in seeing how she runs.  I bet you will have a lot of fun.  Speedloaders will help the fun, I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top