Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2015 6:33:19 PM EDT
I just bought two new revolvers, a Ruger Blackhawk and a Colt SAA. I know the Ruger can handle heavy loads but what about the Colt? It's a current generation and new.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just bought two new revolvers, a Ruger Blackhawk and a Colt SAA. I know the Ruger can handle heavy loads but what about the Colt? It's a current generation and new.
View Quote

I wouldn't use heavy loads in the Colt SAA.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Agree with no heavy loads in the colt. From my perspective more powder more recoil for what?
Really want to do it right? 35-40 grains of Black powder (3f or 2f) over a 255 grain bullet. The real 45 colt load
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I just want a load to hunt deer this year. Doesn't need to be max, but enough to do the job.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Regular 45 Colt loads using quality bullets coupled with you doing your part to get good hits will do just fine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
For hunting, I'd recommend the Blackhawk. Stronger action plus adjustable sights; best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll bet a ton of deer have been killed with a standard 45 Colt load.  255 gr SWC over 9 gr Unique, should be somewhere around 900 fps.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Regular 45 Colt loads using quality bullets coupled with you doing your part to get good hits will do just fine.
View Quote

Sounds good to me.

I know the Ruger can handle hotter loads and has better sights but I want the satisfaction that will come by using the Colt.

I'll remember the 9 grains of Unique, too. Thanks guys for  the suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like you will be loading on two different levels . I might suggest early on you pick something to define the loads like putting heavy loads in nickel cases only.

Somewhere in this discussion somebody will talk about running a hotter load in the Colt with no problems and perhaps that was the case for them but it isn't just about blowing up the gun , it is about knocking it out of time and being hard on it while not leaving yourself much of a safety margin.

The standard 45 Colt loads seem weak compared to the hot Blackhawk level loads but that load has taken lots of game over the years.

I recommend standard loads in the Colt
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like you will be loading on two different levels . I might suggest early on you pick something to define the loads like putting heavy loads in nickel cases only.

Somewhere in this discussion somebody will talk about running a hotter load in the Colt with no problems and perhaps that was the case for them but it isn't just about blowing up the gun , it is about knocking it out of time and being hard on it while not leaving yourself much of a safety margin.

The standard 45 Colt loads seem weak compared to the hot Blackhawk level loads but that load has taken lots of game over the years.

I recommend standard loads in the Colt
View Quote

Good points for me to know. These are my first single actions. I'm more familiar with the Ruger than the Colt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with the rest. Stick with standard factory loads in the Colt and use the hot stuff in the Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree, no spherical powder for the Colt.  I also think that the Ruger only needs "tier two" loads for your use.

IMO, just because the Ruger can handle thermonuclear loads, there is no reason to use them for deer.
If the load has enough power for the bullet to pass entirely through a deer from a quartering angle  the load is perfect.

A hotter load will only cause more blast and recoil, and cost more to load.
Loading a case with 30 grains of H110 is counter productive unless you need to shoot something like a cape buffalo.

Take a look at Linebaugh's pet loads at the bottom of this page.  They are reasonable and have proven sufficient to kill anything
Linebaugh

FYI, Penn Bullets has a 255 grain SWC that I really like.  It has an extra wide meplat.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I agree, no spherical powder for the Colt.  I also think that the Ruger only needs "tier two" loads for your use.

IMO, just because the Ruger can handle thermonuclear loads, there is no reason to use them for deer.
If the load has enough power for the bullet to pass entirely through a deer from a quartering angle  the load is perfect.

A hotter load will only cause more blast and recoil, and cost more to load.
Loading a case with 30 grains of H110 is counter productive unless you need to shoot something like a cape buffalo.

Take a look at Linebaugh's pet loads at the bottom of this page.  They are reasonable and have proven sufficient to kill anything
Linebaugh

FYI, Penn Bullets has a 255 grain SWC that I really like.  It has an extra wide meplat.

View Quote

Thanks eightring.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Seems most folks think where the 45 Colt is concerned if you run a 250-ish gr. bullet over 850 fps or so, you're going to wreck the revolver. Simply isn't so. The 45 Colt, with modern powders, is capable of some very impressive velocities while staying within the 14,000 psi standard.
 The most accurate bullet I've fired in my USFA, Uberti and NM Vaquero 45 Colts has been cast a copy of the RCBS 45-270 SWC mould. These bullets usually weigh in the 285 - 290 gr. range and can be run right up to 1000 fps while keeping chamber pressures in the 14,000 psi range. Here you'll find an article over this bullet along with data for your Colt and Ruger.
 But like someone else said, 9.0 grs. of Unique under a 255 gr. bullet will work for any deer.
 Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the new info and link ggibbs. I'm learning a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top