Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2015 3:58:50 AM EDT
I have been wanting a full size wheel gun since I bought my 38 SPL belly gun. Why 45 LC well easy for me I reload and cast 45 bullets also kind of a love from the old west!

So I'm looking for advice on a wheel gun one that can use hot loads if need be also I want the full 6 rounds why have 5 when you can carry  6? I'm not sure about single or double action yet like them both I also been think maybe looking at 454 or 460 just be nice to be able to use the rounds but mostly looking for it to shoot 45 LC.

So looking for advice thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been wanting a full size wheel gun since I bought my 38 SPL belly gun. Why 45 LC well easy for me I reload and cast 45 bullets also kind of a love from the old west!

So I'm looking for advice on a wheel gun one that can use hot loads if need be also I want the full 6 rounds why have 5 when you can carry  6? I'm not sure about single or double action yet like them both I also been think maybe looking at 454 or 460 just be nice to be able to use the rounds but mostly looking for it to shoot 45 LC.

So looking for advice thanks
View Quote

I like my cimmeron alot it is very tough.   my colt 1909 is amazing but not for modern loads  but i lust after a S&W 625 mountain gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
For guns that can take pretty high loads in .45 Colt, consider the Redhawk in double action and the New Model Blackhawk in single action. For industry standard loads also consider the S&W 25 and 625 in .45 Colt. Things open up a bit if you want a .454 or .460 to use with .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Since you want to be able to use hot loads - Redhawk or Blackhawks - personal preference
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#4]
"Old" model Vaquero. It can handle "Ruger only" / rifle rounds, everything from mild to wild and you can carry it loaded with all six.. 2004 or earlier, I believe .  Love mine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 Ztug
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm with you ztug.  First type Ruger Vaqueros with birdshead grips are about perfect. The current run of Redhawks with the 4" barrel are nice for a tough double action.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Here are the top 3 makers  that most recommend right now

Uberti

Great Replicas, and a true replica of the classic colt action.

Colt,

Hard to beat a look and quality of a COLT - especially a 2nd Gen, Current Gen (2000s) Though you can still find deals on the Early 3rd Gen (1970s)

Ruger

Modern take on an old design. Completely different action, modern safety. But the looks are very similar - here is my new vaquero that i had:

Also the question you have to ask your self - do you want the classic action? Or the more modern (safe) action that ruger provides. I for one like one to be as authentic as possible if you i am shooting .45 colt through a single action wheel gun. There is no right or wrong answer.. depends on the shooters preference.

I have seen an excellent price on a cimmeron but i don't know much about the brand and haven't heard too much about their offering. I would like to hear any first hand accounts of them.. i have a 4 3/4in 45lc that i am watching for a great price that is a cimmeron
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
My vote would go for the Ruger Blackhawk with a 5-1/2" barrel and the extra cylinder in .45acp.....
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a crush on this 7.5" Blackhawk Bisley.  If you're after the classic look and want to shoot the heavy loads I think Ztug nailed it.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:...I'm not sure about single or double action yet like them both...
View Quote

If it's for entertainment only, an SA is a lot of fun. If there's a possibility of it being pressed into defensive use,, a DA is hugely better.

For shooting a lot of hot loads, the redhawk or blackhawk are great guns; they'll take pretty much anything short of true insanity. I have a super redhawk .454, and honestly most of what I shoot thru it are .45 colts.

If defensive use is a factor, another one to consider might be a used Taurus 450C; a 5-shot DA .45colt that fits K-frame holsters. I have one of these and like it more than  a lot of guns I own. On using hot loads in it, it doesn't list +P use in the manual, but they made the same gun in .41 Magnum; so it's relatively stout.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Ruger Blackhawk, my pick would be a 4 5/8 inch stainless.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
how about this....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_1814/products_id/70171/Ruger+0465+Blackhawk+6RD+45LC+5.5%22

I like the Rugers, strong, and good adjustable sights

41 and 44 mags...

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like you are headed for Ruger country.  If you want to go double action, the Redhawk 4.2" with Hogue recoil absorbing grips is a great choice.  Six shot capacity, strong enough to handle the hottest loads out there, short enough barrel length to be quick hand long but long enough to get all the juice out of a hot load and the grips to make shooting it more than twice quite comfortable.  It's the exact same configuration I have on my wish list.  

For single action you have several options.  Since we're talking hot .45 Colt, it's definitely Ruger again. The "old" Vaquero and Blackhawk offer an insane number of variations so finding something you like shouldn't be a problem.  The "old" large frame Vaquero's are getting harder to find but Blackhawks are everywhere and fantastic guns.  I have a 5.5" blued Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45acp convertible and I love it.  I hope to get a 4.63" .45 Colt "old" Vaquero someday also.  As you can see I'm a huge fan of the .45 Colt myself
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I would suggest a convertible Blackhawk that will allow you to shoot .45 Colt as well as ACP. Very versatile.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you want to be able to use hot loads - Redhawk or Blackhawks - personal preference
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I would be using this wheel gun mostly on the range would not mind maybe hunting with it and it would be my go to weapon as a backwoods gun!

I have a hard time picking between the Blaxkhawk and Redhawk as I like them both and one day I will own each but for now can only buy one!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Best deal would be the Ruger Blackhawk Convertable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're interested in a 4" Redhawk let me know. I have one in the EE. I have extras for it also. Great gun but I'm consolidating calibers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For guns that can take pretty high loads in .45 Colt, consider the Redhawk in double action and the New Model Blackhawk in single action. For industry standard loads also consider the S&W 25 and 625 in .45 Colt. Things open up a bit if you want a .454 or .460 to use with .45 Colt.
View Quote

Are there "intermediate" loads intended for the 25/625?

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would suggest a convertible Blackhawk that will allow you to shoot .45 Colt as well as ACP. Very versatile.
View Quote

Great place to start
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Blackhawk or Redhawk.  Be advised 45 LC Redhawks are not very common and priced accordingly.  The Smith N frame 45 LC guns are not built for hot rodding.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you're interested in a 4" Redhawk let me know. I have one in the EE. I have extras for it also. Great gun but I'm consolidating calibers.
View Quote

Have a link would not mind seeing it
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Most are great, but I love my Ruger Redhawk!  I got the 4 inch barrel with hogue grips.  It is accurate and awesome.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe underwood ammo has a load intended for the 625.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Blackhawk............
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm with you ztug.  First type Ruger Vaqueros with birdshead grips are about perfect. The current run of Redhawks with the 4" barrel are nice for a tough double action.
View Quote

I would recommend shooting an example of a Vaquero "Birdshead" before plunking down the money. I own one in .357, and it's a handful to shoot with the small grips, I can't even imagine it in .45LC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top