Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2015 12:44:44 PM EDT
I have a S&W 442 with an internal lock that I carry almost everyday in the summer as well as year round for quick trips to the store. Has anyone known of any problems with the lock models? I am debating selling it and getting a no lock model, but if it is not a major concern I will just keep my 442 with lock. Also, I am not going to remove the lock for liability reasons. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Well over on the Smith & Wesson forum there are some folks who have had issues with the lock. Not a lot but some.

Me personally, I would want one without the lock. Or if I had one I liked with the lock, there is also a guy on the Smith forum that sells a little plug kit so you can do away with it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Forget about the lock. If it bothers you take it to a gunsmith and have them disable it. From a collector's standpoint pre lock S&W revolvers are in high demand. From a practical standpoint, the lock won't affect you in one way or the other. Shoot the gun and don't give the lock anther thought. The anti lock people are just upset about the lock more in principle than in function. It is silly but doesn't affect my ego. Go shoot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
...or you could snatch the guts of the lock out (it is not hard) and put the little plug in it and never think of it again.  Non issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how many of the relatively rare cases of S&W internal lock failure are the result of trigger work having been done?  Gunsmith goes in a polishes up the trigger parts, change some springs and the work results in a lock mechanism that is more easily jarred into the lock position.

My 442 does not have the lock.  I bough it because it was a 442 Moonclip, thus cut for moonclips and stainless steel barrel and cylinder.  Having no lock was icing on the cake in my book.  My 627 has the lock and I have put thousands of round through it in competition and never had it lock...
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The lock issue was more common with the lighter weight magnum guns. the .38's not so much. For the same reasons that I wear a seat belt...I will not own a gun with a lock. There are lots of choices available that do not have the lock.

Answer a question with a question-Why do you think LE agencies specify the non-lock current j frames?

If you have a S&W with a lock and are happy...Good for you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Has anyone known of any problems with the lock models?
View Quote

Yes, there have been several documented cases of the locks engaging during firing rendering the gun useless.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Meh . The lock ain't a deal breaker for me personally
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#8]
All things equal you should go for a no-lock model. They're more desirable, fetch a little more, and well, it doesn't have a fucking lock on it.

That said, everybody else is right. If you see a no-lock 442 at $400 and one with lock at $300 or less, go for the fucking lock model and spend the difference on ammo to practice with. Either one will serve you just fine, and I'll snag any J frame, lock or no lock, at a decent price. Plus, as everyone else mentioned, if you hate the lock "the plug" is what, $20 now? Not a big deal.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I personally had a "lock" fail and cause a S&W 329 firing factory ammo to lock up. Didn't read about it on a gun board, it happened to me. I will never own another S&W with a lock. It's to bad, other than the lock they are making some great guns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally had a "lock" fail and cause a S&W 329 firing factory ammo to lock up. Didn't read about it on a gun board, it happened to me. I will never own another S&W with a lock. It's to bad, other than the lock they are making some great guns.
View Quote

Did you have a trigger job or spring changes on the fire control of that revolver?  I ask because about half the time I see a story about a S&W internal lock failure the gun has had a trigger job done to it.  Was it stock or had work been done?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
No lock for sure, forget that crappy child lock BS.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
i quit buying S&Ws' because of the lock.

no new smiths' for me.

clown
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i quit buying S&Ws' because of the lock.

no new smiths' for me.

clown
View Quote

+1, pre-lock lover here to .
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I disabled it on my carry 340pd.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I may be in the market for one later this year. I think no-lock is the only way to go.

It would be interesting to see S&W's current sales numbers on the 442/642 lock vs. no-lock models.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing I have to add is I have a 442 no lock that is not that old and it's nice.  For me the extra piece of mind is nice.  But if I had one with  the lock, that shot well, I'd probably just do one of the neutering jobs and call it a day.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Disable it or sell it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#18]
The lock is a storage device not a safety.

I'm neutral on the matter, but on my own if it's not a pre or no lock it gets neutered and plugged.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Easy enough to remove.  I left the lock cam in place, so it looks like it has it.  Removed the sliding cam so turning the lock has nothing to engage.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Why not  just use some locktite or glue on a utility gun when the lock is in the open position?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I disabled the one on my 360 (ground off the nub) and installed a plug.  Given that the guns folks have said locked up were all lightweights I figured better safe than sorry; the 360 is one of the hardest recoiling guns I've ever shot.  My 642 is pre-lock and I like it that way.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Made that very decision today

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#23]
nice
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Forget about the lock. If it bothers you take it to a gunsmith and have them disable it. From a collector's standpoint pre lock S&W revolvers are in high demand. From a practical standpoint, the lock won't affect you in one way or the other. Shoot the gun and don't give the lock anther thought. The anti lock people are just upset about the lock more in principle than in function. It is silly but doesn't affect my ego. Go shoot.
View Quote

X2
But mine has no lock
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Did you have a trigger job or spring changes on the fire control of that revolver?  I ask because about half the time I see a story about a S&W internal lock failure the gun has had a trigger job done to it.  Was it stock or had work been done?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bone stock, factory 240gr ammo. I was really disappointed. I really liked the whole concept of that gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bone stock, factory 240gr ammo. I was really disappointed. I really liked the whole concept of that gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is disconcerting.  You can sort of dismiss incidents when someone has been inside the works monkeying around but a stock revolver that auto locks is very disturbing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Wasn't worried about the lock malfunctioning, just don't like the look of it. Searched until I found a 442 without one and that didn't have the price jacked up because it didnt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wasn't worried about the lock malfunctioning, just don't like the look of it. Searched until I found a 442 without one and that didn't have the price jacked up because it didnt.
View Quote

Really, looks are more important than function?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They function about the same.. but which would you rather have?

or

Also you can get a classic for about the same amount - so hell yea. That and no metal injection parts/cost cutting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#30]
The lock can also effect function and is just another possible failure point on the weapon. Completely uncessary and is one of the reason, along with MIM parts, that I do not own a new S&W revolver.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for all the answers, picked up a NIB M&P 340 no lock for $650 off of gunbroker. I should have it next week.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#32]
They still make 442 revolvers without the lock. The Marine Corps Exchange has S&W events once in a while.  I picked up my wife's 442 at one for $429.  Maybe it is just a Military thing as only AD and Retired can buy GUNS there.  The only S&W revolver I have with a lock is my 460 XVR.  I used to collect K frames, had about 12 at one time....now I wish I had kept more than just the one (model 66 non dash)

OP FWIW, I honestly think you over paid.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

OP FWIW, I honestly think you over paid.....
View Quote

Yea, but if he is happy i am happy. Sometimes that happens on gunbroker.. and then sometimes you find a deal. Gunbroker has been kind to me as of late.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Really I overpaid? I thought this was an unheard of price. New in the box from an FFL for $650. Everywhere else I see them for $700-850.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:48:39 AM EDT
[#35]
$650 for a NIB 340 is a fair-good deal depending on area.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, IMHO I think you were overcharged, but the market is what the market is.  Guns run less in my area and for that I am thankful, maybe I am just used to S&W MIL/LEO pricing, my wife's 442 was actually $359 (checked the receipt).  I understand the 340 is 357 and the 442 is 38spl, (I never cared for 357 in a J frame)  but still that is nearly 2x the price..  
I did not mean to be insulting or anything, it is a fine revolver and should serve you well.  If you are happy that is all that matters, Lord knows I have spent my share on guns....I spent about $500 on a pristine model 60 Chiefs Special that I gave my daughter when she turned 21 (2013).  
Please post some pictures and a range report when you get it.

Quoted:
Really I overpaid? I thought this was an unheard of price. New in the box from an FFL for $650. Everywhere else I see them for $700-850.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for all the answers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Does anyone have any holster recommendations? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes, IMHO I think you were overcharged, but the market is what the market is.  Guns run less in my area and for that I am thankful, maybe I am just used to S&W MIL/LEO pricing, my wife's 442 was actually $359 (checked the receipt).  I understand the 340 is 357 and the 442 is 38spl, (I never cared for 357 in a J frame)  but still that is nearly 2x the price..  
I did not mean to be insulting or anything, it is a fine revolver and should serve you well.  If you are happy that is all that matters, Lord knows I have spent my share on guns....I spent about $500 on a pristine model 60 Chiefs Special that I gave my daughter when she turned 21 (2013).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did not feel insulted at all. I was just wondering what you saw them sold for. I was quoting prices in my area as well as online. Thanks for your comments I will post pictures and a range report after I shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same thing happened to me but it was a 642.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They function about the same.. but which would you rather have?

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/104/c/f/beautiful_girl_by_matsuyatokagura142-d7ef8t8.jpg

or

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2182966143/aaaa.jpg

Sure, a Korth  looks a lot better than an RG revolver, but  I can't afford a Korth (or the chick in the first photo), plus I'd just cry if someone stole my Korth (or again the top chick), but nobody's wants my RG and if they do I can pick up another fast and cheap (just like the fat chick)  
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone have current contact info for the plug guy?  I have tried an old email I found on the smith forums several time, but have gotten zero response.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone have current contact info for the plug guy?  I have tried an old email I found on the smith forums several time, but have gotten zero response.
View Quote

Had the same issue, been looking for a plug.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

We waited too long.  The last I read over there was the "plug guy" had some medical issues and stopped taking orders.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Picked up a new no lock 442 this weekend, $379 OTD with a $30 mail in rebate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Another upside to the 442/642, which I'm sure most know but worth repeating, is the one piece barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top