Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 10:17:40 PM EDT
I have found a Very Nice No Rust and No Wear of any Kind COLT Trooper MKIII with a 6" Barrel which is My Prefered Barrel Length on a 357 Mag Revolver. It is Priced at 700.00 Which is Pretty Much the Going Rate in My Area. On Gunbroker They are 1000.00 Plus! I don't beleive They are ever going Down in Price.
I have in the Past Owned a Python, King Cobra, and Anaconda. I sold all of those 20 Years ago, I have Kicked Myself in the Butt Ever Since!

What can You tell Me about the MKIII Trooper? I have read somewhere where the Frame is suppose to be the same as a Python? What about the Action is it like a Python or a King Cobra or is it Different than Both? Are the Troopers as Accurate as the Python and King Cobra? Any Info or Input Before I hand the Cash Over Would be Much Appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You will love the Trooper MKIII. To start with I have owned a Trooper MKIII before in matte Nickel. Sold it years ago. I wanted another Trooper and found another Trooper Blue for $700.  I just love it!  The Trooper is the next frame larger than the Python. The Python is an I-frame and the Trooper is a J-frame.  Colt has I-frames, ie...Python and J- frames  Trooper/Lawman series.  S&W j-frames are their smallest..ie model 36. K-frames are like the model 19/66. N-frames like their model 27/28's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The MKIII guns used coil springs, and a frame mounted firing pin/transfer bar safety.  They were developed as an easier to produce, medium frame revolver.  The Python used the old-school leaf spring design that dated from way back.  It cost a bundle to produce and required alot of hand fitting.  The MKIII was Colt's attempt at reducing that cost while still producing a fine gun that they could sell to a wider market.  The Python simply cost too much for the average Joe at the time.  

The guns are very strong, but do not dry fire the MKIII.  The frame mounted firing pin will eventually break if you dry fire it, and you have to send it back to Colt to get it fixed.  The firing pin has to be pressed out and the replacement pressed back in, and it takes a special tool to do that.  IFAIK, Colt is the only one that has it because it costs so much.  Using snap-caps eliminates this problem.  So just dry fire with snap-caps.

I had a Border Patrol, which is the same gun as the Trooper, with a different roll mark on the barrel and was sold to LE.  I managed to break a trigger return spring in it, but it was broken by the gunsmith who refinished it for me.  So it wasn't a problem with the gun itself.  It was easy to replace back in the day.  I dunno about now, but I wouldn't worry about it.  Like I said, the guy refinishing it broke it taking it out.

A couple of buddies of mine had Troopers.  You can get a nice trigger on them, but not as good as you could get on the Python.

I really liked mine and it's one of the few guns that I have sold that I probably should have kept.  Colt wheel guns aren't getting any cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Not Pythons by any sense of the word but a very strong action on par with a S&W 27/28 but much handier in size. Designed to compete with S&W in the police revolver market. Plenty accurate.

$700 should be for a very very minty one with box and paperwork. $1000 is nuts.

[/img]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not Pythons by any sense of the word but a very strong action on par with a S&W 27/28 but much handier in size. Designed to compete with S&W in the police revolver market. Plenty accurate.

http://i60.tinypic.com/fut1rm.jpg[/url]
View Quote

$700 these days only gets you one in 90-95% condition.  For a 99% gun with box and paperwork you are looking at $1000+ for the MKIIIs.  Times have changed in the revolver market and the prices just keep going up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

$700 these days only gets you one in 90-95% condition.  For a 99% gun with box and paperwork you are looking at $1000+ for the MKIIIs.  Times have changed in the revolver market and the prices just keep going up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i60.tinypic.com/fut1rm.jpg[/url]

That's just crazy, I paid about 1/2 that for the one above in the last year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Once you get above 95% condition the price starts going up exponentially for each percentage point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top