Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2015 9:05:43 PM EDT
I got to go to my very first SHOT Show last week. This is among the things that I drooled over. I've always heard about them & wondered about them. I finally got to finger bang one.  

I swear, these things make my Python's action  feel like some POS Charter Arms or something. It's smooooooooooooth as a super model's bottom.    
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I especially like the top one, even though I usually like more traditional stuff  But those lines are clean.  

So... How much?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So... How much?
View Quote

I see them on GB for $5-6K. Yes, that's $5000-6000 for a revolver.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!
My problem is, I would have to shoot it. And to pay that price for it, I would have to look at it as an investment.

Dave N
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#6]
A Combat model starts in the $5000 range, expensive yes, but not untouchable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I'm not down with that.  But I suppose somebody might be.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I could buy 5 S&W revolvers including paying a top notch S&W smith to do a trigger/action job on them and still have some money left over for ammunition for the price of one of those.  I have no doubt it's superb revolver but its way up that diminishing return curve as far as price vs performance go.  I like shooting my handguns way to much to waste it on such a revolver as that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I could buy 5 S&W revolvers including paying a top notch S&W smith to do a trigger/action job on them and still have some money left over for ammunition for the price of one of those.  I have no doubt it's superb revolver but its way up that diminishing return curve as far as price vs performance go.  I like shooting my handguns way to much to waste it on such a revolver as that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Korth is like other high end products, some people see the value in them, some don't. As you said, for those who don't there is always S&W. It is much like buying 5 Chevy Camaros versus one Ferrari or Porsche Turbo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Check the prices of Dakota rifles, or if you really want to see crazy H&H.  Never mind people spending a min of $5K on a Rolex that actually keeps time less accurately than a quartz watch.  I own a Manurhin MR73, and I can tell you there's a world of difference.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
That is pretty steep for a revolver. Not sure I would every shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That is pretty steep for a revolver. Not sure I would every shoot it.
View Quote

If I bought it, I would shoot it..............  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm afraid I would also have to shoot it.
That's why I don't spend $2K on a Python.

Dave N
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Keep in mind the scarcity in the USA does affect pricing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Check the prices of Dakota rifles, or if you really want to see crazy H&H.  Never mind people spending a min of $5K on a Rolex that actually keeps time less accurately than a quartz watch.  I own a Manurhin MR73, and I can tell you there's a world of difference.
View Quote

That is my want in wheel guns right now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#16]
There are used police trade in MR73 revolvers that have recently come in if you don't mind some finish wear.  I'd get one in a heartbeat if I didn't already own one.

For whatever reason, the US Korth dealers seem to be allergic to making sales.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

There are used police trade in MR73 revolvers that have recently come in if you don't mind some finish wear.  I'd get one in a heartbeat if I didn't already own one.

View Quote
I know they're surplus guns... I have no issues with wear. I'm just broke right now.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I shoot all of my ten Korths. I mostly shoot a matched pair and subject the .357 Magnum to loads that I would not dare to shoot in my S&W M19s, nor my GP100. I prefer the Korths made in the old Ratzeburg factory. They were made to be shot, not for some lame-assed collector.

The way the grips fit on the one in the first photo will make old man Willi Korth roll over in his grave! S&W revolvers in Germany are sold with Nill grips, Korths in the U.S. are now sold with ill fitting Hogues? The financial statement of Korth GmbH looks bad but this is bad form.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are to revolvers what the Sig P210 is to autos.
View Quote

Close ... But the Old Korths are much more finely finished, even. My P210-6 and Hämmerli 212 are nice and great performers but the details...

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buys you a nice rifle and mount and a good, but not great scope
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stated with great ignorance! I have multiples of five S&W pre-lock revolvers. The difference can only be understood through experience.

Real handgunners do not buy ammo, they reload and cast their own.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm curious now.  I've never seen or handled a Manurhin revolver, but the little I read tells me I want one.
Do you have any links for used, Police trade in revolvers?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Stated with great ignorance! I have multiples of five S&W pre-lock revolvers. The difference can only be understood through experience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sorry I have offended you so severely you felt the need to insult me.    There is nothing from a functional point of view that a $5000 revolver can offer that a good S&W and a  professional trigger job cannot match, short of bragging rights that you have more money than brains.  No doubt the Korth revolvers are excellent revolvers but not five times better than a S&W.  If this was actually a better revolver in they ways that matter to a shooter (not a collector) then they would show up at the big competition used by the professionals in the shooting sports but they don't.  The 2014 Revolver Nationals was won by an old S&W revolver shot by a guy not sponsored by S&W to shoot it.  Not one of those unicorns was present at one of the largest collection of serious revolver shooters in the US.

"left over money for ammunition" might mean factory ammo or components for reloading.  My Dillon 650XL is approaching 50,000 rds through it since I got it in 2007  not to mention several other presses I have.

Sincerely
an aspiring "Real Handgunner"
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#24]
mcb,

you may consider yourself a very, very aspiring handgunner but I still consider an opinion like yours, which is not based on experience as ignorant.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
mcb,

you may consider yourself a very, very aspiring handgunner but I still consider an opinion like yours, which is not based on experience as ignorant.
View Quote

Please tell me what a Korth can do for me that my S&W's cannot.  Ignorance can be fixed, here is your opportunity.  I use my revolvers for USPSA competition, for deer hunting, and CCW.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May I just be the first to say, I think you're being a bit harsh.  On both accounts.  There may be some truth in it, but I don't know.  Comes across as pretty...  harsh.  I'll probably never know the difference between a Korth and Smith and I'm pretty sure there have been some real handgunner alive and dead that never put their hands on a Korth.  And would comprehend the difference between the two.  He did say he has no doubt it's a superb handgun.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I shoot all of my ten Korths. I mostly shoot a matched pair and subject the .357 Magnum to loads that I would not dare to shoot in my S&W M19s, nor my GP100. I prefer the Korths made in the old Ratzeburg factory. They were made to be shot, not for some lame-assed collector.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/imagejpg2_zps91978558.jpg

The way the grips fit on the one in the first photo will make old man Willi Korth roll over in his grave! S&W revolvers in Germany are sold with Nill grips, Korths in the U.S. are now sold with ill fitting Hogues? The financial statement of Korth GmbH looks bad but this is bad form.
View Quote

The classic line is still done the original way! They will come with the original grip style and screw type. The new models (non target or match) are meant to be more work horse style and will come with these grips. The new sky Marshall revolver is a good example of this! They made it more budget friendly at an msrp of $800......
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

May I just be the first to say, I think you're being a bit harsh.  On both accounts.  There may be some truth in it, but I don't know.  Comes across as pretty...  harsh.  I'll probably never know the difference between a Korth and Smith and I'm pretty sure there have been some real handgunner alive and dead that never put their hands on a Korth.  And would comprehend the difference between the two.  He did say he has no doubt it's a superb handgun.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well,

maybe you are right and I got a little too emotional. I had shot my first Korth some 30 years before I could ever afford one and the old revolvers are extremely well made and, while no "combat" guns are extremely accurate and durable. I had also shot several MR73s and they are great guns.

I think that the experience of shooting one in double action and feeling the roller bearing is neccessary to judge the old Korths.

MCB, sorry for stepping on your toes. I will keep the scolding for the anti-gunners in the future.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The classic line is still done the original way! They will come with the original grip style and screw type. The new models (non target or match) are meant to be more work horse style and will come with these grips. The new sky Marshall revolver is a good example of this! They made it more budget friendly at an msrp of $800......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The production process was completely changed in Lollar, comparable to  the Swiss SIG P210 from Neuhausen and the SIG Sauer P210 out of Eckernförde.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well,

maybe you are right and I got a little too emotional. I had shot my first Korth some 30 years before I could ever afford one and the old revolvers are extremely well made and, while no "combat" guns are extremely accurate and durable. I had also shot several MR73s and they are great guns.

I think that the experience of shooting one in double action and feeling the roller bearing is neccessary to judge the old Korths.

MCB, sorry for stepping on your toes. I will keep the scolding for the anti-gunners in the future.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well,

Apology accepted.  In turn I also offer my apologies, I didn't not mean to total dismiss the Korth, although my earlier comments probably came across that way.

From my point of view there is that diminishing returns on Price vs Performance.  ie if you jump from a Taurus to S&W you pay a modest increase in price for a roughly equal increase in performance and quality.  But the further up that performance curve you push the more you pay for smaller increases in performance.  The jump from S&W to Korth is a huge increase in price and I suspect the increase in performance is not nearly equivalent.  BUT that does not mean that Korth are not worth the price tag (something I failed to acknowledge earlier).  I think the value of a firearm like a Korth is likely not completely captured in specs like trigger pull and accuracy (no doubt they excel at those also).  There is value in the craftsmanship, fit and finish that goes beyond purely functional considerations.  From my admittedly limited knowledge of Korth I suspect a lot of their price is wrapped up in a level of craftmanship that honestly S&W has never risen to, and has lost a lot of what they once had in recent years.

{in jest}But don't forget Korth did create this abomination so how good can they be? {/in jest}

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The production process was completely changed in Lollar, comparable to  the Swiss SIG P210 from Neuhausen and the SIG Sauer P210 out of Eckernförde.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Instead of forged the main parts are all cnc machined and hand fit! That's the real difference between the old and the new company! Other then that the fitting and all is done exactly the same as the original company. A few parts where redesigned but the new parts can be fit to the old guns.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Instead of forged the main parts are all cnc machined and hand fit! That's the real difference between the old and the new company! Other then that the fitting and all is done exactly the same as the original company. A few parts where redesigned but the new parts can be fit to the old guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is hard to establish "an original" company. Korth moved within Ratzeburg to a new facility and changed ownership several times before moving to Lollar. The new CEO, Mr. Andreas Weber, is a very nice guy and is trying the get Korth out of debt. I pulled up their  financial statements and they are loosing quite a bit of money every year.

When Willi Korth had full control of the company, he competed with S&W and Colt and his prices were pretty much in line with Colt's premium revolvers. It all started later when von Bernstorff ran it.

One thing is certain, CNC production will lead to greater uniformity and less handfitting requirements. Grips on Ratzeburg Korths all need individual fitting, so do the rear sights.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:56:08 AM EDT
[#33]
MCB,

the Sky Marshall will not end up in my safe. I gave a S&W 642 to my son as a carry gun and agree on the utility value of S&W revolvers. I have a law enforcement S&W M65 that is my favorite blasting revolver, followed by a .38 Special Ruger GP100 with fixed sights.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#34]

There is more to the debt story though, Andreas is the license holder for Korth but his brother Martin is the owner. Martin is in charge of the whole thing but spends most of his time dealing with the parent company that makes farm equipment "grain cracker" and Korth was a pet project. As it stands they only have 2 smiths fitting the parts and need a company in the states to make a large cash up front order before they can do anything. They have been trying to get someone in the states to manufacture part of the new PRS pistol... As it stands they have a fairly large overhead with limited production numbers. If you look at Korth as a stand alone company financially they are deep in the hole but if you look at the parent company then you will see where the money to maintain is coming from.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm curious now.  I've never seen or handled a Manurhin revolver, but the little I read tells me I want one.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

There were a large number on Gunbroker - now I believe there's only one listed.  I own one with a custom target barrel that I picked up from Australia a while back
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't know if you are familiar with Michael Zeleny, a prominent gun collector, who has a nice website about SIG P210s, MR 73s, and Korths. It is very informative and  the best narration of the MR73 and Korth in the English language, imho.

zeleny
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There is more to the debt story though, Andreas is the license holder for Korth but his brother Martin is the owner. Martin is in charge of the whole thing but spends most of his time dealing with the parent company that makes farm equipment "grain cracker" and Korth was a pet project. As it stands they only have 2 smiths fitting the parts and need a company in the states to make a large cash up front order before they can do anything. They have been trying to get someone in the states to manufacture part of the new PRS pistol... As it stands they have a fairly large overhead with limited production numbers. If you look at Korth as a stand alone company financially they are deep in the hole but if you look at the parent company then you will see where the money to maintain is coming from.
View Quote

Martin Rotmann and Dirk Weber both are executives at PTW. I think Dirk is Andreas Weber's brother, not Martin They are cousins. Anyway, as a company Korth GmbH is listed alone, not as affiliated with PTW. PTW also manufatures precision parts for Porsche and Audi.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There were a large number on Gunbroker - now I believe there's only one listed.  I own one with a custom target barrel that I picked up from Australia a while back
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I have a police trade in 4" MR-73 I bought from Alan's Armory, it does not have much finish left on it and the is a little play in the cylinder, but the bore looks near mint and the trigger is amazing. I am damn close to ordering a new 5.25" MR-73, they are roughly half the price of a Korth.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have a police trade in 4" MR-73 I bought from Alan's Armory, it does not have much finish left on it and the is a little play in the cylinder, but the bore looks near mint and the trigger is amazing. I am damn close to ordering a new 5.25" MR-73, they are roughly half the price of a Korth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Have you never posted pics in the pic thread?  Can we get a pic of your MR-73?  And especially if you get a new one.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Have you never posted pics in the pic thread?  Can we get a pic of your MR-73?  And especially if you get a new one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I will take a pic tonight and post it later or in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Next to VP9 for size comparison:

Sorry for crappy pics, your lucky my feet aren't in there!
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#42]
It almost looks stainless, but I think it's blued.  Maybe that's from it having a good polish.  ????
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It almost looks stainless, but I think it's blued.  Maybe that's from it having a good polish.  ????
View Quote

It is blued, but, it is also HIGHLY polished under that bluing, even with all the wear there are still parts that you can see yourself it. And there are also some parts of the original blue is untouched and it is one of the best finishes I have ever seen. The straw color on the hammer and trigger is almost completely worn off. The side plate has the worst wear for some reaon, there almost no finish left on it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Where are you getting the new Manurhin from?  I wasn't aware that there was a current importer.  I wouldn't mind a 4", or the 5.25.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Where are you getting the new Manurhin from?  I wasn't aware that there was a current importer.  I wouldn't mind a 4", or the 5.25.
View Quote

The MR73 is long discontinued by Manurhin and spare parts are extremely hard to come by. Chapuis Armes in France is the only source and they have a bad rep. Chapuis Armes is also making the revolvers again but they are not as well made and desirable as the Mulhouse guns.

I had shot several MR73 Sports when I lived in Germany, since that is not an uncommon revolver there and had personally witnessed one failure, where the spring for the cylinder stop spring slipped off and the cylinder failed to stop. I also heard several reports of parts failures on higher round count Sport models.

Many competitors in Germany are shooting their .357 Magnum revolvers on a weekly basis with full Magnum loads for a specific German competition, only having a license for one gun in one calibre, unless they compete at higher levels.

Chapuis
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Through this importer:

http://www.kebcollc.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top