Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2015 7:16:58 PM EDT
I had a 642 wheel gun about 4 years ago and have missed it terribly.  My LGS had a new Smith 638-3 on the shelf marked right at $400 and I couldn't pass it up.  Got a Bianchi Remedy holster for it today as well.  Shot 30 rounds at the range today and it was spot on at 15 at some steel targets.  I have seen some mixed reports of the QC at S&W falling apart on these wheel guns.  Anything I should inspect for?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I just shot my newish 442 no lock today for the first time and really liked it.  Go snubbies!  I was shooting a bit high right, but still had a decent group going at 7 yards.  Mine was all .38 special though.  Were you shooting .357's?  I forget if the 638 is just .38 or not.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It's 38 plus p only
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 638 and a 438.

And at $400 I probably would have picked that one up too.

I've got hundreds of rounds through mine and no mechanical issues thus far.
The 438 did have to be sent back initially because the barrel was screwed in a degree or two past zero, resulting in a cockeyed sight picture.
But S&W remedied it quickly and it's been good ever since.

The only thing you may or may not want to do is pull the ILS and replace with a plug, although my understanding is that the unintentional locking really only happens with the Air-Lite 357's.
The guts are largely MIM these days, but so is pretty much everything else out there and they seem to have it well handled.
The finish on the aluminum will wear relatively easy but in no way does it impact reliability.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a 638 and a 438.

And at $400 I probably would have picked that one up too.

I've got hundreds of rounds through mine and no mechanical issues thus far.
The 438 did have to be sent back initially because the barrel was screwed in a degree or two past zero, resulting in a cockeyed sight picture.
But S&W remedied it quickly and it's been good ever since.

The only thing you may or may not want to do is pull the ILS and replace with a plug, although my understanding is that the unintentional locking really only happens with the Air-Lite 357's.
The guts are largely MIM these days, but so is pretty much everything else out there and they seem to have it well handled.
The finish on the aluminum will wear relatively easy but in no way does it impact reliability.
View Quote

This is some info I was looking for.  Thank you
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Great pick up.
I have had good luck with the 638.  I found the trigger to be good, and in single action, to be incredibly accurate. D/A was good accuracy too, for a short barreled gun.
I have the Remedy holster for a different small gun, and it is a good minimalist holster, with no more leather than necessary in it's construction.
It goes to show, you don't always have to spend a huge sum, to get a good leather holster.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have seen some mixed reports of the QC at S&W falling apart on these wheel guns. Anything I should inspect for?
View Quote

Well, if you inspect it with a microscope you may find a thin ring of shaved metal at the base of the barrel. That's the latest complaint. Most don't give a crap but all the "they don't make them like they used to" guys will demand it "made right."

My 2013 production 442 and 649 are excellent and shoot directly to their POA in my hands.

The 442 has been a favorite shooter. They shoot much better than one would expect...in fact I believe they are more accurate than 99% of shooters ability to do so.

If you are unlucky and pick the absolute dog out of, say, a sample of 100, you may not be too happy. A few are rolling out of the factory with terrible triggers. I haven't seen any other problems personally.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I've gotta work on my DA revolver shooting. And it's somewhat new for me.  But I was happy with my snubby shooting session.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top