Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2015 8:56:07 PM EDT
So Im thinking of trading my HK MR556A1 for a 2.5" Colt Python with original boxes and manual in almost brand new condition made around the 1960's.

The Python is near brand new condition and I would like to shoot it but Im afraid that it will detract the value

Im not too familiar with the Colt Python and I would like your guys advice on whether or not I should do the trade

Its either a Python or Larue Costa Edition
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So Im thinking of trading my HK MR556A1 for a 2.5" Colt Python with original boxes and manual in almost brand new condition made around the 1960's.

The Python is near brand new condition and I would like to shoot it but Im afraid that it will detract the value

Im not too familiar with the Colt Python and I would like your guys advice on whether or not I should do the trade

Its either a Python or Larue Costa Edition
View Quote

If you plan on putting it behind glass then ya.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're a novice, my advice is you might want to think about avoiding getting burned, or knowing if it's truly in the condition it should be.  There are some very specific things to know about Colt's and their timing and condition.  I've been hearing that guys are starting to not be very truthful about these things because there is so much money in them.  So.... my advice is tread carefully.

In fact if my memory serves me correctly, there is some specific things to look out for in those 2.5ers.  Like is it cut down and made into one because the real ones were more rare.  You could always call Colt with the serial number.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:34:09 AM EDT
[#3]
jeffhsu95,

whether a Python is right for you depends on your expectations. A 1960s vintage 2 1/2 " Python in excellent condition is highly collectible and a large chunk of the money spent on a Python nowadays is due to its appeal and rarity. It should have a finely handfinished action and should not suffer from occasional careful range outings.

Unless you want a gun that gets admired for being rare, there are many other options for revolvers that will serve you well at the range that will depreciate less with use, the S&W M19/66 or 686 with a 2 1/2" barrel and the Ruger Six snubs come to my mind.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a shooter, I would say no. You can find a shooter Python for a lot less, or just grab a nice 686 for 500 bucks and shoot it all you want. I will say that Im biased toward HKs and wouldn't get rid of a MR556 unless it was a hugey favorable deal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
As others have said the Python is a collectable more than a shooter. I had a couple and they are long gone and do not miss them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I still do not understand the mystique of the Python. I would rather have a S&W Registered Magnum instead.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Gor a shooter and great revolver, get a S & W 686.

If you are going to keep it as a collector piece, I suppose the Python would be a good one.

My personal opinion is a Colt Python isn't worth what they are going for these days.

Dave N
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have a hard time trading the HK for the python, I guess it depends on just how much you want one, I have seen them in the classifieds around here from time to time, usually run anywhere from $1100-1500(asking price anyways) as was mentioned before I would be more tempted by a nice 19/66 or a 27.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't have a python then you should get one, you will not regret it. I have one I shoot and a safe queen. You will not have any problems selling it in the future.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still do not understand the mystique of the Python. I would rather have a S&W Registered Magnum instead.
View Quote

So basically a MORE rare, MORE expensive revolver you would put behind glass and never shoot. Us gun owners are a crazy lot. [and yes, I'd love to find a registered magnum for sale for a decent price.]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Trading a run of the mill AR clone (albeit with an HK rollmark) for a 2.5" Python?   No brainer if the Python is legit 2.5" gun and not something cut down or refinished -- do it before the Python owner comes to his senses
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So basically a MORE rare, MORE expensive revolver you would put behind glass and never shoot. Us gun owners are a crazy lot. [and yes, I'd love to find a registered magnum for sale for a decent price.]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am more of a accumulator than a collector. In the condition I like to buy, 80-90%, I would shoot the heck out of a registered magnum. Agree though, we are definitely a crazy lot. I have a first year Higway Patrolman from late '54 that was refinished and then that finish ruined by something that freckled the heck out of the right side. Dropped it off at a local smith today to get it refinished again in closer to original bluing without polishing. Also getting the trigger and hammer color case hardened again, since they polished them during the first refinish. I doubt I will ever get my money back on the work but hey, it is going to be one heck of a nice looking shooter.

OP, the deal sounds like a win for you. If you really want it, do it. If it is not NIB but has been fired some I see no reason why you cannot shoot it as long as you take good care of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top