Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2015 9:16:38 AM EDT
Lately I've been wanting to pick up another revolver.  I really like the look of the Wiley Clapp GP100.  Benn on my radar for a while now, but honestly I don't shoot revolvers all that much.  Any negatives to this model?  What would be a good OTD price for one?  I would probably shoot a lot of .38 out of it, will it still shoot close to POA with the fixed Novak's?  Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Have one.  Like it.  Accurate, decent trigger, fiber optic sights are nice and it has the original style GP grips.  Can be found in my area for upper $600 range.  I paid $660 plus tax and considered it a good deal.  $699 seems to be the best gunshow price.  

You better move fast.  I think the stainless guns are no longer in the catalog, the blued ones still are.  They made 2,000 stainless and 2,500 blue, I think.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I really liked the blued version I handled at my LGS. I spun the wheel and bought it. The maiden voyage to the range saw 200rds of hot Federal 357B 125gr JHP's down the pipe in 45 minutes.  It was fun, not punishing at all. Less recoil than my S&W 681PC Quadport. Hands weren't sore the next day. Went back and bought the other one the shop had I was so impressed. I took one to a pistol class and ran another 500 magnum rounds through it over a weekend.  It did need a trip back to Ruger for a new hammer pivot and to have end shake and b/c gap adjusted. Ruger's QC has been a little loose but CS is out standing. I was made right in a hurry.

Running a wheelgun in a pistol class became the basis for my Revolver Relevance article in MSW.

Two videos from the class:
Reload. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHjd2fp00Lk

Slo-mo draw. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FLmEFB_UG74

In my area $699 + tax is a good price. They are well worth it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I can get one locally for $740 OTD.  About the going rate I guess.   Still on the fence though as it's not something I really "need" at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.  I can get one locally for $740 OTD.  About the going rate I guess.   Still on the fence though as it's not something I really "need" at the moment.
View Quote

Depending on your sales tax rate, yeah, that's a fair price. Lowest price I've seen was $660 plus tax, which is the one I bought.  Right at seven out the door.  Going rate at the last show was $699.  Nice revolver.  I really like mine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Great revolver. I can not find fault with it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I would love to have one - very hard to come by
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I picked mine up for $755 two years ago.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one for a very short while (bought new) but I just couldn't warm up to the "brushed" stainless finish. I'm from the old school and prefer the smooth finish stainless. So, before I crapped it up with gunpowder residue I sold it off to some lucky fellow. Other than the finish, it's a great gun. (like all GP100s) Oh, and the finish thing is just a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang fine revolver.  Would love to have one of the blue to complement my stainless.  

Hard to go wrong.  Would also say 650 plus tax is about as good as can be found.  Paid more for my stainless.  Shoots sweet, doesn't beat you up, more accurate than I am.

What's not to like.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought myself one for Christmas.  I'm not a revolver guy so I have nothing to compare it to.  I was looking for a woods gun with more power than any of the semi autos that I own.  

It has been years since I shot .357 or .38 and was expecting more in the way of recoil.  I'm impressed with the feel of the gun.  Personally, I LOVE the brushed stainless and that was one of the selling points for me.  The sights are very nice as is the trigger.  I have no complaints.

I paid $725 and I happy with that.

I haven't had time to do a lot of accuracy testing so I cannot speak to the POI shift when shooting .38.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Great firearm! I don't want to be critical, but the finish on the stainless steel model is a bead blast / satin finish, not brushed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:00:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the stainless model, I love it.  Very comfortable to shoot, accurate, the sights are very easy to use and it's a Ruger so on the rare opportunity that one breaks, you'll have great customer service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not bad, store cost on them from Banger's is $642.  I have one that will be here sometime this week.

ETA: I am not a big wheel gun fan but after seeing them and reading the other reviews I just couldnt pass on one.  They are a limited gun so they wont go down in value.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently purchased one for $684 +tax. What holster is everyone using?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

JM Custom Kydex for AIWB and Garrett Industries "Silent Thunder" for traditional OWB.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I REALLY want a stainless one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tagua Thumb break.  It was for a Smith L frame.  It fits.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Great revolver. I had one for years.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Only negative I see, it's a Ruger!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right, that is funny.

Is this GD?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:31:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I nabbed a DeSantis scabbard with thumb break off amazon for $26 (marked down from $120) the other day.

And OP, you can't go wrong with the Wiley Clapps.  I have the GP100 and SP101 stainless versions.  Still want a blued/black GP though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might want to lock that down.  This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:22:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I like mine , I picked it up cheap when it came in as a trade in at the LGS
I used to work at  . I already own a pair of 4" GP 100's one black and
one stainless . The Wiley Clapp with its 3" barrel actually feels more balanced
then the 4's do . Accuracy is on par with the 4's as far as my ability can produce .
I liked the fiber optic front sight so much I switched my 4's to them as well .

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I nabbed a DeSantis scabbard with thumb break off amazon for $26 (marked down from $120) the other day.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t552/AKNorthPolar/IMG_4968_zps57f81794.jpg

And OP, you can't go wrong with the Wiley Clapps.  I have the GP100 and SP101 stainless versions.  Still want a blued/black GP though.
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/330/5/8/a_matched_pair_by_aknorthpolar-d87pngw.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/330/5/8/a_matched_pair_by_aknorthpolar-d87pngw.jpg

How does the SP compare to the GP version?  I have the GP version, and want to add the SP to my collection.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How does the SP compare to the GP version?  I have the GP version, and want to add the SP to my collection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot lighter and has a great trigger pull after a fluff n buff and wolff spring swap.  Out of the box the trigger was heavy as hell.  If they made a fiber or tritium front sight it would be perfect IMO.

Overall, I really like it and the SP has turned into my EDC gun.  The GP is going to be my woods gun loaded with 200gr HCGC +P and the SP running ~125gr JHP for ccw.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A lot lighter and has a great trigger pull after a fluff n buff and wolff spring swap.  Out of the box the trigger was heavy as hell.  If they made a fiber or tritium front sight it would be perfect IMO.

Overall, I really like it and the SP has turned into my EDC gun.  The GP is going to be my woods gun loaded with 200gr HCGC +P and the SP running ~125gr JHP for ccw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  I guess it's time to try to track one down.  Are you using the DeSantis scabbard for both the GP and SP?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank you.  I guess it's time to try to track one down.  Are you using the DeSantis scabbard for both the GP and SP?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm using a Galco Speed paddle on the SP, but if I came across a DeSantis I wouldn't complain about switching.  They are both good holsters.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#28]
^^^^^^  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a Wiley Clapp Stainless and was very enthusiastic about it. Great set of features, perfect 3" barrel length, Ruger's reputation for ruggedness. After a few hundred rounds, the gun developed a severe problem and the cylinder would lock up completely for no visually apparent reason. Ruger did not send me a shipping label, so I had to pay $80 to ship the handgun to them via UPS. Ruger replaced the gun, but screwed me on the return, demanding that it had to go back to an FFL when the law says otherwise. I had to pay for another FFL transfer just for them to fix what never should have happened.

The replacement Wiley Clapp was a big letdown. The engraving on the barrel was slanted downwards. They filed a very rough looking flat spot on the forcing cone at 6:00. When I contacted Ruger, they told me this was a normal part of fitting the barrel. As it turned out, that was BS because tons of people have GP100s without this flat spot.

Disgusted with the whole thing, I sold off the gun. I then wrote a letter to Ruger asking for reimbursement of the shipping charges and FFL transfer fee from the replacement fiasco. Ruger did make good by sending me a check for these charges, but it was apparent to me that perhaps the whole concept of a "Nice Ruger" was a flawed one to begin with. Neither one of the Wileys I had were worth the $750 price of admission.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I bought a Wiley Clapp Stainless and was very enthusiastic about it. Great set of features, perfect 3" barrel length, Ruger's reputation for ruggedness. After a few hundred rounds, the gun developed a severe problem and the cylinder would lock up completely for no visually apparent reason. Ruger did not send me a shipping label, so I had to pay $80 to ship the handgun to them via UPS. Ruger replaced the gun, but screwed me on the return, demanding that it had to go back to an FFL when the law says otherwise. I had to pay for another FFL transfer just for them to fix what never should have happened.

The replacement Wiley Clapp was a big letdown. The engraving on the barrel was slanted downwards. They filed a very rough looking flat spot on the forcing cone at 6:00. When I contacted Ruger, they told me this was a normal part of fitting the barrel. As it turned out, that was BS because tons of people have GP100s without this flat spot.

Disgusted with the whole thing, I sold off the gun. I then wrote a letter to Ruger asking for reimbursement of the shipping charges and FFL transfer fee from the replacement fiasco. Ruger did make good by sending me a check for these charges, but it was apparent to me that perhaps the whole concept of a "Nice Ruger" was a flawed one to begin with. Neither one of the Wileys I had were worth the $750 price of admission.

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/gp100-factory-engraving.jpg

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/gp100-forcing-cone-3.jpg
View Quote

After dealing with Ruger's CS on both a personal and professional level, I have to say you were the exception not the rule.  Ruger CS has always been awesome to work with on my end.  Sorry you didn't think it was worth the money, but I am very happy with my Rugers.

My GP100 is around a thousand rounds through it at this point, all 158gr or heavier .357 loads and is chugging away without a hiccup.  Yes, it does have the flat on the forcing cone, but it isn't a point of contention for me.  Always figured it was how they tightened the barrels.  *shrug*  Even my SP101 WC has it.  Shame you got the short end of the stick.

New photo of the SP101 to show off  I'm hoping for warm weather so I can break it in more this weekend.  If it is above freezing I'll probably put a box of .38 through it.

Edit:  This is the one I had to ship back and get a new hammer on.  10 days from Alaska to Ruger and back.  Got a stoned hammer and they polished some of the other internals as well.  I finished up with a fluff n buff on my end and some Wilson Combat springs.  Trigger is fantastic for a revolver.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

...They filed a very rough looking flat spot on the forcing cone at 6:00. When I contacted Ruger, they told me this was a normal part of fitting the barrel. As it turned out, that was BS because tons of people have GP100s without this flat spot.
View Quote

I think we've covered the "flat spot" forcing cone issue before.  Not really the anomaly you seem to think it is.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I picked up a stainless gp version a few years ago and it's a fantastic revolver. Blasted finish is a little tough to clean but it shoots like a dream and the sights are great. I also have the normal 4 inch gp and there is no comparison between to two. If I want to shoot a magnum I will pick the Capp.

I wish yall hadn't posted all of the sp version pics because now I need to hunt one of those down.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I picked up a stainless gp version a few years ago and it's a fantastic revolver. Blasted finish is a little tough to clean but it shoots like a dream and the sights are great. I also have the normal 4 inch gp and there is no comparison between to two. If I want to shoot a magnum I will pick the Capp.

I wish yall hadn't posted all of the sp version pics because now I need to hunt one of those down.....
View Quote

They might be discontinued.  Everywhere I looked was out of stock.  It is #5774 in case you are looking it up that way.  Grab A Gun does email alerts when stuff comes back in stock though.

http://grabagun.com/catalog/product/view/id/183238

Edit:  Ruger is still listing it as in production as a Talo exclusive.  So might just be between production runs.  I got mine from CTD for about $50 cheaper than everywhere else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I think we've covered the "flat spot" forcing cone issue before.  Not really the anomaly you seem to think it is.
View Quote

The only discussion we had was on my previous thread. I know a handful of people that own GP100s and they don't have the flat spot. You mentioned in that previous thread that you have one with a flat spot, and one without.

I don't think there is anything definitive about this. What it points to is an inconsistency in Ruger's manufacturing. Given the precision of modern CNC manufacturing techniques, why would some forcing cones need to be attacked with a flat file as part of the fitting process, whereas others do not? This is an issue, that at the plant where I work, falls on the desk of the Quality Assurance/Quality Control Manager.

I don't think I would have cared if it were a standard GP100 at the subsequent price point. For a $750 Ruger that is paraded as a flagship, especially one sent to someone as a replacement for a complete dud, I don't think it's acceptable.

I tried Ruger. I put up the quid to get something nicer than their standard model. They let me down and sent me back to Smith and Wesson. I won't be found perusing Ruger's wares ever again. Personal choice based on my expectations and my experiences, and that's all I can say. I just think this is worth mentioning for anyone who wants to toss down the cash on a Wiley Clapp GP100.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Looked at my WC over the noon hour.  It has a very very slight flat spot.  Almost unnoticeable.  It appears to be there to allow for clearance of the cylinder yoke.  I'm fine with it.  Gun shoots lights out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Like mine. Drooled over it as soon as it hit the streets. Paid about 750 for it. I'm OK with the price.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Put 50 rounds of 125grn UMC hollow point .357 through mine last week.  Like the gun but have to get used to the new trigger feel.  has been to long for me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/gp100-factory-engraving.jpg

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/gp100-forcing-cone-3.jpg
View Quote

I checked my WC GP100, no flat spot at all.  The GP100 engraving does look slightly canted but I never noticed it until your post.  I think that's just the way they were made and doesn't bother me at all.  My gun looks great and shoots just as well...color me a happy camper.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I checked my WC GP100, no flat spot at all.  The GP100 engraving does look slightly canted but I never noticed it until your post.  I think that's just the way they were made and doesn't bother me at all.  My gun looks great and shoots just as well...color me a happy camper.
View Quote

Unfortunately, that just further reinforces the fact that they have some outright noticeable inconsistencies in manufacturing.

You've got people who say "Nope, no flat spot on mine" and then folks who say "Yep, I've got a flat spot, but it ain't no issue..."

This is a glaring indicator of problems with the dimensional tolerances in the frame and the forcing cone. With modern manufacturing techniques, there is no reason why one revolver wouldn't have a flat spot, while the next one needs 1mm ground off the bottom in order to fit.

To me, that is not what you should be looking at when you hold a $750-$800 Ruger in your hand. You should be looking at the creme de la creme. Like I said, maybe the very premise of a high end Ruger is flawed from the onset. They seem to be proving this in their delivery of wide variations.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Pulls Wiley Clapp out of the range bag to check for a flat spot...and there is a small one on mine.  Slight, but definitely there.

This was the first trip to the range after it sat in my safe for two years.

On to performance - it shot very well thank you very much.  I have a KGP-161 with thousands of rounds down the tube as a benchmark and the WC had a better trigger out of the box, hands down.  Very easy to stage the trigger in DA and very crisp in SA.  The timing on lockup before the hammer released was perfect, at least for me, easily repeatable over dozens of shots and much better than the 6in -100.

It took a little bit of time to get accustomed to the sights as the green dot is very different from everything else I have in the safe.  Once I found the alignment things fell into place nicely, POA and POI were very similar with 130gr .38 loads and 158gr magnum loads at 10 and 15 yards.

A couple of all-out cylinder dumps at 10 yards stayed inside of 6in, not really aiming so much as covering the POA with the big green dot.

Recoil with the magnum loads was very manageable, I think I did 6 or 7 cylinders of .357 with no ill after effects on hands or psyche.  The .38s were veritable rabbit farts.

I like the WC and plan to shoot the shit out of it for years to come.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, that just further reinforces the fact that they have some outright noticeable inconsistencies in manufacturing.

You've got people who say "Nope, no flat spot on mine" and then folks who say "Yep, I've got a flat spot, but it ain't no issue..."

This is a glaring indicator of problems with the dimensional tolerances in the frame and the forcing cone. With modern manufacturing techniques, there is no reason why one revolver wouldn't have a flat spot, while the next one needs 1mm ground off the bottom in order to fit.

To me, that is not what you should be looking at when you hold a $750-$800 Ruger in your hand. You should be looking at the creme de la creme. Like I said, maybe the very premise of a high end Ruger is flawed from the onset. They seem to be proving this in their delivery of wide variations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith does the same thing.  Its just part of the manufacturing process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top