Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 11:50:38 PM EDT
From a 4" Revolver what do you prefer, and why?

Doc Roberts recommended Winchester Partition Gold 180 Gn JHP is no longer available.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#1]
125 gr HP, 16 gr Blue Dot (NO LONGER RECOMMENDED as a charge for 125 gr 357 slugs), and a Mag primer will go thru a 4x4 like it wasnt even there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
158 gr. because penetration trumps everything else.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
125gr JHP  22gr W-296 / H-110 magnum powder.  ( max load per winchester dot com's load data )

1630fps out of a 6" L-frame.

That's over 737 ft-lbs. of energy

( here's what 1400 fps looks like.)

Or maybe a 140gr XTP with a max load of w-296/H-110
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say 125 in most cases, but there may be factors that lean other ways. If it's for a non-shooter, a small individual, etc, I might well lean toward a 110-grain magnum jhp to reduce blast somewhat; maybe a magnum-loaded 110 XTP since they tend to penetrate more than most same-weight HP bullets. Or (if it's a bedroom gun) possibly even a heavy 158-grain +P .38 load instead. Similarly, if it's for protective use out in the woods, I'd lean more toward a magnum with a heavier 158 or 180 grain JSP load.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
In my Smith 3" and 4" K framed .357 and 5" Coonan Model Bs carried the 125 gr JHP for two legged vermin.  When out in the woods switched to the Winchester 145gr STHP.

CD
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure there is a "bad" 357 load.  Some may be better than others, but just about any of them will get the job done.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure there is a "bad" 357 load.  Some may be better than others, but just about any of them will get the job done.
View Quote

Bad would be fails to expand or under penetrates. Same as any other caliber.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
158gr. XTP over a healthy dose of H110 or W296 is my choice.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a big fan of the Hornady 125 gr XTP in .38 +P loads (at 1,050 fps in a 4" barrel, using IMR 800X), and in the .357 Mag (at 1400 fps in a 4"barrel, using Win 296).

For self defense purposes the lighter 125 gr bullet has a bit less recoil than a 158 gr bullet at similar max loads and I find it to be easier to shoot accurately with faster follow up shots.

XTP bullets in general do not produce the massive expansion to 1.60 or 1.65 times their original diameter like some other bullets like the Gold Dots and Golden Sabers with lots of sharp scary looking jacket shards.  They instead expand to only 1.5 times their diameter (which is the FBI minimum) in a more traditional mushroom shape, and they tend to expand a bit slower giving them superior penetration.   I like it as it is one the few bullets that will expand consistently at .38 Special velocities, and yet not come apart at .357 velocities.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Remington Golden Saber 125 gr loads.  They are "mid-range" in terms of velocity, spec'd at 1220 fps.  

In a Ruger SP101, they are very controllable.  In a full size .357 they fell like .38 specials.  Now, I like making flash and noise with full powered 125 gr reloads but for defensive purposes, will back it down a few 100 fps and use the GS loads.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine stays loaded with 125 grain Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
There's no doubt in my mind that even the wimpiest .357 magnum factory load will easily penetrate a human being.  I prefer 125 grain Speer Gold Dots in mine but I don't use my .357 mag revolvers as primary home defense guns due to over penetration being a far more real danger than under penetration.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#14]
158 grain is my preferred load

However most people feel that 9mm is better than everything , so you should just sell me that .357 and the ammo.
Go buy a M&P or whatever Glock copy you prefer
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#15]
125 grain HPs in my stainless speed six.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#16]
125gr in my Rugers and L frames, 158gr in my J and K frames.  Usually Speer Gold Dots but I also like Winchester Ranger when i can find it.  For woods carry I generally carry some older hot 158gr Speer SJSP.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I chose 135 because I like the Speer load.  However by speed loaders are loaded with 125's
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There's no doubt in my mind that even the wimpiest .357 magnum factory load will easily penetrate a human being.  I prefer 125 grain Speer Gold Dots in mine but I don't use my .357 mag revolvers as primary home defense guns due to over penetration being a far more real danger than under penetration.
View Quote
There are several loads with the light bullets that don't make FBI minimum penetration standards.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are several loads with the light bullets that don't make FBI minimum penetration standards.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To include the fabled 125Gn SJHP
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to me, I'd like to know what people here think for factory loads what the best is for max penetration and no over penetration. I currently have a box of 158 standard pressure Gold Dots.

This guy has some decent reviews, just skip past the .357 Sig parts:

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Overpenetration doesnt concern me at all. more is better as far as I'm concerned. Underpenetration is an issue though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Overpenetration doesnt concern me at all. more is better as far as I'm concerned. Underpenetration is an issue though.
View Quote
I hope I'm not being seen as asking a dumb question, but why is that okay for you?

Myself, I am worried about others who live with me. I want 14 to 16 inches, but no more.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hope I'm not being seen as asking a dumb question, but why is that okay for you?

Myself, I am worried about others who live with me. I want 14 to 16 inches, but no more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume my bullets will pass through the target. if there are goodguys in the background I must find a better shooting angle. That may mean taking a step to either side or taking a knee. Something everyone should be practising at the range with no shoots in the foreground and background. As well as with simunitions if you can.

Misses are a greater risk to bystanders than pass throughs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I assume my bullets will pass through the target. if there are goodguys in the background I must find a better shooting angle. That may mean taking a step to either side or taking a knee. Something everyone should be practising at the range with no shoots in the foreground and background. As well as with simunitions if you can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You brought up some good points, but I still do not want over penetration if I can prevent it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You brought up some good points, but I still do not want over penetration if I can prevent it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't avoid it if you want adequate penetration.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:52:12 AM EDT
[#26]
If you have a fixed sight 4 incher, I'd just go with what shoots to point of aim.
If you have an adjustable sight model, you'll have to do a little research on penetration, expansion, etc. of the various bullets available, but I wouldn't discount using some of
the old designs, like the sjhp.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
158 gr. because penetration trumps everything else.
View Quote

yep it is great on windshields and car doors too/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top