Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2014 9:31:03 PM EDT
Found a model 49 locally that I am going to look at. Listed as being in 90% condition for $425.

Opinions of the gun? Pros and Cons? Pics of your guns?

It is in 38 special and is not rated for +P rounds.

Thanks for your help.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I like mine. It was my dad's backup piece that was stolen years ago. It was recovered by the state police after it was used in a robbery and was returned to me. I had it refinished and slapped a pair of Barami hip grips on it. It's a great gun and I've never had any issue shooting +P ammo in it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Found a model 49 locally that I am going to look at. Listed as being in 90% condition for $425.

Thanks for your help.
View Quote

Is it a non-dash model? All dash models are +P rated by S&W.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the humpbacks, super accurate, easy to conceal and can still cock the hammer for single action shots. I can't think of any cons.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for your help.

View Quote

For the same money, I'd get a new 638 Airweight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If it truly is in 90% condition and it locks up solid it is worth that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I paid 430 for mine a few months back. I really like it, but after shooting about 100 rds the hump was irritating the web between thumb and finger. Great little piece, I just wish I was more accurate with it. I think a set of Uncle Mike's  will help but I'm really digging the wood grips it has, I forget the brand. I say go for it.
ETA: I have the 649-1
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Priced a little high IMO with new j's about the same price. I much prefer the all steel versions to the alloy. The extra weight is not noticed on my ankle but makes the guns much more comfortable to shoot. There is a reason they are called experts guns. They are know to be difficult to shoot well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I paid 430 for mine a few months back. I really like it, but after shooting about 100 rds the hump was irritating the web between thumb and finger. Great little piece, I just wish I was more accurate with it. I think a set of Uncle Mike's  will help but I'm really digging the wood grips it has, I forget the brand. I say go for it.
View Quote

Maybe try the hogue gripper?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:48:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it similar to the UM's? I like the small, 2-finger style grips for these little guns. Any bigger and it kinda defeats the purpose of these nice little guns. It gets frustrating shooting them because I'm very accurate with all my other pistols.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if that's a good price or not, but I've got an early 60's mod. 49 that used to belong to my Dad, great gun and as tight as a new one. Love revolvers but never been interested in snubbies as carry pieces, this has more sentimental value than anything else, so it's mainly a range gun for me. So the exposed hammer is nice for a sweet SA trigger pull. I've shot lightweight DA only revolvers and the heavier trigger pull seriously affects my accuracy, they are definitely not beginner guns. Mine has the overmolded rubber grips with a curved back like the factory wood grips, Hogue maybe? Fits my hand better than the factory grips but still a handful even with that heavy steel frame. Seems like that curved back of the grip makes the gun want to 'roll up' on recoil like an old cowboy gun with the plowhandle grips.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Priced a little high IMO with new j's about the same price. I much prefer the all steel versions to the alloy. The extra weight is not noticed on my ankle but makes the guns much more comfortable to shoot. There is a reason they are called experts guns. They are know to be difficult to shoot well.
View Quote

I thought so on the price.....but I could not bring myself to buy another new S&W with a lock.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is it similar to the UM's? I like the small, 2-finger style grips for these little guns. Any bigger and it kinda defeats the purpose of these nice little guns. It gets frustrating shooting them because I'm very accurate with all my other pistols.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO, it only defeats the purpose if you are only carrying in the pocket.  

sorryitscalledthetamer

I'm not condoning that website.  I just googled it and it was the first place that popped up with a pic.  I got mine from CTD.  Although I'm not real crazy about them either.  LOL.  You can get them on amazon I think.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

sorryitscalledthetamer

I'm not condoning that website.  I just googled it and it was the first place that popped up with a pic.  I got mine from CTD.  Although I'm not real crazy about them either.  LOL.  You can get them on amazon I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorryitscalledthetamer

Cool,  thanks!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Finally found a pic with my 49.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your help.

Non dash model, so it is 38 special only.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#16]
The ability to shoot single action, and still have a pretty much snagfree design, is a big plus to me.
The price is a little high IMO for a model 49; not bad though.
The slip on Hogue bantams, and the older Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek rubber grips are about as small as you can get for these guns.
I agree some grips can be a little big for the J frames, unless you are using it as a home defense gun, but if it's in a pancake, ankle or even iwb holster, it's not going to be a big deal, to go with Pachmayr Compacs, Sile finger-grooves or the one Hogue model,(hard to find), that covers the front, back and bottom of the grip frame.
They will all make a model 49, easier to shoot, in DA, and some, like the Compac, (at least for me), can change how the sights line up, elevation-wise,

The newer 649 model is nice, but it's rated for 357mag., heavier, and the barrel seems a bit longer, and thicker, and may not fit in some older holsters.
It does have some advantages over the older model 49, in that two calibers can be shot out of it, it's SS, which means less chance of rusting, and it has a pinned in front sight, that can
be replaced if you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top