User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, but he makes a valid point.  The guy on the "defense" isn't the one shooting.  Somebody that is attacking you doesn't usually do a pole dance and all that.   I suppose they might after you pull your gun, but then it would be stupid to go on the offense, like shown in that video.   If someone is attacking you, they are closing with you, not running around dancing.  It is my understanding that in a SD scenario, we are either actively diffusing it with force, your weapon, or trying to break contact and get away if at all possible.  I can't see any scenario where I'd be chasing a guy down like that unless he grabbed one of my kids.  At that point he would be much less likely to perform those type of defensive jukes.  Of course that would present another set of problems though.  

Your point is taken too, but I agree with what 220 said, the video is a bit out of context.
View Quote
He makes zero point, I was responding to a very specific question about what I meant when I said "people are hard to shoot".

Try to turn it into something else all you want, that was the entire point of posting the vid, as an extreme example of what I think of when I say that.

Maybe you should add watching actual SD videos as well.  It might be a little eye opening.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
No, they are not obsolete.

People still carry knives for self-defense, which are far less effective at stopping a threat than revolvers.

Just because something is not at the tip of the tactical spear does not make it obsolete.

Carry what is comfortable/easy to manipulate/whatever.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He makes zero point, I was responding to a very specific question about what I meant when I said "people are hard to shoot".
Try to turn it into something else all you want, that was the entire point of posting the vid, as an extreme example of what I think of when I say that.

Maybe you should add watching actual SD videos as well.  It might be a little eye opening.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, but he makes a valid point.  The guy on the "defense" isn't the one shooting.  Somebody that is attacking you doesn't usually do a pole dance and all that.   I suppose they might after you pull your gun, but then it would be stupid to go on the offense, like shown in that video.   If someone is attacking you, they are closing with you, not running around dancing.  It is my understanding that in a SD scenario, we are either actively diffusing it with force, your weapon, or trying to break contact and get away if at all possible.  I can't see any scenario where I'd be chasing a guy down like that unless he grabbed one of my kids.  At that point he would be much less likely to perform those type of defensive jukes.  Of course that would present another set of problems though.  

Your point is taken too, but I agree with what 220 said, the video is a bit out of context.

OK, you're probably right.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This thread is about revolvers for self defense.  You happened to post a video of a revolver user (a shitty user at that) using a revolver as an Offensive gun, and failing badly.  But this is to support your point that "people are hard to shoot".  I just find it ironic that out of all the Internet videos you could have picked, it was this one.  

Just coincidence I take it?  

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This thread is about revolvers for self defense.  You happened to post a video of a revolver user (a shitty user at that) using a revolver as an Offensive gun, and failing badly.  But this is to support your point that "people are hard to shoot".  I just find it ironic that out of all the Internet videos you could have picked, it was this one.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you think of a better video that demonstrates how close people can be to each other, shooting at contact distance, and even has a post shooting interview where the man shot shares details like not even knowing he was hit?

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So, not sure what you want?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure what you mean by this. You mean that because they're hard to hit that most rounds miss, or something else..?"

Nothing more. I assumed that was what you meant; I just hate assuming. I actually agree; hitting things in general with a handgun is more difficult than most people realize.

Quoted:
...You happened to post a video of a revolver user (a shitty user at that) using a revolver as an Offensive gun, and failing badly...

I've seen that video before and honestly, more than anything else it strikes me an example of "why a short-barrel .22 hugely and irredeemably sucks as an anti-personnel gun". Don't know the model of gun used here, other than being a nine-shot .22 snubnose. Seven hits point blank, and the shootee not only isn't 'stopped', he stands and raises his hands in what can only be described as a "wtf" gesture. After being shot point-blank, seven times.

My 1 1/8" snubby .22 revolver gets slightly less than 45 ft/lbs of energy even with minimags; that's ridiculous for defense against anything larger than a garden gnome.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nothing more. I assumed that was what you meant; I just hate assuming. I actually agree; hitting things in general with a handgun is more difficult than most people realize.
I've seen that video before and honestly, more than anything else it strikes me an example of "why a short-barrel .22 hugely and irredeemably sucks as an anti-personnel gun". Don't know the model of gun used here, other than being a nine-shot .22 snubnose. Seven hits point blank, and the shootee not only isn't 'stopped', he stands and raises his hands in what can only be described as a "wtf" gesture. My 1 1/8" snubby .22 revolver gets slightly less than 45 ft/lbs of energy even with minimags; that's ridiculous for defense against anything larger than a garden gnome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure what you mean by this. You mean that because they're hard to hit that most rounds miss, or something else..?"

Quoted:

...You happened to post a video of a revolver user (a shitty user at that) using a revolver as an Offensive gun, and failing badly...

I've seen that video before and honestly, more than anything else it strikes me an example of "why a short-barrel .22 hugely and irredeemably sucks as an anti-personnel gun". Don't know the model of gun used here, other than being a nine-shot .22 snubnose. Seven hits point blank, and the shootee not only isn't 'stopped', he stands and raises his hands in what can only be described as a "wtf" gesture. My 1 1/8" snubby .22 revolver gets slightly less than 45 ft/lbs of energy even with minimags; that's ridiculous for defense against anything larger than a garden gnome.

Cool beans, on the same page the.
That video is also good for showing why training and practice is important too... the shooter could have taken a few steps back...  more chance of success.   It's actually got a ton of relevant application to use for SD.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That video has zero with using a revolver in a defensive situation.

Why is it anytime defensive carry revolvers are discussed, you bring in red herring arguments?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a perfect video to explain survival instinct in a gun fight...

That video has zero with using a revolver in a defensive situation.

Why is it anytime defensive carry revolvers are discussed, you bring in red herring arguments?

Don't you get it?!?!? What our little buddy is trying to tell us is had the handgun been a semi-auto, 9-shot 22 LR, Mr. Curry would have died after the first shot! See that's the difference! The lethality of a cartridge is dependent on the firearms from which they're fired. (Tongue firmly inserted in cheek)
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't you get it?!?!? What our little buddy is trying to tell us is had the handgun been a semi-auto, 9-shot 22 LR, Mr. Curry would have died after the first shot! See that's the difference! The lethality of a cartridge is dependent on the firearms from which they're fired. (Tongue firmly inserted in cheek)

View Quote
Way to prove that the revolver sub forum is nothing more than an echo chamber.  I'd say "GD's that way" but in GD it's actually easier to have discussions.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Those white grips are great.  Could we get some details?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top